1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will my truck pull this all right?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 230g Hydra-Shok, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Oct 1, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't mean to be disrespectful but it's hard to believe you're a LEO based on that response... you're basically telling people screw what the GCVWR sticker says and as long as you have the receiver, go ahead and haul up to the 6,500 lb weight limit of a Tacoma with a tow package. I agree that there is nothing structurally that allows the tow package to be rated 3,000 lbs higher than a non-tow package but legally that fact is irrelevent. If you get into an accident and you're legally overloaded, good luck, you're going to get taken for a ride and you can't honestly tell me as a LEO that you wouldn't ticket in that situation.

Again, you're correct, realistically there are no differences between a tow package and a non tow package with a class 4 receiver that would allow for the 3,000 lb difference in capacity. Legally, there is a sticker that limits a non-tow package equipped Tacoma to 3,500 lbs and the addition of a receiver doesn't change the legal side of it.

2. Oct 1, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    matts11

matts11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Guys, don't get too wrapped up in what the GVWR sticker says. In a lawsuit post accident the defendant will not have a hard time prevailing as long as he can show he added a hitch rated to tow the trailer and not exceeding the maximum capability of his vehicle (in this case 6500 lbs). I am not saying it would stop you from being sued, but if they are suing you strictly for over weighting the vehilce you could easily get that dismissed by showing you made the modifications to get the vehicle to meet the higher rating. If you are are worried about insurance just call you company and ask them. Chances are they are either going to be dicks and say no you won't be covered or very lenient and possibly ask for verification of the rating of the hitch. Either way, your liability in a lawsuit is really going to be based upon driving to fast, not having the trailer lights/brakes operable, etc. From a practical standpoint, I would recommend using 4 low if you are manuevering on a steep hill as it is much easier on the clutch.

3. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    Toyota Man

Toyota Man Toyota Man

Member:
    Oregon, Centeral Willamette Valley
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB TRD super charged off road
    TRD super charger, TRD cold air intake, and exhaust. Downey coil overs coming soon
    I am not telling him to break the law. I wouldn't be doing my job if I did that. What I am saying is that once he has made the modifications to his truck by installing the tow package ie. Hitch, trailer brakes ect. Their is no reason he can't tow what the max rating is allowed for this truck. You guys are not making sense telling him that 3500 lbs is the limit no matter what, so what you want him to sell his truck to buy one with a dealer hitch. Crazy

4. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    Get your camper loaded with supplies, some wood in the bed of your pickup, a full tank of gas, and your family in the truck and you're hauling some serious weight around. I'd guess somewhere around 1000 lbs more than the 3,700 lbs the camper weighs.

The heaviest I've hauled (without trailer brake controls, however I do have the OEM tow package and an AAL) is 3800 lbs. It was across town, 10 miles max. I wouldn't have wanted to hit the highway or make a sudden stop with that weight behind me.

I have several years of experience of semi truck driving, a current class A CDL, as well as experience hauling much lighter trailers with snowmobiles and riding lawn mowers with the taco.

My own personal opinion is you're in way over your head (and your trucks) if you haul that sucker around, even if you bolt on and wire up the proper equipment.

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

5. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

3500 lbs is the "max" for his truck no matter what is installed. thats how it is.

but OP i would pull it lol, i wouldnt stress over it. like pugga said the 3000lb difference is bs, get a class 4 hitch and brake controller and i would do it..

my step dad pulls like 5000 lbs over the legal limit for his truck. just dont drive like a jackass and you will be fine

6. Oct 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I never told him not to do it, but the OP should at least know he's over the legal limit for his vehicle. Regardless of what you put on the truck, the max rating for a non-tow package equipped Tacoma is 3,500, end of story. You can properly equip the Tacoma and safely tow over the 3,500 lb stated limit but it doesn't mean you're legal when you do it. Unless you get into an accident, it most likely would never be brought into question.

7. Oct 1, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    coop1212

coop1212 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ms
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 double cab offroad
    none yet!
    I have 4.0 v6 2010 crew. Talked with camper dealer about a camper that was 4600 pds dry. Loaded up another 1100 pds. He said I could pull it but Problay local only.+-50 range. Said long trips would be tough! I have factory tow package too. He did say I needed add. Brakes and sway also. Still research ing

8. Oct 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    USAONE

USAONE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Stock
    I had a 2001 4x4 tacoma and a 18 foot pioneer that went around 4000LBS. You have yo be very careful here. My V6 pulled it ok but you will really put wear on the clutch. It is easy to add several hundred pounds cargo and not realize it. If cost or space is no problem get an airstream bambi or other lighter fiberglass camper. I had a brake controler and hitch with tow bars (A must). Another consideration is the miles to camping area. I went from an 18 foot & taco to a F150 and 30 footer to a F250 PSD and 5th Wheel. The F250 FX4 had no problem even in mountains. Campers are like boats, you can spend a lot before you tire and sell them for half you have in them. One thing for sure, it is not wise to exceed the limits of your tow vehicle. Loss of control can happen quickly and have very bad results for you and others on the road. Whatever you choose, be safe.

Products Discussed in

To Top