Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Amsoil or Redline for Gear Oil

Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Gerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud of
Gerry Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil or Redline for Gear Oil

Which do you prefer. I am going to replace my manual tranny fluid. I have a 3rd gear that refuses to slide in It kinda bumps in when it gets warm.... O' say after the first 5 minutes.. When I had the rear springs replaced I asked the dealer to check the tranny and the rep told me "they all do that and it is fine!" I don't buy it. I test drove a couple of 6-speeds and the first AC I tried did not have problems. Anyhoo.. I have read the raves about Redline MT-90 and that of Amsoil.. I can't find either local so I have to mail order.. Any preference ?
Thanks..
Old 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i say either one will be fine. both are outstanding oils.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
I used Mobil 1 75W90 in the rear diff, tranny, transfer case and front diff.

I've used both Motul and Redline in other vehicles (Audi/Mazda RX7 racecar), can't say I've noticed that one was far superior to the other.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bauer View Post
I used Mobil 1 75W90 in the rear diff, tranny, transfer case and front diff.

I've used both Motul and Redline in other vehicles (Audi/Mazda RX7 racecar), can't say I've noticed that one was far superior to the other.
u change ur tranny fluid? u have a auto or manual? they say my auto is a new type and I dont have to change it for 100K miles. I dont have the dipstick to check tranny fluid
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in Diffs and transfer case..
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
u change ur tranny fluid? u have a auto or manual? they say my auto is a new type and I dont have to change it for 100K miles. I dont have the dipstick to check tranny fluid
6-speed manual.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Gerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud of
Gerry Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies.. Six of one etc. Found a place that sells the Redline for $9 a quart.. Think that is the route I will go..
Will let you know if it does anything for my problem..
Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.scribd.com/doc/337564/Stu...woilshoppercom
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'll put my vote for Amsoil - I'm using it for engine oil, but not going to mess with what isn't broken or easy to fix myself (the tranny). I believe that the redline price you found is quite good.

For Amsoil you can try the dealer locator.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I'll put my vote for Amsoil - I'm using it for engine oil, but not going to mess with what isn't broken or easy to fix myself (the tranny). I believe that the redline price you found is quite good.

For Amsoil you can try the dealer locator.
I called my dealers and no answer
I dont want to order it online, then i have to pay for shipping and tax, then it would get too pricey. Prices too high, then i rather just take mobil 1
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
Reading all those test results,I'm even happier I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
yup,

when the time comes it'll be Amsoil SG in the Transfer case and Front. Diff

Redline MT-90 in the Manual Transmission

And Dino (Valvoline or Penn 80s-90 and LSD additive in the rear)

Wish I could use Amsoil all around but not good for LSD
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yup,

when the time comes it'll be Amsoil SG in the Transfer case and Front. Diff

Redline MT-90 in the Manual Transmission

And Dino (Valvoline or Penn 80s-90 and LSD additive in the rear)

Wish I could use Amsoil all around but not good for LSD
Amsoil is fine with the LSD.
I was told the Severe Gear oil has tha posi additive.
If it makes you feel better you can add the additive with the Amsoil Severe Gear.
I did.
NOTE: AMSOIL Synthetic Gear Lubes do not require the use of this additive. However, not all differentials respond the same and if chatter is noticed, the addition of AMSOIL Slip Lock will eliminate it. For chattering differentials not running AMSOIL Gear Lube, this product is an excellent solution to the problem.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ada.aspx
Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
Yeah, but I bet the LSD in the 05-08 will chatter with any syn. Rather not risk it.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, but I bet the LSD in the 05-08 will chatter with any syn. Rather not risk it.
It may not and if somehow it does,you can add the 4 ounce additive.
I added the additive when I changed over and have no problems.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ht=lsd+binding

this is why I'm hesitant.

