Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

f*** you bed bolt

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedler View Post
Yeah my bed bolts are rusting as well (2010)
You know that you are now making me go out there in my jammies with a flashlight at 10pm, right?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #23
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
You know that you are now making me go out there in my jammies with a flashlight at 10pm, right?

Pics or it didnt happen
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No pics needed. Black bolts, black D rings, no rust.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #26

What.

YOU show me a pic of your nuts and bolts. Pfft.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #27

Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #29
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
bed bolt

why are you removing them anyways?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #30
cozmo is on a distinguished road
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
i used a breaker bar on mine and they popped off no problem.

seat your 3/4" rachet nice and snug, and slide a 2ft metal pipe over the handle for extra leverage. i think a 12yr old girl could break them loose using this method.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #31
Chris135 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chris135's Tacoma Gallery
Just a couple quick ideas here to maybe make it easier for the next guy to remove his box bolts.

Always spray your bolts from above at the head and below the box if they're exposed in the rail with rust penetrant. Then if you have use a breaker bar. If that doesn't work grab an impact and try to zip them off. If they come a little way then stop, tighten them back up and try to back then out again. If they start to move a bit this usually works. And yes you should be able to use heat. A torch along the threaded part underneath works good if you have access.
Now say hif you strip it that sucks but it's not the end of the world either. Rather then dremeling or cutting the head to fit a socket is if you have access to a welder, weld a nut on top of the head and use a socket. A lot quicker and less messy. Just my .02 cents, hope it helps somebody
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #32
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Spray with zinc clear. Even if there is a break in the coating, the zinc will stop the rust.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #33
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedler View Post
Yeah my bed bolts are rusting as well (2010)
I have the same problem but its the two bed bolts closest to the cab. It appears that this is likely due to rain water collecting in that section of the bed...Its small rust spots now...I want to be proactive about this problem. I think "sanding" the rust spots off is in order for now but looking to coat the bolts in the near future. My truck is also a 2010.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #34

Oooohh THOSE bed bolts. Yep. Mine are showing a little but of surface rust too.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #36
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
2011 here and mine are rusting. I would love to get a new set and plastidip the heads.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #37
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same problem with one of mine, i just welded a nut to the top of it and impacted it off, it's still in my truck lol
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are fully rusted 09. I live near the coast where it's always damp. Someone should just buy a bunch of these, treat 'em and sell them to the rest of us who want to replace them. (Also go by the dealerships in any town I am in and see almost all the used Tacoma's with some amount of rust on the bolts if they don't have a cap or bedrug...30k truck and you get rusted bolts in a year? Wtf)...

This dude did a great job on his:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-no-more.html
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #39
George Wimpleman is on a distinguished road
George Wimpleman's Tacoma Gallery
In the battle of man vs a stripped torx, a long-handle pipe wrench is my weapon of choice.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #40
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
Before you try to remove them spray underneath with your penetrent of choice. Then clean the crap out of the head of the bolt so that that bit fits tightly. Now put the socket bit in the bolt and wack it with a steel hammer. Finally, go for your breaker bar. I started using this method on VW/Audi CV Joint bolts that use the triple square fasteners and haven't stripped one yet!