Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anyone have a fold-a-cover G4?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have a fold-a-cover G4?

They look like a nice alternative to the back flip.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I think I saw a guy in San Diego that had one on his truck at one of our meets. The biggest difference I saw compared to the Bakflip is it's much thicker but it doesn't fold all four sections (the section by the cab doesn't sit verticle like it does on the Bakflip). The Bakflip has a smaller section next to the cab that doesn't fold but it's only about 4-6" wide. It's also not as flush on the bed as the Bakflip is. It looked decent though. The Bakflip will also interfere with use of the side rails, as it's rails mount to the side rails. I'm not sure if that one blocked the rails or not.

Here's my Bakflip fully opened.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
hm. yea the backflip is nice that it does open the bed 100%. however, i dont know if i would ever need to open the bed 100%. I like that it doesnt use rubber hinges though. wish they had a combination of the 2. while the G4 sits higher, I think it has a clean/sleeker look to it than the G2. If it was easy to remove then I could just take it off if I ever needed to I guess. However, if I keep stuff in the front, it would make it hard to get to, even if it does open up.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
each section on a 5' bed is 15". I would lose an extra 10" over a G2.

If I get a G2, I will have to get an auto locking tailgate too. I don't like the fact that I will need to open the tail gate to open the cover....what if I park against a wall and cant get it open?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
each section on a 5' bed is 15". I would lose an extra 10" over a G2.

If I get a G2, I will have to get an auto locking tailgate too. I don't like the fact that I will need to open the tail gate to open the cover....what if I park against a wall and cant get it open?
You just need enough space to get your hand inside to pull the cable.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Why would you park against a wall?
i back in everywhere. especially parking garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
You just need enough space to get your hand inside to pull the cable.

can you drive with just one or 2 sections open?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
can you drive with just one or 2 sections open?
It would bounce and might shut with wind. Bak Industries recommends against it unless you have a way to hold the cover against itself. You'll have the same problem with the other cover though.

From the Fold-A-Cover installation manual (page 13):
Note: Only operate the vehicle with the cover in the closed and latched position or the fully open position with the docking straps securely fastened. Operation of the vehicle with the cover in partially opened positions can cause severe damage to the cover and possibly the vehicle.

You also have to drill into the tailgate with the Fold-A-Cover to mount the lock latch. It looked like a decent cover though, so I'm not bashing it or saying that the Bakflip is better. Just pointing out the differences I saw.

Here's the Fold-A-Cover installation manual for our truck:
https://www.foldacover.com/Portals/0...XX-0508scr.pdf
Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i wasnt sure if it was possible with either.

how is yours holding up? I heard of the first models falling apart and leaking. i dont like the idea of not having the bed totally exposed since I will be having plastic tubs for material and will need to have it all open.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
Im thinkin about getting the BakFlip for my 08 Tacoma. I like the way it looks flush but my tailgate does not have a lock so how can I lock it ? Do they come with locks? Also, is it easy to take off If I need the whole bed? Thanks for then input. I like the way it looks being flush mounted..
Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADTACOMA View Post
Im thinkin about getting the BakFlip for my 08 Tacoma. I like the way it looks flush but my tailgate does not have a lock so how can I lock it ? Do they come with locks? Also, is it easy to take off If I need the whole bed? Thanks for then input. I like the way it looks being flush mounted..
I don't know if there is a tailgate lock yet that will work with the backup camera on the newer ones. For mine, I bought a Pop-n-lock.

Taking it off is pretty easy. Fold it up and remove two hold-down bolts (large knob for easy removal). It'd probably take a minute or two.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
i wasnt sure if it was possible with either.

how is yours holding up? I heard of the first models falling apart and leaking. i dont like the idea of not having the bed totally exposed since I will be having plastic tubs for material and will need to have it all open.
It's been holding up pretty well (about a year now). I actually didn't intend to buy one because of all the problems they had with the older model. I saw a model on "RealTruck.com" that looked like it did everything the Bakflip did, but it turned out it was just a Bakflip G2 that they sold under their name. I was a little miffed and was going to send it back but I decided to try it out instead.

They changed a lot of things that caused problems with the older model. They had some issues with glue coming apart and rivets rusting. And they used to have gas struts to hold the bed up, which failed (PiercedTiger had one and can extoll it's many failures). Now they just use a simple pole and latch system. It works well. I heard the company even offered to replace the older models with the newer ones for those customers that had problems with the older one.

I don't care about water so my drain tubes just dump into the bed, but most of the water runs out the back via the rails. I've been told you can just block off the drain tubs and let it run off with no problems. Even through a car wash with the drain tubes emptying in the bed, I don't get much water in there.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
not sure of the brand but my dad has one similar to this fold-a-cover on his F-150. it looks pretty cool. helped him and my mom move not too long ago and had it folded about half way and it stayed put across town.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
mynaughtymonkey is on a distinguished road
mynaughtymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 'advance cover' for my truck, which is pretty much the same thing. I love it.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
well I think I am going to get the bakflip. Here is why

G4- I like that you can open it from the top via key. I don't like that the front is not part of the whole top that opens at once. I can live with that though. The tailgate gets locked via a hook that you have to screw in (or so it appears). I predict that will either tear off or tear me. I can not put it on but then I need to get a locking tailgate.... The cost of the G4 is more as well, around 720 dollars from what I can find.

Bakflip- Nice that it opens 100%. However, I don't like rubber hinges and the fact that you have to unlock it from underneath. I have to get a $100 electric tailgate lock to make this cover work...just hope it never fails on me. I don't like that it blocks your rear window if you want it open and driving around. Total cost is cheaper than the G4 and is more usable imo.

Rob- it attaches to the side rails, correct? Can you still use your rails with the factory tie-down hooks on the rails? From the pictures it looks like you can.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #16

Quote:
well I think I am going to get the bakflip. Here is why

G4- I like that you can open it from the top via key. I don't like that the front is not part of the whole top that opens at once. I can live with that though. The tailgate gets locked via a hook that you have to screw in (or so it appears). I predict that will either tear off or tear me. I can not put it on but then I need to get a locking tailgate.... The cost of the G4 is more as well, around 720 dollars from what I can find.

Bakflip- Nice that it opens 100%. However, I don't like rubber hinges and the fact that you have to unlock it from underneath. I have to get a $100 electric tailgate lock to make this cover work...just hope it never fails on me. I don't like that it blocks your rear window if you want it open and driving around. Total cost is cheaper than the G4 and is more usable imo.

Rob- it attaches to the side rails, correct? Can you still use your rails with the factory tie-down hooks on the rails? From the pictures it looks like you can.
The Bakflip rails totally covers the side rails. You can still use the front one. It's not too difficult to take them off if you needed to.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Dang, that sucks

They now have a Bakflip HD which is a metal version. Looks like cost is around $890 bucks though

still has rubber seals

Old 11-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
What is the advantage on the BakFlip G2 for 599 and the Full Metal Version for 899? Help , Help, ...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
it is metal vs plastic. i imagine in person it looks a lot nicer. they also have hooks on the front so i think you can use it in any position. i can't justify the added cost though. it is also 4lbs lighter than the plastic as well. 2 year warranty on the cover and 10 years on the paint from the googling i did.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #20
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay away from BakFlip from my G1 experiences alone. After hearing of the G2 and some recommendations from fellow TN'ers, I called Bak and told them what a pile of crap the G1 was. They offered me 10% off on a G2. I said no thanks. I didn't want to throw another 600 bucks away...