Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anyone have a fold-a-cover G4?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #41
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdiveTaco View Post

Great review! did you have any problems with the 3M taped guide rails adhering to the textured bed covers? any creep so far? A thought....Does it look possible to actually pop the factory bed covers off and drill holes to allow you to use plastic rivets from underneath to keep guide rail in line once you install/stick them to truck? You would probably only need 3, just enough to keep guide rail from creeping and a bit more secure. I'm not sure if there's room between the box top and plastic cover for heads of rivets. If you removed the cover whatever reasons, you would have 3 very small holes although nothing through metal, Just a thought....

thanks,
Motoretro
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #42
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Yup -- it even further deteriorated a couple days ago when one of the panel release cables housing came loose causing the panel to not lock down on the rail. I had to finagle the cable back into its housing to get the cover to close.

Pile of crap this thing is and Bak Industries has garbage customer service.
I guess it's a good thing they drilled the hole in my cover in the wrong place - sent it back. Wasn't real thrilled with the hat channels underneath the thing, they didn't look very sturdy to me.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #43
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseboy View Post
thank you so much for that write up. i think im sold. how much did you purchase yours for? and how was the install? any difficulties, approx how long?
I added more information to the review in regards to price and installation, but I paid $866.00 installed.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #44
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
Great review! did you have any problems with the 3M taped guide rails adhering to the textured bed covers? any creep so far? A thought....Does it look possible to actually pop the factory bed covers off and drill holes to allow you to use plastic rivets from underneath to keep guide rail in line once you install/stick them to truck? You would probably only need 3, just enough to keep guide rail from creeping and a bit more secure. I'm not sure if there's room between the box top and plastic cover for heads of rivets. If you removed the cover whatever reasons, you would have 3 very small holes although nothing through metal, Just a thought....

thanks,
Motoretro
The tape appears to be holding fine but only time will tell, I did suggest in my review to rivet/bolt the rails down as you have suggested. I will take a closer look at it this weekend.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #45
rcrick263 is on a distinguished road

rcrick263's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_SB View Post
Quick update - I went with the new Bak Flip Aluminum bed cover. Installation was quick and easy, no drilling, no tape. Bak Flip fits nicely and looks good on the bed.

We had all our luggage, skis, boards, etc. in back for a trip to Tahoe over the holidays and it worked great. I am still waiting on the Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock (for the '09 DC with camera) but the Bak Flip kept everything covered and snug.

No concerns with snow or ice, unit is very easy to use, for my needs (quick removal of entire bed cover for hauling dirt bikes and mountain bikes) the Bak Flip was the one to get.
Are you still satisfied with it? What kind of finish is on the aluminum panels? Is it something that would get scratched easily, or fade over time? Do you think it was worth the extra money for the aluminum one, over the normal plastic one? I can't decide witch one to get.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #46
Jim_SB is on a distinguished road
Jim_SB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrick263 View Post
Are you still satisfied with it? What kind of finish is on the aluminum panels? Is it something that would get scratched easily, or fade over time? Do you think it was worth the extra money for the aluminum one, over the normal plastic one? I can't decide witch one to get.
I am.

It's easy to access, looks clean on the truck, no known problems (but it's only 3 months old), easy to install, etc.

The aluminum is black, I haven't scratched it yet although I expect that's possible. So far it looks good.

I didn't think I'd miss the factory side rails, but I do because it would be nice to have a bed divider to keep stuff from rolling around the bed. Many of the accessories use the side rails.

Having said that it does everything I wanted, it's secure if your tailgate locks, looks good, easy installation and I can put it on and take if off quite easily.

How hard is it to place and remove the Fold-a-cover G4? The Bakflip is pretty simple - 2 large knob/screws and on/off it goes.

It's pretty light, no worries carrying it myself.

Sure would be nice if I could devise a method to drop the factory cleat rails on the side walls so they could still be accessible.

But in retrospect, as easy as it is to add D rings, it might make more sense to add some of those where needed on the sidewalls and just string a net across.

My headwall factory cleat rail is still available and I'm using it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #47
rcrick263 is on a distinguished road

rcrick263's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a bunch! I ended up getting the HD and i like it so far. Much better than the old bakflip.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #48
Jim_SB's Tacoma Gallery
The best bed cover?

I think the *best* bed cover (for my needs) would be a Bakflip G2 with a different mounting system that allows the use of the factory side rails.

I thought the Fold-a-cover side rail mounting system was slick - they used the side rails - but only in a few places leaving the bulk of the rail usable.

If Bakflip could somehow adapt their product in that manner I'd sell my nearly new Bakflip G2 and get the later model.

I'm actually wondering if there's a way I can fab something on my own. Probably too much work! A couple more D rings would be easier.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #49
mandotaco is on a distinguished road
mandotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
The Bakflip G2 will do all except 2. You need a tailgate lock to make it lockable. Once you have that though, it satisfies all of it.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but it's been hard to find this out. On the Bakflip G2, once folded ALL the way forward against the cab, there really is enough open room to be able to use a rail-mounted bike mount on the front rail? Either the Toyota one or something like a Rocky Mount?

It looks to me like there's still some tonneau structure on the front even when folded up, but from all the pics I've seen I haven't seen how much, or if it would block a bike from fork mounting to the front rails.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
Jim_SB's Tacoma Gallery
No. I have to remove the Bakflip (easy to do) when I want to haul the bikes.