Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #41
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
Well looks like I hit another snag. The switch works to turn on the camera, but when I turn it off, the camera doesnt show when I put it in reverse. I got to give it another look tomorrow. Any ideas?
Check your connection from the REV wire to the switch terminal.
See below:

Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #42
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1)[...] I had what looked like a combination of both pics on my connector. [...]The correct one is the one next to the yellow wire towards the top of the connector when connected.
Relik, Do you have a picture of your IN1 connector to share?

Quote:
Well looks like I hit another snag. The switch works to turn on the camera, but when I turn it off, the camera doesnt show when I put it in reverse. I got to give it another look tomorrow. Any ideas?
Dumb question, but are you certain that you used a SPDT switch? If so, did you test your connection before installing it? I always use a multimeter to confirm the operation of the switch before installing it and after I solder my wires on the terminals.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #43
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
OK FOUND THE CULPRIT!

Alright I pulled out a multimeter and narrowed down the error. Then i removed the steering panel and found this! Theres a harness (~clock spring) that pressed against the added switch and tore off a tab.

So...I put a new switch and soldered them @ 90 degrees....

I guess thats another tip for you guys hah....guess I was one heck of a guinea pig

Oh and here's how my connector looks. The correct one to cut is the red one to the left. I previously cut the red one towards the right which is incorrect.

Thanks again guys for all your help and suggestions!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #44
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Good to see you found the problem.

Looking back at the pictures in this thread, I can see how you got confused about which red wire to cut.

The REV red wire *should* be in the same pin location regardless of different accessories I would think. I wonder if Crom can help confirm this. It's in the same position on yours as mine, but it's a bit tricky to tell on Crom's pics.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #45
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
I finally completed this mod this afternoon after having a hell of a time finding an SPDT switch that fits in place of a dash blank. I'm happy to say I was successful!

For anyone interested, this is the switch I used: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/WR13ATN/WR13ATN-ND/2107124 (it's also available with quick disconnects instead of screw terminals on the back side). Fits great with a couple layers of electrical tape around it; no need to dremmel the socket.

I also left some notes about other switches I tried in this thread.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #46

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Damn... very nice. I wanted to mount the switch in that position originally.. but didn't feel like drilling out the blank insert that was in there. Found one switch that looked like the right size to fit in that hole, but no go. So I just went with the under-the-wheel column toggle switch. I suppose I could still do it though.
Nice find.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #47
p4l4acv2 is on a distinguished road
p4l4acv2's Tacoma Gallery
Great job on this mod, I was able to finish mine by following it to the line. Had a little trouble with the Add-on circuit but figured it out eventually. Anyway, as somebody stated the mirror video does not stays on all the time, although I do see the video on my stereo. Is there a way to defeat this on-time delay for the mirror video?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #48
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
CROM,
Can I just ask for some company (HELP!) when I'm ready to connect my back-up camera to my mirror? I'd buy you lunch and get a 6 pack for you. LOL. No, I'm serious! As motivated as I am, I just can't bring myself to start something that I feel I can't finish on my own. Food for thought. Hell, I'd even drive to you if I needed to. A mini-mod day so to speak. Who knows.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #49
sbram500 is on a distinguished road
sbram500's Tacoma Gallery

Hey Crom, What is the little red switch next to your hood pop? Ejector seat? Missle arming?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #50
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
CROM,
Can I just ask for some company (HELP!) when I'm ready to connect my back-up camera to my mirror? I'd buy you lunch and get a 6 pack for you. LOL. No, I'm serious! As motivated as I am, I just can't bring myself to start something that I feel I can't finish on my own. Food for thought. Hell, I'd even drive to you if I needed to. A mini-mod day so to speak. Who knows.
Let me know when you're ready and I'll see if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbram500 View Post

Hey Crom, What is the little red switch next to your hood pop? Ejector seat? Missle arming?
Good eye. It's from one of my other mods. Day Time Running Light toggle switch.

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #51
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Let me know when you're ready and I'll see if I can help.

Good eye. It's from one of my other mods. Day Time Running Light toggle switch.

