1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone have a fold-a-cover G4?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RoyB, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I guess it's a good thing they drilled the hole in my cover in the wrong place - sent it back. Wasn't real thrilled with the hat channels underneath the thing, they didn't look very sturdy to me.

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    CAdiveTaco

CAdiveTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco DC LB Pre Runner TRD Sport
    Bed Extender, Bed matt, G4 Fold-a-cover, debadged, locked spare, taigate hoe clamp mod, TW stick
    I added more information to the review in regards to price and installation, but I paid $866.00 installed.

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    CAdiveTaco

CAdiveTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco DC LB Pre Runner TRD Sport
    Bed Extender, Bed matt, G4 Fold-a-cover, debadged, locked spare, taigate hoe clamp mod, TW stick
    The tape appears to be holding fine but only time will tell, I did suggest in my review to rivet/bolt the rails down as you have suggested. I will take a closer look at it this weekend.:D

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    rcrick263

rcrick263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None
    Are you still satisfied with it? What kind of finish is on the aluminum panels? Is it something that would get scratched easily, or fade over time? Do you think it was worth the extra money for the aluminum one, over the normal plastic one? I can't decide witch one to get.:confused:

5. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    Jim_SB

Jim_SB Active Member

Member:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road JBL
    I am.

It's easy to access, looks clean on the truck, no known problems (but it's only 3 months old), easy to install, etc.

The aluminum is black, I haven't scratched it yet although I expect that's possible. So far it looks good.

I didn't think I'd miss the factory side rails, but I do because it would be nice to have a bed divider to keep stuff from rolling around the bed. Many of the accessories use the side rails.

Having said that it does everything I wanted, it's secure if your tailgate locks, looks good, easy installation and I can put it on and take if off quite easily.

How hard is it to place and remove the Fold-a-cover G4? The Bakflip is pretty simple - 2 large knob/screws and on/off it goes.

It's pretty light, no worries carrying it myself.

Sure would be nice if I could devise a method to drop the factory cleat rails on the side walls so they could still be accessible.

But in retrospect, as easy as it is to add D rings, it might make more sense to add some of those where needed on the sidewalls and just string a net across.

My headwall factory cleat rail is still available and I'm using it.

6. Mar 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    rcrick263

rcrick263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None
    Thanks a bunch! I ended up getting the HD and i like it so far. Much better than the old bakflip. :)

7. Mar 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Jim_SB

Jim_SB Active Member

Member:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think the *best* bed cover (for my needs) would be a Bakflip G2 with a different mounting system that allows the use of the factory side rails.

I thought the Fold-a-cover side rail mounting system was slick - they used the side rails - but only in a few places leaving the bulk of the rail usable.

If Bakflip could somehow adapt their product in that manner I'd sell my nearly new Bakflip G2 and get the later model.

I'm actually wondering if there's a way I can fab something on my own. Probably too much work! A couple more D rings would be easier.

8. Nov 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    mandotaco

mandotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '12 MG DCSB TRD-OR
    I know I'm bumping an old thread, but it's been hard to find this out. On the Bakflip G2, once folded ALL the way forward against the cab, there really is enough open room to be able to use a rail-mounted bike mount on the front rail? Either the Toyota one or something like a Rocky Mount?

It looks to me like there's still some tonneau structure on the front even when folded up, but from all the pics I've seen I haven't seen how much, or if it would block a bike from fork mounting to the front rails.

9. Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Jim_SB

Jim_SB Active Member

Member:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    No. I have to remove the Bakflip (easy to do) when I want to haul the bikes.

Products Discussed in

To Top