Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up 09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

This mod allows independent operation of the Rear View Camera for +'09 trucks. It is a very simple mod that simply sends +12 volts to the backup camera and activates it whenever you want.

So in other words when the switch is in position #1, the backup camera works like it does from the factory, only when the transmission is in reverse. If the switch is in position #2, it will work anytime and it does not matter what position the transmission is in.

My method is a simple variation of the original modification created by Aalders. He put the switch up high above the rear view mirror. With my method the switch is on the dash. That is the only difference between the two methods.

Thanks to Lurkin, PSU_Taco_85, and caribe makaira for checking my work on the electrical diagram. It's nice to have help.

What makes this mod possible is that the camera wiring has a junction point behind the coin tray which makes tapping into it super convenient for adding a switch on the dash.

Here are the basic steps.

Gather supplies,
  • (1) x SPDT switch
  • (3) x pieces of 10" hookup wire
  • (3) x Male slide connectors
  • (3) x Female slide connectors
  • (1) x Add-a-circuit with appropriate ATM fuse (3 amp) and matching ATM fuse for the one you replace in your truck. The trucks OEM fuses are low profile and incompatible with the add-a-circuit product. Hard to explain in a few sentences, but clear when you get one.
  • Some heat shrink to protect the switch terminals.

Gather your supplies and solder the harness to the switch terminals. I used a Single pole Double Throw switch (SPDT), it has three terminals. The terminal in the middle is T2 and that needs to go to the camera; in my photos I used yellow wire for that. T1, and T3 will either to go the REV wire or your add-a-circuit, and it does not matter which one goes where provided that you made T2 go to the camera. I used red wire for T1 and T3.

I wanted to protect my harness with some split-wire loom.

Removed coin tray and find a suitable location for switch

Find connector IN1
Your connector may look different and have fewer wires in it!!! My connector is full because of the accessories (Bluetooth) that came with my truck from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
The red wire going into IN1 is the one you need to cut and wire up as he showed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrunk View Post
[PICTURED IN THIS QUOTE IS THE IN1 CONNECTOR FROM a 2012 sr5 with stock audio, no entune. Hope this helps. I had to use a multimeter amd just held my breath when I cut that wire.

It is the red wire angling downward.

Find the Rev Wire pictured below OR See PIC ABOVE DEPENDING ON YOUR TRUCK'S ACCESSORIES.

Remove factory insulation and cut the Rev wire and add slide connectors.

Install switch and route harness
If you use the same location for the switch, make your harness about 14" in length so you have ample wire, trim as necessary.

Installed SPDT switch

Finished connecting the slide connectors
NOTE: Read the instructions that came with your Add-a-circuit. You can't simply select an empty fuse slot--it will have no power. You must choose a fuse to unseat and put the Add-a-circuit in there.

After testing the modification, I made it nice and neat
Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up!! I dont have a camera on mine since its an 06' but I'd be all over this thread if I did have one!!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet guide, subbed to remind myself to tackle this
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the good write-up, Crom. I'm all done my mod - just need to mount the switch. Everything works perfectly.

I had only two wires going into IN1 (differences in truck accessories). The steps in Crom's write up are still correct. The red wire going into IN1 is the one you need to cut and wire up as he showed.

For anyone confused about the fuse sizes...
Low-profile mini fuse (left), regular mini fuse (right).
The regular minis will fit fine in the low-profile mini slots in the truck.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
I like it !! Subbed
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
MikeF is on a distinguished road
MikeF's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 09 with the backupcamera and would love to tackle this, I dont have the mirror for the cam though but an alpine deck that supports camera input. Think this is doable to allow the picture to showup on the screen of my deck? its RCA from the deck.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
i have the 09 with the backupcamera and would love to tackle this, I dont have the mirror for the cam though but an alpine deck that supports camera input. Think this is doable to allow the picture to showup on the screen of my deck? its RCA from the deck.
I have no idea. However, I do recall reading some reports about it working with aftermarket stereos. You'll have to search to find others that have your deck and see how they made it work. Also, see this thread here: 09 Always-On Rear View Camera Wiring diagram (check my work) . In the OP is an attachment with a wiring diagram which shows how the factory rear view mirror obtains the video feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
Sub. added to the list of mods, great write up.
Thx.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet write up! I have a double din installed and will do this mod but is there a write up to add it to where it displays on the screen as well?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
MikeF is on a distinguished road
MikeF's Tacoma Gallery
there should be soon once I have a chance to get at mine ! aha
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
FevaDawg is on a distinguished road
FevaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Is all that wire necessary?

First post here on TW! Been cruzin my '11 DCSB, lookin for mods, lovin this forum so far. But I am wondering what is the difference in doing the anytime mod with all this extra connectors and fuses compared to the old method?http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ew-camera.html
Does the old way short the camera after a while? Or is it just because of the location difference? Sweet write up none the less!

EDIT: HA nm, found Crom's post answered my question!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
I always wanted to do this, but never got the balls to. Now that there's a pretty write-up, I don't have many excuses. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
scotch is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
scotch's Tacoma Gallery
Do the reverse lights turn on when you switch on the camera?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
redz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to behold

redz80's Tacoma Gallery
subed for later