Notices

Borla Catback vs. Toyota Catback vs. Performance Muffler

Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
joelong0004 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Flight Medic
Name: Joe
joelong0004's Tacoma Gallery
Borla Catback vs. Toyota Catback vs. Performance Muffler

Anyone have a solid performance response to which exhaust system might perform better. I've done lots of web surfing and read lots of info, but can't seem to decide. I am leaning towards the Borla.

Also, the installer said a Borla performance muffler will be close to the same performance as the Borla catback system. Is this a true statement?

I look forward to anyone that can help.

- Joe
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Pick which one sounds the best to your ears, and go with it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Pick which one sounds the best to your ears, and go with it.
I agree. The sound is up to the buyer. They are all about the same performance wise which isn't much.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
twoodcc is on a distinguished road
twoodcc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I agree. The sound is up to the buyer. They are all about the same performance wise which isn't much.
what about price wise?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
what about price wise?
TRD is probably the most expensive out of the 3.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
twoodcc is on a distinguished road
twoodcc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
TRD is probably the most expensive out of the 3.
that's what i was thinking. i guess i'll wait a while on the exhaust for now
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Banned
I have a Banks kit. I'm thinking about swapping to Dynomax
Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

The Borla is a bit more than the TRD catback, about $150. I am wondering if the catback will really get more performance vs. replacing the muffler with a Borla performance muffler. I can't find any performance reason to buy the catback exhaust other than the stainless steel piping.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelong0004 View Post
The Borla is a bit more than the TRD catback, about $150. I am wondering if the catback will really get more performance vs. replacing the muffler with a Borla performance muffler. I can't find any performance reason to buy the catback exhaust other than the stainless steel piping.
You dont get big gains with either option. A muffler will give you about 3-4 hp. while a good cat-back will give about 5-6.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I'd really like to see some real world dyno test results, not just claims by the manufacturers. I doubt they test every single application they make. To be true, there's got to be some pre and post testing by someone not associated with that company. Otherwise, we're simply paying for a sporty sound.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Mr. 2x4's advice is based off of dyno tests IIRC.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
I'd really like to see some real world dyno test results, not just claims by the manufacturers. I doubt they test every single application they make. To be true, there's got to be some pre and post testing by someone not associated with that company. Otherwise, we're simply paying for a sporty sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
Mr. 2x4's advice is based off of dyno tests IIRC.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #15

Maybe we should start our own test company and benchmark these accessories. We'll charge the manufactures a crap load to test it and post the results. Then maybe I can just get a demo catback from Borla.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Maybe we should start our own test company and benchmark these accessories. We'll charge the manufactures a crap load to test it and post the results. Then maybe I can just get a demo catback from Borla.
If I had money I would try the idea. Get an unbiased opinion that way.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #17

I have the money. I wonder how many people would buy the product after it was tested and proven based on the performance consumers are hoping for from the product.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
Banned
You have the money to set aside dyno time for testing every product available for Tacomas? This would cost thousands to do properly.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the money. I wonder how many people would buy the product after it was tested and proven based on the performance consumers are hoping for from the product.
I would.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #20

Well whisper, maybe you could help me and ensure it was done properly. Where do you live? Shall we set up "the Tacoma lab", test stuff the members want tested and use it as a way for manufacturers to market products with integrity?

Who's with me?