Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

30,000 miles on my 2010 Report

Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
30,000 miles on my 2010 Report

Truck is at Toyota service right now getting the 30,000 mile service (30,480 miles on the odometer).

The truck is a little over 1 year and 9 months old.

The only problem was a tranny drip when it was new, coming from the speedometer cable port for right hand drive models. Not a drip of anything on my garage floor since then (Dec. 2009).

The leaf springs squeek.

The gas mileage is reduced a bit from typical. Getting closer to 15 mpg than 16+ for around town only driving. Perhaps the new plugs it gets today will help? Highway only is usually 17-18 mpg. Once got 19.5 mpg.

Been a fanatastic truck and by far the most capable of my three 4WD Tacomas (thanks to A-TRAC).

NEW:

NOW:

MODS:

Mud Flaps Removed (before they break off).
Rear Differential Breather Mod.
Spare Tire Mod. (flipping it so fill valve can be accessed).
Custom Lightbar with 2 HID Driving Beams (Kragen) and 2 HID Spot Beams (Hella).

TIRES: Hankook Dynapro ATm 265/75-16 (installed at 20,000 miles).
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My service writer just called to say it all looks good... front brakes will need to be replaced next time I come in (one is down to 2.5 mm)... before it gets to 2 mm.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
New brakes at 30k miles?!?! You ridin the brakes like a cheap hooker or what?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
No, 'next time' new front brakes... and I asked if that was what he has been seeing with others at 30,000 miles (remember this is my 3rd Tacoma, too)... yes, very normal. My other two also needed front brakes before they had 40,000 miles, as I recall.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would assume there is a fair amount of stop and go traffic in San Diego so this may play a factor in pad wear. I have seen and changed many a factory pad around 40k miles so it's not too absurd.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #6

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I would assume there is a fair amount of stop and go traffic in San Diego so this may play a factor in pad wear. I have seen and changed many a factory pad around 40k miles so it's not too absurd.
Sure... I am not in San Diego, but just around where I live is lots of stop lights and 4 way stop signs, etc. Plus, I go 4 wheeling and the traction control uses the brakes maybe a bit more than just for stopping?

I asked for my old plugs to check them out...
EDIT: I just checked again... and I do have 3 NGKs and 3 Densos...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Yea man.... I just rolled 38k on my '10. Considering how hard I abuse and wheel it... been great.

Issues on mine:
- Headlight brackets cracked (not really sure why, faulty batch of plastic or something that couldn't take the AZ heat? My 2008 never did it so... something strange lol)
- Aux port failed to recognize connection (replaced under warranty)
- Blower motor failed to operate on anything other than high (replaced under warranty)
- Drivers side window was attempting to roll up to far and creaking. Was installed incorrectly at the factory and cause the glass connection point to break (warranty covered)
- Windshield whistling (replaced full windshield under warranty... though it still didn't fix it.... ....)

Things I caused:
- Driveshaft destroyed (wheeling, $400 at AZ Driveshaft... highly recommend them)
- Rear diff leak (same time I did the driveshaft... siliconed it shut lol $0.50. Also got a Boztec skid to protect it now)
- Rear Fox 2.0 blew the resi connection line (faulty part, fixed)
- Scratched to hell... badges of honor!

All in all considering how hard I put it through the ringer and all the issues have been really minor things... can't complain. That said, those few things should never have happened if Toyota's quality was what it once was. Though, it's never failed me to get home or start or anything else, so that makes it solid iin my book.

Also when I just did the plugs (did at 36k, meh lol). 3 and 3 (denso/NGK) from the factory like normal were installed. Seems to run a bit smoother, haven't tested millage in forever cause... pointless with armor and a lead foot.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Sure... I am not in San Diego, but just around where I live is lots of stop lights and 4 way stop signs, etc. Plus, I go 4 wheeling and the traction control uses the brakes maybe a bit more than just for stopping?

I asked for my old plugs to check them out... 4 NGKs and 2 Densos!
Ah... no traction control for me but I do the stop and go commuting in and out of Boston daily. I'm still going strong at 60k on original pads.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Dude you crack me the fock up!

I am 67k and my brakes all good too, I don't have traction control either.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
colder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant futurecolder has a brilliant future
colder's Tacoma Gallery
driving has a lot to do with it... brakes can last 50k for me easily on most cars. I also get higher MPG than most people. it's driving style more than anything i think.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yah, I guess I like driving (and stopping) my truck... Hard to believe some of you are going 60,000+ miles on the original front pads, however!!! The rears have always lasted the life of the truck for me.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
tailwaters is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
tailwaters's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes at 30,000??? My FJ went to 75,000 before I had to do brakes and that was just the front! Traded it in on a 2011 Taco T/X TRD . FJ had 103,000 and the rear still had life left. I won't be to happy if I need brakes at 30,000
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
Brakes at 30,000??? My FJ went to 75,000 before I had to do brakes and that was just the front! Traded it in on a 2011 Taco T/X TRD . FJ had 103,000 and the rear still had life left. I won't be to happy if I need brakes at 30,000
Again, I didn't do the brakes yet... so it will be more than 30,000 miles... The front pads were 4.0 mm right side and 2.5 mm left side. They should be replaced at 2.0 mm. Off roading dirt may have cause the one side caliper to stick and wear the one set of pads faster.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
If you use it to haul heavy stuff frequently. It will definitely wear the brakes faster. Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm could this early wear be caused by ATRAC...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
It is
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My brakes are still good at 40K.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
If you use it to haul heavy stuff frequently. It will definitely wear the brakes faster. Just a thought.
Exactly... my truck is a work truck and a play truck... I don't drive around all day with an empty bed (that's what cars are made for)!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I asked for my old plugs to check them out... 4 NGKs and 2 Densos!
Sounds like they just dug some plugs outta the garbage. You should have had 3 of each.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
No... for one thing... of the 30,000 miles... I bet not more than 150 miles where in low range with A-TRAC on standby (remember, it doesn't activate unless a tire spins).

More miles in H4 with TRAC and the rest in H2 with TRAC... which ALL Tacomas from 2009 and up have... not just Off Road 4WDs.

I do believe my '05 had new brake pads installed before 40,000 miles... It is just the way I drive, perhaps? No, I don't drive with my left foot either...

Also, the wear was only on one side... 2.5mm vs. 4.0mm. So, one side may have just stuck from off roading? The rears were fine... If it was traction control or A-TRAC caused... it would be on all 4 brakes.