Notices

Advice on Purchasing a Tacoma

Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
smallxfires is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
smallxfires's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Purchasing a Tacoma

Hey Guys,

Im looking to buy a new tacoma in the next week or so.

I owned a 2006 Tacoma a few years back, but bought it when i was 19 and paid sticker price...(wow).

I promised myself I would never buy a new car again, but most of the low mile used trucks are almost as much as new in my area.

What I am looking for is a 2011 (hopefully that will help the price) Double Cab TRD OR 4x4 in white. I tried the "costco auto" thing and they still wanted $33k OTD (no way).

I see guys saying they are paying 28k OTD and thats exactly my spending limit.

My plan is to email the fleet managers of all the local Toyota dealerships. But Im trying to find the right way to word the email to get my point across. Anyone have experience doing this? Should I be able to get a truck for this price? I have $11k to spend, and I would like to not finance more than $17k...

Thanks for your help guys. Hope to be back in the Taco game soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
try online quotes from the local dealers, we got mine for 28 OTD back in december of 10. and you should be able to get it for 27 OTD because they are wanting it off their lot so they can bring in the 12's.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
28-29 seems to be the norm but since the tsunami things tightened up a bit. But with the 2012's out maybe that can work in your favor. Welcome and good luck!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Go into the dealership, Tell them what you want and wave around about 10k. Believe me if youve got that much cash in hand they want you in a 2011. Just be prepared to look them in the eyes, Laugh and walk out if they dont get down to the price you like.

Read up http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car3.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Internet sales are great. I paid 24,500 OTD for my 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB 6 speed. This is my fourth Tacoma, and I don't think I will buy another one. Same problems in the same trucks from 2005 to 2011. Give me a break.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Two things I can suggest for you. You can get quotes from them by sending out a fax or like ckeeton mentioned by online. Best way I have found to get the best deal. Just make sure that you get a signature with their quote.

The other is going in the last day of the month early in the morning. Sometimes you might get a dealer who has not reached his/her quota and will offer a great deal to get it done.

I always use the fax method and have always received a better deal then I have expected. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Thanks for the replies so far, a lot of good info! Both of the dealers I went to showed me "invoice" price on their computer screen as 31,000... But online it shows around 26,000 even with all the options added. Can they manipulate the screen to show me a different price? Hopefully its not just in CA that they are this expensive.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Two things I can suggest for you. You can get quotes from them by sending out a fax or like ckeeton mentioned by online. Best way I have found to get the best deal. Just make sure that you get a signature with their quote.

The other is going in the last day of the month early in the morning. Sometimes you might get a dealer who has not reached his/her quota and will offer a great deal to get it done.

I always use the fax method and have always received a better deal then I have expected. Good luck.
great advice here. contact(email) a few local or even outside dealerships. use the best price quoted as a starting point and email it back to higher priced sellers. they will compete with each other to get your business.

the only time i step foot into a dealership is to inspect the vehicle and sign the paperwork.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallxfires View Post
Thanks for the replies so far, a lot of good info! Both of the dealers I went to showed me "invoice" price on their computer screen as 31,000... But online it shows around 26,000 even with all the options added. Can they manipulate the screen to show me a different price? Hopefully its not just in CA that they are this expensive.
the "dealer invoice" price that they show you is not even close to the actual dealer invoice. that's just a marketing gimmick that dealerships use on consumers.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We were just discussing this when my brother bought his Tacoma last month. I'm sure they have their ways, a program to print out a fake invoice or what ever. Mine is a 4x4 and his is a pre-runner. About 3k difference as the trucks were identical otherwise. Same dealer I bought from. They told me they would give him the same deal I negotiated. 1K below invoice. But his was coming up like maybe 2k less than mine. Finally worked the deal out (he made an offer which was about what we figured based on my deal) but who know's what the invoice really was?

Still waiting for my $100 referral fee.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
cookee62 is on a distinguished road
cookee62's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Bro Hows it going. I have helped lots of my friends purchase a new or used car from a traditional dealerships ( reason is because I have been working for Carmax and another dealership for around 4 years part time. and no I don't screw them over by having them buy from me. I go with them to the dealerships they want and cars they want and help negioate and confirm they are getting a good deal on there car. There are quite a few tactics you can use to get what you want but it depends on how much BS your willing to put up with and be willing to shop for a few weeks with multiple dealerships.

Couple things: 1. going around the middle of the month and working the deal towards the end of the month will help Keep $$ in your pocket. 2. Also be careful "Payment shopping" because they will write stuff that you might recognize like WAC by a payment. WAC = With approved credit. 3. Write out your terms If you want a "350" payment they can get that for you sure... 350 for 84 or 96 months.. Then you just got a rapped. 4. Look around a dealerships with less than desirable numbers or clientele. EX. If they move a lot of units and have people that go to them and they got money your 1 extra sale isnt going to be desireable to them but to a smaller hurting dealership will. 5. They play a shell game, 4 parts, Price, Trade, Financing, and extras between that they are trained to make at least 3k profit off you. Know what you trade is worth and ask for more to make a deal happen.

Credit::::: > know what you are and what you can get and be confident!!! You do that they will know you are meaning business and ready to buy with great credit = low APR = better deal.

anyway hope this helps. There's more stuff as well but if you have more questions let me know. I don't mind helping. I recently went bc my wife wanted a new car and bought a higher trim level new car for only $1500 dollars more compared to a used year older and 20,000 more miles.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck purchasing the truck, you should be able to get it down under 30k just because the dealership should want to sell any 'old' models
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
BBBsti LTD will become famous soon enough
BBBsti LTD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raswank View Post
Internet sales are great. I paid 24,500 OTD for my 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB 6 speed. This is my fourth Tacoma, and I don't think I will buy another one. Same problems in the same trucks from 2005 to 2011. Give me a break.
What was the MSRP on your truck? I would think it was close to $33,000.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
No clue how people claim to save 8-12k off a new Tacoma . But I'm thinking its either a regional thing or it's one of those that has been sitting for a year and the dealer just wants to move it . 33k OTD is right for my area .
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on area and msrp. Went to edmunds for my truck said invoice was 31680.00 msrp was 34875.00 consumer reports was about the same. I paid 31400.00 whitch was about 300 less than both sites said was average for the area. I don't know what options your buildng to come up with an invoice of 26k but it isn't a loaded off road 4x4.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Remember to ask for rebates and incentives...I got $1,000 off for having graduated with a college degree in the last two years...not sure where you would check...

http://www.setf.com/specialoffers/specialoffers/sb.cn
Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
No clue how people claim to save 8-12k off a new Tacoma . But I'm thinking its either a regional thing or it's one of those that has been sitting for a year and the dealer just wants to move it . 33k OTD is right for my area .
This is what I am thinking. Would it be smart for me to purchase out of state? What are the issues with me doing this? Will it still cost me in the end?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Stealth Custom Series™

Quote:
This is what I am thinking. Would it be smart for me to purchase out of state? What are the issues with me doing this? Will it still cost me in the end?
you shouldn't have any issues purchasing from out of state. the only thing to worry about is transporting it home. driving cross states or shipping it back to CA can be $$$. you just have to factor this into the whole cost.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #20
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious what options you are adding. It could just be a county thing but I just looked up the costco thing in san diego area and it says 29,309, msrp 31,520. Thats a white double cab, v6 4x4 automatic off road.

Buying a truck from out of state will just leave you with more registration fees and hassle. If anything try different counties.