1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PreRunner 2wd & Automatic Limited Slip Differential?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeromedayton, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    jeromedayton

jeromedayton [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 2wd
    I just bought the 2wd version of the Tacoma. It has Automatic Limited Slip Differential option. I'm trying to get a read on it's proper usage, specfically as it relates to snow and ice. What about limited off roading, specifically beach driving? There are extensive writeups on all the options with the 4x4 model but nothing I can find specifically for the 2wd model only.

I'm also interested in other people's experience with the 2011 2wd version in driving in snow and ice and/or limited off road driving. I chose the 2wd because my snow usage for now will be minimal and I wanted to get the gas mileage.

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    get some snow chains if you plan on having to drive in snow :D

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The AUTO LSD is standard on all Tacomas since 2009... It is also called the TRAC OFF MODE, but is really TRAC without the engine output regulation. In other words... AUTO LSD is a stronger limited slip than the normal TRAC limited slip your truck is in.

A quick push of the VSC OFF switch activates AUTO LSD, at any speed. Push again to de-activate. Use it if one tire is spinning in a stuck, but the other tire is on firm ground.

If you don't want any limited slip function... STOP the truck and hold down the VSC OFF switch for a few seconds, until the VSC OFF light comes on. You now can spin your tires without any slip control... if you need to spin out of mud or snow... ie. both tires are on loose ground.

[​IMG]

4. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    jeromedayton

jeromedayton [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 2wd
    Thanks for the replies. I would definitely plan on carrying chains when I drive in snow country.

What about limited off-roading with the 2wd? Specifically beach driving?

5. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    im a a dune rat so im in the sand all the time. the only time i use th Auto LSD is when im stuck.. Other than that, i turn off the LSD but keep traction control off. (i.e. push and hold the VSC Off button for a few seconds).

edit: reason iturn LSD off is because im goin 50mph+ and if i dont, it cuts the motors to a "controllable speed"

6. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Depends on beach sand type and the weather... cooler/ damper is easier to drive on sand... Hotter it is more difficult.

I see you are in SoCal... Since the only beach in Ca you can drive on is Pismo, maybe you go down to Baja? The Gulf side sand is mixed with crushed shell and is more difficult to drive on than the Pacific side, which is flatter and compacts easier (smaller grains).

In 2WD, you may need to lower to 10 psi or less to keep from getting stuck. The Mexican fisherman use their 2WDs to launch boats or check their nets... You can see the tire buldging from the low air pressure... but they don't get stuck. I drive my truck on the wet sand at low tide in 2WD, but when I pop up onto the dry sand, it bogs down until I put it in 4WD (my tires are set between 15-18 psi typically on that beach, south of San Felipe).

dirtnsmores likes this.
  7. Jun 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    I can't tell you how helpful this super old post was to me just now! Damn I love the search function

David K[QUOTED] and bigfoote13 like this.
  8. Jul 1, 2016 at 7:57 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Just keep in mind, there is no substitution for the peace of mind 4WD provides. Having the front and rear tires working together is a huge difference over trying to get a 2WD over the same ground, or up the same grade. Air pressure is a major help, however... drop it to increase traction.

dirtnsmores[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 1, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    thanks. My next truck will have 4wd. Perhaps a few years when 3rd gens get ironed out

jross20 and David K[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top