Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rim Lug Nut Key Hunt

Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
enjikari is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Electronic Countermeasures Technician, Avionics Division, MXS, 403dWG
Name: Michael
enjikari's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rim Lug Nut Key Hunt

Took my ride into my local wally-world today to get my tires cross-rotated. This is the first time I've had my tires touched since I bought it last year. Anyhow, they call me up and ask me for "a key to your tires". I'm guessing they need a special lug nut wrench end to take these lugs off. They said I have custom rims. News to me, lol They were on when I bought the truck. I tore my truck to pieces trying to find this "key". I even called where I bought it from, and of course all they could offer was "if it had one, it came with it". So, I don't have this key.

Does anyone recognize these rims? If so, any help on where I can find a key/socket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
the nuts requires a key that has a special pattern to deter people from stealing your wheels...if you dont have it, you need to get them removed (ruins them permanently) and buy a new set
Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Air Force: Electronic Countermeasures Technician, Avionics Division, MXS, 403dWG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
the nuts requires a key that has a special pattern to deter people from stealing your wheels...if you dont have it, you need to get them removed (ruins them permanently) and buy a new set
Remove the rims and buy new ones??? I don't have that kind of money
Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
nonono lol, just the nuts
Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
buy a new set of nuts..wheel lock is optional
Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
nonono lol, just the nuts
Guessing I'm gonna have to take it to a tire shop. So, there's no standard/metric socket to fit these at all? This is a bummer...
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
BAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to behold

BAT24's Tacoma Gallery
I had a friend this happened too, Check with a local tire dealer like Tire Discounters ect... They typically sell those type of locking lugs and they usually have a key because they run into this frequently.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #8

Also, couldn't I just order one from Toyota? I know it'll be some ungodly amount, but shouldn't they have some for sale?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
those are aftermarket wheels...toyota wont have the right one probably
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
those are aftermarket wheels...toyota wont have the right one probably
Ah, so they are customs. Damnit. I was hoping they were just one of several styles that came out for that year. I swear, my luck. Guess I'll call some shops tomorrow.