Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anyone have a fold-a-cover G4?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #21
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery

I vote NO for the bakflip. I love the concept however you lose the use of the rails.

The cover they sent me had the mounting holes drilled in the wrong place. They offered to send me one so I could drill my own... BUT I was afraid that if I drilled them and something happened to the cover that they would deny my warranty. So I sent it back.

The company I bought it from was GREAT but the cover wasn't.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #22
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
they also have hooks on the front so i think you can use it in any position.
If you're talking about those little eyelets in the picture, the plastic one has those also.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
What is your reasoning?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post

I vote NO for the bakflip. I love the concept however you lose the use of the rails.

The cover they sent me had the mounting holes drilled in the wrong place. They offered to send me one so I could drill my own... BUT I was afraid that if I drilled them and something happened to the cover that they would deny my warranty. So I sent it back.

The company I bought it from was GREAT but the cover wasn't.
so then whats the solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
If you're talking about those little eyelets in the picture, the plastic one has those also.
i did not know that. they said it was for operating in half open positions.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADTACOMA View Post
What is your reasoning?
for who?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
the railing used to hold the fold a cover g4 is stuck on the bed cap sides using 3m double sided tape. thats how they let you still use your bed rails. i didn't like that as it didnt seem secure.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
Im all for the bak flip, thanks for the input..
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
Jim_SB is on a distinguished road
Jim_SB's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys,

Tacoma newbie here. Just picked up an '09 Double Cab and need to get a bed cover asap before heading to Tahoe for the Holidays. Reviewing the various threads on this site I was narrowing the search down to the BakFlip versus the Fold-a-cover G4.

I need a cover that:

1. Let's me use the front rail for hauling mountain bikes for my Tuesday night ride using the Toyota rail / bike fork adapter.

2. Is in some way lockable so I can haul snow skis, luggage or whatever.

3. Is easily removable by 1 person when I want to haul my dirt bike.

4. I would prefer something a bit more secure than a soft tonneau.

Note: The dirt bike and mountain bike "missions" are the reasons why I am not considering the fiberglass hard covers and the various rolling units.

Will either the BakFlip or the Fold-a-cover G4 satisfy "missions" 1 through 4 above?

For hauling dirt bikes I plan to add D rings to the front - and possibly a front wheel bracket.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #29
kubota man is on a distinguished road
kubota man's Tacoma Gallery
I have one and love it it locks your tail gate to it my second one first was on a 2006 dakota and when i traded it for my 2008 dctrd off road i made the saleman throw it in. my nephew has the back flip and that thing literaly fail apart ever joint was flieing apart as he was driving down the road pieces was coming off the truck rubber weather stripping it was a joke of a cover needless to say he ownes a fold a cover now
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
wakecaser is on a distinguished road
wakecaser's Tacoma Gallery
hey what is the exact name of the cover u have for the flat bed
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #31
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubota man View Post
I have one and love it it locks your tail gate to it my second one first was on a 2006 dakota and when i traded it for my 2008 dctrd off road i made the saleman throw it in. my nephew has the back flip and that thing literaly fail apart ever joint was flieing apart as he was driving down the road pieces was coming off the truck rubber weather stripping it was a joke of a cover needless to say he ownes a fold a cover now
The first version of the Bakflip was really bad for quality. The G2 is pretty good though. I've had mine for over a year and it still works well.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
haven't gotten on yet. i kinda want a one piece now. lack of work=lack of funds right now though
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Guys I just ordered the new G4 Elite Fold a cover for my 08 Tacoma long bed. It should be in by tuesday, I'll post some pics once it is installed.
As was previously mentioned the G4 does sit on top of your bed rails allowing you to use the stock bed rails, the mounting is done with 3m double sided tape. The mounting instructions are very clear that this step must be completed in temperature >70 degree otherwise you will have problems.
The locking mechanism locks down to 4 pins that are bolted to the underside of the bed rail, these are fairly stout IMO as I was looking at the display earlier today.
You are able to open the last section against the tailgate via a single key lock that engages both pins on each rail, as well as the forward most section next to the cab with a similar lock.
I would recommend a tail gate lock in addition to this cover as it does not close over the tail gate.
I wanted this type of cover for most if not all the same reasons as mentioned in previous post's, I was not really impressed with the G2 version. The G4 is much more attractive and does not take away from my Tacoma.
I carry lot of diving equipment and need a compartmentalized (is that a word) cover that will allow me access into different parts of the bed at any given time.
I do like the personnel caddy they have on thier site too but good god they are pricey!
http://www.foldacover.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #34
Senior Junior Member In Training
4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice

