Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifted truck looks Great!!.. but alignment issues

Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Air Force: GREEN LIGHT!
Name: Clayton
Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted truck looks Great!!.. but alignment issues

I guess this thread is a 2 parter. 1 just to show what I have done and 2, to get some help... because of what I have done

Well here is how she sits now, I love the way it turned out

- Full OME lift with top cap spacers
- Dakars
- Extended Steel Brakelines
- American Racing Mojave Teflons
- Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/R17

The front with the new larger tires sits about 4.5" higher than it did stock

I spent a lot of time doing this and there was much @#!$* but over all I am happy. I knew there would be some rubbing and that I would be pushing the alignment to its limits.

Alignment Q's

I already took my truck in and this is the best I could get

LEFT -------------- RIGHT
0.8 ---- Camber ---- 0.8
0.0 ---- Caster ----- 0.4
.05 ----- TOE ------ .05
10.9 ----- SAI ------ 10.8
11.7 - Incuded Angle - 11.6

If anyone smarter than me on this stuff has any incite on these #s let me know

The truck drifts to the left slightly if I take my hands off, and there is definitely some wandering and instability at highway speeds.

I am going to bite the bullet and get new UCA's to remedy all this. I just have a few questions for guys running similar setups.

Q1 - did you have to replace anything MORE than the UCAs?
Q2 - What UCA's are most guys running/best bang for the buck UCAs
Q3 - What specs are you running on your algnemnt now, because stock algnment #s are probably just a guideline now (like Parley )
Q4 - (rubbing issues) Trimming or taking fenders off.. any advice?

I can post more pics later if ppl want to see more, the chrome Satoshi looks great with this lift and wheel combo

THX in advance TW, you always pull me through
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
light racing uca's are best bang for the buck in my opinion
and i think you want your caster at 2.3?? and the others at 0
there's a thread here somewhere about it, please correct me if im wrong.

as far as trimming, just look too see where u rub and just hack away at it. you're going to hit the cab mount, no doubt, so do the cab mount chop asap.

and x2 mohave's are BAMF
Old 09-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good OP , add your measurements to our 2nd Gen Dakar measurements thread
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
light racing uca's are best bang for the buck in my opinion
and i think you want your caster at 2.3?? and the others at 0
there's a thread here somewhere about it, please correct me if im wrong.
thats about right...0 toe, 0 camber, 2.4-2.5 caster. truck looks great!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Big offroad tires are going to wander and do things they want, unlike a passenger tire. Just the way it is. Alignment specs look good btw
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Big offroad tires are going to wander and do things they want, unlike a passenger tire. Just the way it is. Alignment specs look good btw
Yep. Your alignment looks good for having stock UCAs. Mud tires always wander more than street tires: you've got rubber-lugs pulling in different directions and also less actual contact with the pavement since you're just riding on the tops of those lugs.

As for the pulling, they should be able to align that out. Make sure your tire pressures are even across the front and rear.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Looks good OP , add your measurements to our 2nd Gen Dakar measurements thread
DONE!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
See that's one of my concerns, I don't want to spend 500-600 on a pair of new UCAs and not be able to tell the differences. I accept that there might be some of these issues still, But I would be pissed of I felt like it didn't change much.

anyone with a 3 inch lift/bigger tires PRE and POST new UCAs care to share their thoughts

i'll try and get some more pics up...might be a day or two :/
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
you will wear the inside of your tire with a camber of 0.8. that also might be why you are pulling a little.

as others have said, you should be near 0.0 toe, 0.0 camber, and over 2.0 caster (ideal is around 2.6).

after market UCA really do make a huge difference. i went with total chaos right from the start and i have zero alignment issues.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
When I put my toytec ulk on without UCAs the front tires had a "tucked in" look to them is the best way I could describe it. Added some Light Racing UCAs afterward and no more tucked in look. IIRC my problem was the caster. I'd have to dig up my old alignment specs to find out for sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LEFT -------------- RIGHT
0.8 ---- Camber ---- 0.8
0.0 ---- Caster ----- 0.4
.05 ----- TOE ------ .05
10.9 ----- SAI ------ 10.8
11.7 - Incuded Angle - 11.6
The lack of caster is causing your wandering problem. The Toe set at .05 each side looks to be an attemp to prevent the wandering by adding some push.

Have them add some Caster see if that helps the wandering.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
And people say they don't need uca's with a 3" lift ...

Anyways, good lookin truck OP! You def need some uca's on that thing. If your on a budget, i suggest Camburg "ball joint" style uca's. they let you use your stock ball joints or you can upgrade them to greasable Moog ball joints. If you're a balla, can't go wrong with either Camburg or Total Chaos Uni-ball uca's.

Links:

Camburg "ball joint" UCA
http://www.camburg.com/whats-new/toy...nt-upper-arms/

Camburg uni-ball
http://www.camburg.com/toyota/05-11-...ll-upper-arms/

Total Chaos uni-ball
http://www.chaosfab.com/96504.php
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a thread I wrote up on UCAs and alignment after going 6 months with the stock UCAs, and then adding them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...cing-ucas.html
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
As far as rubbing goes, I think you can probably trim plastic like crazy and chop your cab mount to get the clearance you want. If you do add UCAs, you'll need to work closely with the alignment techician to make sure he doesn't decrease your clearance between the tire and the rear of the wheel well.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #17

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Here's a thread I wrote up on UCAs and alignment after going 6 months with the stock UCAs, and then adding them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...cing-ucas.html
Nice, thx again!

I went through your thread several times (and during) my OME/DAKAR install. very useful
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #18

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
alright alright New UCAs it is. these are my choices

- light racing
- Total Chaos
- Camburg

and zero Toe, zero camber and over 2.0 Caster - is what i will shoot for. after looking up what exactly caster is, I can see how it will move the rear of the tire closer to the back of the fender. Strange, you would think that negative caster would be what you want not positive.

But what do I know

now i need to research this "uniball vs hibbdy scibbidy" or whatever everyone keeps talking about

anyone running the Camburg uniball system? it says

"Must use wheels with a maximum backspacing of 4.5″ or the tire can rub on the arm at full turn when running a larger than stock size tire."

and I have 295/70/R17 W/ 4.5 BS, anyone foresee any issues?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough

Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Dsms they look better and have added caster to begin with
Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yoda View Post
Dsms they look better and have added caster to begin with
The Light Racings add from 0 -4* of positive caster .

2* at their neutral setting