But don't worry, you have an auto LSD in the 09's so it seems yours will have no problems. No cause for concern.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Reading the first two pages it seems Mobil 1 is the only fluid that caused a problem.
I have no problems.
A Amsoil Rep said the Severe Gear has the friction modifier but I could add a 4 ounce bottle of any brand modifier if I'd like.
I chose to add Amsoil's friction modifier just in case.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Reading the first two pages it seems Mobil 1 is the only fluid that caused a problem.
I have no problems.
A Amsoil Rep said the Severe Gear has the friction modifier but I could add a 4 ounce bottle of any brand modifier if I'd like.
I chose to add Amsoil's friction modifier just in case.
Wise decision.... However, I think the 2009 moved away from a traditional mechanical LSD.

They use a auto LSD which utilizes the computer and brake control to limite wheel slip. Therein lies the difference, hence no mech. lsd, no chatter.

"It's basically cost-cutting on Toyota's part. A mechanical LSD is a clutch operated device within the rear end (differential assembly) of the Tacoma w/ Sport Package 2005-2008. On an open differential, there isn't such a device, and when a difference in wheel speed between the left and right rear wheels is achieved, power is delivered solely to the spinning wheel since it has the least resistance in a wheelspin situation. With a mechanical LSD, the difference in wheel speed is reduced (not eliminated) because the clutch can partially lockup (hence why it's called limited slip) the differential, thus allowing power to reach the wheel with traction. The amount of differential lock is limited, so LSDs can be overpowered. The threshold is usually dependent on how aggressive the LSD clutch is, and usually, road going production trucks generally don't see very aggressive LSDs from the factory.

Toyota's new Auto-LSD system is completely electronic, eliminating the need for the mechanical LSD. This system uses the rear brakes to limit the amount of wheelspin achieved. Think of the clutch in the mechanical LSD as an internal brake when its activated except it acts on the actual differential and not the wheels. When the Auto-LSD system detects a wheel spinning faster than the other (through the ABS speed sensor), it activates the rear brake on that wheel so the other wheel can get power.

They have the same premise, they just go about it in different ways. An electronically simulated LSD only wears the vehicle's brakes, whereas a vehicle equipped with an LSD wears the clutch/clutches in the LSD itself."
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wise decision.... However, I think the 2009 moved away from a traditional mechanical LSD.

They use a auto LSD which utilizes the computer and brake control to limite wheel slip. Therein lies the difference, hence no mech. lsd, no chatter.

"It's basically cost-cutting on Toyota's part. A mechanical LSD is a clutch operated device within the rear end (differential assembly) of the Tacoma w/ Sport Package 2005-2008. On an open differential, there isn't such a device, and when a difference in wheel speed between the left and right rear wheels is achieved, power is delivered solely to the spinning wheel since it has the least resistance in a wheelspin situation. With a mechanical LSD, the difference in wheel speed is reduced (not eliminated) because the clutch can partially lockup (hence why it's called limited slip) the differential, thus allowing power to reach the wheel with traction. The amount of differential lock is limited, so LSDs can be overpowered. The threshold is usually dependent on how aggressive the LSD clutch is, and usually, road going production trucks generally don't see very aggressive LSDs from the factory.

Toyota's new Auto-LSD system is completely electronic, eliminating the need for the mechanical LSD. This system uses the rear brakes to limit the amount of wheelspin achieved. Think of the clutch in the mechanical LSD as an internal brake when its activated except it acts on the actual differential and not the wheels. When the Auto-LSD system detects a wheel spinning faster than the other (through the ABS speed sensor), it activates the rear brake on that wheel so the other wheel can get power.

They have the same premise, they just go about it in different ways. An electronically simulated LSD only wears the vehicle's brakes, whereas a vehicle equipped with an LSD wears the clutch/clutches in the LSD itself."
Very interesting.
Thanks,papabear.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
hellboundsoldier is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Battalion-7th Air Defense Artillery Regiment
hellboundsoldier's Tacoma Gallery
LSD additive

Quote:

I know this is an old post, hoping for an answer yet. Does this mean that the Automatic LSD does not require the LS additive? I have been asking every dealer in the area and can not get a straight answer on the rear diff fluid I need.