Name: Dan
4getful's Tacoma Gallery
I have never heard of the fold a cover. I had the Bakflip on my 05 and as stated before the first versions were absolute crap. I began to compain to Bak within 2 months. They sent me a brand new one (the newer version) and I had absolutely no problems with it. The newer versions are constructed very well. I recently traded in the 05 for an 09 and the new truck will also be sporting a Bakflip. The 3m tape thing would worry me. Living in Az, the summers get really hot and that tape would start to melt off. Also a tailgate lock is a must. I had a pop-n-lock on my last truck and as soon as they release them for the 09's will have one on this truck. Manual locks are only like $54, the automatic is over $100.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #35
Jim_SB is on a distinguished road
Jim_SB's Tacoma Gallery
Quick update - I went with the new Bak Flip Aluminum bed cover. Installation was quick and easy, no drilling, no tape. Bak Flip fits nicely and looks good on the bed.

We had all our luggage, skis, boards, etc. in back for a trip to Tahoe over the holidays and it worked great. I am still waiting on the Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock (for the '09 DC with camera) but the Bak Flip kept everything covered and snug.

No concerns with snow or ice, unit is very easy to use, for my needs (quick removal of entire bed cover for hauling dirt bikes and mountain bikes) the Bak Flip was the one to get.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #36
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i was looking at the extang solid trifold, any one have a review/recommendations on it?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #37
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdiveTaco View Post
I was not really impressed with the G2 version. The G4 is much more attractive and does not take away from my Tacoma.
[/URL]
What were you unimpressed about? The Bakflip G2 and Fold-A-Cover G4 look identical when installed and closed.

I went with the Bakflip since it can fold up against the back window and allow access to the whole bed; you would have to remove the whole G4 to do the same thing.

I like the versatility of the Bakflip since I'm not always sure when I'll need to remove my cover to access the whole bed. Like when I picked up a free refrgierator on the side of the road when I was on my home from work. The G-4 I'd have to leave it at home, the Bakflip easily folds and secures up against the cab.....Score one for the Bakflip G2.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #38
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
I'd stay away from BakFlip from my G1 experiences alone. After hearing of the G2 and some recommendations from fellow TN'ers, I called Bak and told them what a pile of crap the G1 was. They offered me 10% off on a G2. I said no thanks. I didn't want to throw another 600 bucks away...

wow ... it sucked that bad...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_SB View Post
Hi guys,

Tacoma newbie here. Just picked up an '09 Double Cab and need to get a bed cover asap before heading to Tahoe for the Holidays. Reviewing the various threads on this site I was narrowing the search down to the BakFlip versus the Fold-a-cover G4.

I need a cover that:

1. Let's me use the front rail for hauling mountain bikes for my Tuesday night ride using the Toyota rail / bike fork adapter.

2. Is in some way lockable so I can haul snow skis, luggage or whatever.

3. Is easily removable by 1 person when I want to haul my dirt bike.

4. I would prefer something a bit more secure than a soft tonneau.

Note: The dirt bike and mountain bike "missions" are the reasons why I am not considering the fiberglass hard covers and the various rolling units.

Will either the BakFlip or the Fold-a-cover G4 satisfy "missions" 1 through 4 above?

For hauling dirt bikes I plan to add D rings to the front - and possibly a front wheel bracket.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
The Bakflip G2 will do all except 2. You need a tailgate lock to make it lockable. Once you have that though, it satisfies all of it.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #40
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
What were you unimpressed about? The Bakflip G2 and Fold-A-Cover G4 look identical when installed and closed.

I went with the Bakflip since it can fold up against the back window and allow access to the whole bed; you would have to remove the whole G4 to do the same thing.

I like the versatility of the Bakflip since I'm not always sure when I'll need to remove my cover to access the whole bed. Like when I picked up a free refrgierator on the side of the road when I was on my home from work. The G-4 I'd have to leave it at home, the Bakflip easily folds and secures up against the cab.....Score one for the Bakflip G2.
The locking mechanism on the earlier version was much bigger/bulkier than the newer, based on the two demo units I was able to see. The G4 locking mechanism is completely sealed up and concealed in a low profile housing under the first and last fold.
I just had the G4 installed in my truck tonight, I will post some pics of it tomorrow.
To those who are not to fond of the 3m tape used for mounting, the tape is used to mount the guide rails only. The cover itself locks to the inside of the bed rail into proprietary clips.
I'll post more info tomorrow.