1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lack of Volume with MP3 player

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Impala1ss, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Nov 2, 2008 at 9:01 AM
    Impala1ss

Impala1ss [OP] Member

Member:
    I have an '09 SR5 with Aux plug for MP3 players. On a recent trip I brought my SanDisc player and plugged it in. Even with the player's volume turned all the way up, I had to turn the radio's volume up to MAX just to get reasonable volume.

Any suggestions/solutions?

2. Nov 2, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    I use a Griffin Itrip FM transmitter for my Ipod... same problem here. Maybe not as bad as you though, its a noticable difference from radio stations and cds but I don't have to turn it up to MAX.

3. Nov 2, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    e-rok

e-rok Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Double Cab Tacoma 4x4
    I have experenced the same thin on my 09, I thought it was just my ipod, but sounds like a Toyota issue

4. Nov 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    First thing I noticed about the radio/mp3 player in my 09 Taco. My old 05 Dakota had a really good stock sound system and it was very disappointing to hear, or rather the lack of volume from Toyota's stock system. Guess you can't have everything but for the price you'd expect better!

I've looked at either an inline amp or changing the stock system for a better one.

5. Nov 2, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    since you are playing a file, make sure the volume of music in the file is at a optimum, use a wav editor program to change/verify this. Then make sure that your cable is seated properly into the outlet to get a good connection. A premium cable might help but i don't usually go for them. I'd also find someone who has an ipod and see if it outputs more (louder) than your player

6. Nov 3, 2008 at 6:26 AM
    Impala1ss

Impala1ss [OP] Member

Member:
  7. Jan 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Schully

Schully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4
    the HU on the truck is probably its worst feature... I upgraded mine within the first month i had it. The stock HU was turning off on me and I had the same volume problem as well. Go after market, the dash kits look great!

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^^Agreed with they guy a few posts back- make sure that the settings on the MP3's are for a louder volume. I think you can check it through Itunes if thats what you use?

9. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    SanDisk has an equalizer feature. Adjust it to Rock or Pop and it will sound better.

10. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
  11. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    Wanderer32

Wanderer32 Member

Member:
    Homeless
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Camburg front suspension lift, OME rear lift
    My iphone plugged into the auxiliary jack is noticeably quieter than the radio in my 09 Tacoma too. At highway speeds I have to have my iphone settings as loud as possible and the head unit volume at the max. I installed a sony head unit on my last Tacoma that had an adjustable setting for the auxiliary "loudness" so that the volume would be the same when switching from your auxiliary device to the radio or CD. Not sure if any adjustments can be made to the stock head unit or if the only fix is installing a different head unit.

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have the grom usb/ipod/mp3 input into oem single disk 2006 deck & found that using the ipod cable, the output was really low as was stated here but using the 3.5mm in the headphone jack of the ipod was just as loud as mp3 player or cd/fm/usb. Haven't had that issue using mp3 players in 3.5mm. The usb is better than cd & no charging necessary. My verizon env3 phone with 16gb of music on it also has a headphone adapter 2.5 to 3.5mm so it'll play thru stereo too, all nice and loud like the rest. Thinking people's problems may revolve around the input adapter type or voodoo later model oem stereos or combination of the 2.

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I have a similar issue using my AXXIS unit that gives me iPod and AUX-in inputs. I have an XM radio in the AUX-in connection and it is noticeably quieter than the FM radio itself. The iPod volume is pretty good.

14. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

Having the same problem here...also tested it on other trucks...same thing ...it's a TOYOTA problem, not user error!

15. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    Using the ipod interface with my wife's ipod the output is lower. So are cd's. You can help by how you burn the files but I think the HU should be fixed. Not going to go back and try to remaster 100s of songs.

HTH

16. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    abs

abs Member

Member:
    My solution in-line Cmoy amp. Helps my sandisk sansa tremendously. :headbang:

Can build or get from fleebay. I believe many can also be run off 12V instead of the typical 9v so they likely an be hardwired in/put behind dash. Anyone want to do a mod thread?

How to build.
    http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top