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)
Any day of the week after 12PM. Sat & sun are usually open.
I've got the back-up camera on the tailgate and the mirror with the monitor both installed. That's it. I'm sure I'd need to get some supplies at Home Depot or radio shack probably before and during the install which is what I wanted to avoid. How about this Friday? I'm sure you must have a normal work schedule like most.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #52
=toytruck= is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
=toytruck='s Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #53
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Crom,
I'm attempting this bad boy tomorrow. You down? I should be starting around 10AM and will be using your thread to assist. Should be fun.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #54
ubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shedubugarrity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ubugarrity's Tacoma Gallery
I have the reverse camera video tapped behind the fuse block and sent to my Eclipse head unit. When in reverse, I get the image on the rear view mirror and my head unit. If I shift out of reverse, both images go off. But if I manually turn on the rear view camera through the head unit, the camera works and displays on the head unit only for about a minute. After that, just black screen. It seems like the camera is still getting power for about a minute after you shift out of reverse but the monitor in the mirror turns off. Can anyone explain this and does this mod ANY time you turn it on?

Thanks, John
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #55
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod and was super easy using the schematic in post 41. When first looking at the pics in the OP it seemed really complicated. All you really need is the schematic and you're good to go. I put the switch down by the foglight switch to fill in one of the blanks. Went to three stores before finding the SPDT switch (auto stores don't seem to carry them).

I'm a novice electrician so my mods usually take 2-3 times longer than advertised but this only took me about 30 minutes. If I would've known it was this easy, I would have done it months ago.

thanks and I'll get pics up tomorrow!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #56
FFMedic is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
FFMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this to my '12, works like a champ. Thanks to the OP. Like this position much better than the above the above the mirror.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #57
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubugarrity View Post
I have the reverse camera video tapped behind the fuse block and sent to my Eclipse head unit. When in reverse, I get the image on the rear view mirror and my head unit. If I shift out of reverse, both images go off. But if I manually turn on the rear view camera through the head unit, the camera works and displays on the head unit only for about a minute. After that, just black screen. It seems like the camera is still getting power for about a minute after you shift out of reverse but the monitor in the mirror turns off. Can anyone explain this and does this mod ANY time you turn it on?

Thanks, John
I'm getting the same thing with my Kenwood HU. Until I saw your post I was thinking it was something in the HU.
Looks like the Taco system is still putting out +12V for a short time after coming out of reverse.

I've got a query into Kenwood. I'm wondering if the HU has a switched +12V available coming out of their harness when the rear camera input is activated. Maybe I'll ask Crutchfield they seem pretty checked out.

Whit

Just chatted with tech at Crutchfield and he said Kenwood doesn't provide a switched +12V when camera function is enabled. However he was kind enough to email me the pinout on my Kenwood.

So...just have to find out where that timed +12V is coming from.
I really don't want the camera voltage on all the time. It would be nice to be able to re-initiate the existing timed voltage when the Taco comes out of reverse. Then we could just ping it when we want it...suppose if we're gonna do that might as well install the SPDT switch...fuhrigg.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #58
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
OP, Great write up +1. 1st time I read through this, and looks simple enough.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #59
vwbuggsy is on a distinguished road
vwbuggsy's Tacoma Gallery
I love this mod, thanks so much for writing it up in detail and with the pictures.

The only difference in how I did it and the write up is that I used a different switch. I didn't see myself needing the rear-view on for very long when I'm not in reverse, just for quick checks, and I was worried I'd forgot to throw the toggle switchback to normal when I was done. So I used a momentary push button style switch instead of the toggle:

Radio Shack part 275-1549
SPDT Momentary Mini Switch

While the button is pressed in, the rear view camera is on. When it's not pushed in, everything functions like usual. Unlike the toggle switch though you have to be careful which power terminal is hooked to the reverse wire and which one goes to the add-a-fuse. You want the "normally open" (NO) terminal on the switch to go to the add a fuse and the "normally closed" (NC) terminal to go to the reverse wire.

I drilled the blank between the bed AC power button and fog-light switch and placed it there.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #60

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
I've left it on by mistake a few times... Didn't matter once the truck was turned off - it went off then.
Show us a pic of your switch install!