Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #141
jage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to all
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
^LOL. Not to my knowledge and in my opinion, probably not going to happen. If it's that important to you to have it on all the time, why not invest in a dedicated camera setup and leave the stock one alone?
I will, if it's necessary, but I see no reason to just ignore all that nice hardware and wiring that's already there. I'm not just going to slap a 3rd party system on top and ignore the stock setup... gah, it's like putting a TV in front of your TV because you couldn't figure out how to make the input channel work...
Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #142
scorpio382 is on a distinguished road
Name: D-Man
scorpio382's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waheed View Post
I am a have to come look for ya when I am in SD for help
I have a 2012 Tacoma , did all what the pics say to do. It works but when I go into reverse my rear camera don't go on. The camera only works when I use the switch. Can't figure it out.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #143
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio382 View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma , did all what the pics say to do. It works but when I go into reverse my rear camera don't go on. The camera only works when I use the switch. Can't figure it out.
Check your circuit against the simplified diagram I made in this post

I re-hosted the image.. didn't notice until now it had expired off Tinypic.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #144
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Switch: http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZCCM-5RC (Rocker: VVPZCCM-5RC)(SPDT Switch: V6D2UHNB)

Here is how it looks right now:

(The IN1 connector is the one that has the rear camera wire in it.)

Success? Suggestions?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #145
scorpio382 is on a distinguished road
Name: D-Man
scorpio382's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
For clarity...

That isthe way hookeed upthe wires. Ill check cc the wire that goes into the reverse postition wire. . Thanks ill try it again. Ill give back that fixs it.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #146
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Switch: http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZCCM-5RC (Rocker: VVPZCCM-5RC)(SPDT Switch: V6D2UHNB)

Here is how it looks right now:

(The IN1 connector is the one that has the rear camera wire in it.)

Success? Suggestions?
Looks right to me.

Essentially the same as my drawing above, except you have two status LEDs. (and, by your drawing, you've cut the red wire on the other side of the IN1 connector. Electrically, no difference)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #147
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd...awesome
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #148
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Just used this one today on my '12

My IMMRYO mirror bracket would have prevented me from putting the switch by the mirror and I like it here better anyway.

Thanks for the easy to follow write-up!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #149
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
Has the 5 minute timeout for the monitor ever been figured? This thread implies it's a screen saver, but I can't find the discussion anywhere.
Any ideas?
I was talking with The Traveler yesterday about this mod, and he says the camera's power supply is 6 volts. This is a head-scratching surprise to me, since it makes no sense to have everything in the truck run on 12v except for one freaking thing! Wtf??
I'll poke around a bit today and see if I can verify this. Hopefully I can find a/the 6v source so I can do the mod without the timeout.
The timeout happens, according to The Traveler, because the 12v is cooking the camera, and the thermal protection is shutting it down.

Anyone be able to point me to the thread that discusses the 6v issue? Still looking......
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #150
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
I was talking with The Traveler yesterday about this mod, and he says the camera's power supply is 6 volts. This is a head-scratching surprise to me, since it makes no sense to have everything in the truck run on 12v except for one freaking thing! Wtf??
I'll poke around a bit today and see if I can verify this. Hopefully I can find a/the 6v source so I can do the mod without the timeout.
The timeout happens, according to The Traveler, because the 12v is cooking the camera, and the thermal protection is shutting it down.

Anyone be able to point me to the thread that discusses the 6v issue? Still looking......
Might stick a 3-legged 5-volt regulator in there, that 5 V might be enough to run the camera. If not put a diode in the center leg to ground - that'll give you 6.3 volts out.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #151
jage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to all
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I recall seeing it when I was looking for replacement cameras, i.e. a second bed camera, not monitors. I'll look around for the thread when I get a minute.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...em-camera.html

and maybe

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-question.html
my thread but has a link in p#4

hopefully one of those will get you pointed in the right direction, would love a solution to the timeout!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #152
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
So I haven't had a chance to dive into the camera mod, but while wiring up an override switch for my reverse lights I did find a couple of wires running ~5.5v with ignition on/engine off.
Since I'm in the middle of last-minute prepping and packing for an 11-day trip to the PacNW, I'm going to be brief.....and not responding for a couple weeks.

I don't remember the threads, and my brief time re-searching for them didn't yield any results, but in a couple of the threads about wiring up an override switch for reverse lights I found that the yellow wire in the (don't know names) connector shown is for the positive side of the trailer plug reverse circuit. While poking around in the connector, two of the pins (I'll revisit this in a couple weeks to let you know which ones) read about 5.5 volts. I suspect one of these pins is for the fuel level sender, as when I unplugged the connector I lost my fuel gauge.

Anyone know if it's possible to tie into either of these wires for a 6v feed to the camera override switch?

For those about to get on my case about posting derp, you can go out and poke around with a multimeter yourself. Driver's kick panel, second or so connector from the bottom, white -- just follow the harness that goes along the door rail and ducks through the sheetmetal under the driver's seat and then goes back to the tail lights. Unplug the connector and poke around with the DC voltage probe the connector half still mounted, leave the ignition on when you probe.
I wish I had a full, detailed wiring schematic of my truck......
Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #153
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone know if it's possible to tie into either of these wires for a 6v feed to the camera override switch?
I'd guess possible, if it's a ground reading system, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the last part of the thread: It's not like finding or making 5v or 6v is the problem right?

I mean what scarce things I've dug up seem to indicate that the mirror monitor has a screen saver built in, which I take to imply solid state programming. Powering it with 5v, 6v, 12v or trying to fry it with 24v shouldn't change the time it stays on, as it ticks out after 5 minutes- not when it's physically "too hot" or something as there would be variable results on a hot vs. cold day, direct sunlight etc.

So even if you jack into your fuel system, aren't you going to either still need a switch or time out like the rest of us chumps who just slapped it into a 12v line with the much easier add-a-fuse option?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious, because lower voltage is as easy as finding a radio shack, but I can't imagine it would make anything better.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #154
hobiesan is on a distinguished road

hobiesan's Tacoma Gallery
great post

I've wanted this feature since I've owned my truck in '09. Just found this on the forum. Great site! sub for later.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #155
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
Will using a 12v source hurt the display?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #156

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
Will using a 12v source hurt the display?
No. That's the source that it gets when you shift into reverse. This mod just provides it with an alternate 12v source when you click the switch.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #157
CampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: [SSG] Intelligent special force
Name: Dmitry
CampGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CampGuy
Hi Com,
I just did that mod, and checked it again and again, everything perfect except the camera turned itself off after 5 minutes..!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #158
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampGuy View Post
Hi Com,
I just did that mod, and checked it again and again, everything perfect except the camera turned itself off after 5 minutes..!
well if you read you'll find:
Attached Thumbnails
09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod-irony09.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #159
CampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant futureCampGuy has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: [SSG] Intelligent special force
Name: Dmitry
CampGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CampGuy
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
well if you read you'll find:

This is not even close to resolve the problem.
Still shutting off after 5 minutes.