Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Recovery Hook 2011 Tacoma

Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Front Recovery Hook 2011 Tacoma

I was hoping someone could help with this, On my new Tacoma there is a recovery hook on the driver's side and on the passenger side in a very similar place there is what appears to be a shipping tie down loop. It appears fairly sturdy and is bolted to the frame. Can this be used as a second recovery point? Either in conjunction with the other one or on its own? If not will the bolt pattern allow it to be replaced by a recovery hook? Also, it seems to me that the location of the existing hook is less than desireable from the standpoint of damaging the skid plate/bull bars. Can longer bolts be placed on the bull bar mounts and recovery hooks be mounted there?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks for the link. Any alternative over the counter?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Christian, I'm very concerned about your post count. I'm starting to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotacoma View Post
Thanks for the link. Any alternative over the counter?
A cursory Interweb search returned some interesting results here

Welcome to the forum btw
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look for another spot on the front frame to attach hooks, where the bridle will have less chance of damanging the bull bar/skid plate.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I think you have those backwards -- there's a loop on the driver's side that is for shipping tie-down, and a bolt-on "loop" on the passenger side for recovery. On TRD offroads they get a tow hook there on the passenger side in place of the loop.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
I think I may not understand the two loop definitions. On my driver's side is a "loop" of round steel. On the passenger side there is a bolt on angle bracket with a hole in it. Are you saying the bolt on angle bracket is for recovery? The item in whippersnapper02's link is on the passenger side of my taco. He has implied he replaced that because it isn't used for recovery? Help me out I am quite confused.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
ok, upon further investigation I believe I understand better. The passenger side bracket is intended as a tow hook/recovery point. The drivers side is not. So my next question is how do I either remove the tie down loop and replace it with a tow/recovery point or leave it and add one? AND, is there a good reason I see posts of taco owners replacing the passenger side recovery point? Is it not strong enough?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW My understanding is:
The Welded-On Driver's Side Loop is for Towing.
Members here have voiced concerns of it tearing off in "Hard Recovery Efforts"
The Bolt-On Passenger's side Eye is for Tie Down during shipping

The TRD Offroad Recovery Hook has the same Bolt Pattern as this Tie Down.
TRD Recovery Hook Part #51961-35080. Cost is somewhere around a million dollars.
You will also need two Longer Bolts to replace the ones securing the Tie Down Eye.
Bolt Part #90119-A0193 (for one) $3 +/- each
Keep in mind it is just a "Hook" not a "Loop" for a Shackle

CC
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Steel bumper with recovery shackles is the best solution.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
According to Toyota its the other way around. The soloution I have arived at to achieve the results I need, (Mainly retrieval via two recovery points on my front end without damaging the bull bar or skid plate) is to remove both points and have two heavy duty d rings mounts welded to the sides of the frame, cost about $65 all in incluiding welding.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Drill hole through your engine block and run 15,000lb chain through it is best option
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotacoma View Post
According to Toyota its the other way around. The soloution I have arived at to achieve the results I need, (Mainly retrieval via two recovery points on my front end without damaging the bull bar or skid plate) is to remove both points and have two heavy duty d rings mounts welded to the sides of the frame, cost about $65 all in incluiding welding.
What skid plate do you have to worry about damage with? Stock?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
Yes, I have the stock add on trd skid plate
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
Getting with my welder wednesday, I will let you know and post some pics
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Drill hole through your engine block and run 15,000lb chain through it is best option
Thanks for the advice. Doing that tonight
Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
Thanks for the advice. Doing that tonight
Not liable if the chain breaks.