Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma getting a better fuel economy (from fueleconomy.gov)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma getting a better fuel economy (from fueleconomy.gov)

Just got by this tonight, from what http://http://www.fueleconomy.gov is telling us, the 2012 Tacoma V6 is getting a substantially (edit: read ''slightly'') better fuel economy than the 2005-2011 models.

Look at these:

2011 tacoma:

2012 Tacoma

Same thing apply for the 2WD.

Could this be the aerodynamics, since it's the same engine.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Tacoma getting a better fuel economy (from fueleconomy.gov)-sans-titre2.jpg   2012 Tacoma getting a better fuel economy (from fueleconomy.gov)-sans-titre1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't call 1 mpg substantial.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
it does have more emission equipment in the engine bay but i dunno anything on this subject matter
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
x2
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
It's about as substantial as switching from the single VVTI to the double VVTI...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
One mile per gallon could have come from changes in tire manufacturing, changing engine tune, lowering stance by a fraction of an inch, or the changes to the hood/grille.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
well it's ~$500 difference on the 6-speed... I'll take $500 a year!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
I cannot find the axle ratio on the 2012s.I wonder if they geared it higher to get better highway MPGs?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'll wait for real world numbers rather than taking the government's word for it. I'm guessing after more people start driving them, they'll be pretty much dead on with the rest of the 2005 - 2011 Tacomas.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
enough with the 2012 threads...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
tailwaters is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
tailwaters's Tacoma Gallery
Gas milage ratings are worthless!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
Gas milage ratings are worthless!
Why so? You might not get exactly what the ratings tell, but at least you k ow that car "x" with a rating of 20 mpg consumes less than car "y" with a 18 mpg rating.

And that 1 mpg difference is approx 500$/year for me in canada with 5$/gallon gas.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
Why so? You might not get exactly what the ratings tell, but at least you k ow that car "x" with a rating of 20 mpg consumes less than car "y" with a 18 mpg rating.

And that 1 mpg difference is approx 500$/year for me in canada with 5$/gallon gas.
If they were that accurate they'd be worth it. The problem is who the hell knows where they come up with those numbers. Looking at the ratings, car x may claim 20 mpg, car y may claim 22 mpg but in reality car x really only gets 19 in real world driving and car y only gets 17 in real world driving. Thats why they're useless.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Here's how I look at gas mileage, and how I deal with it. My 2011 AC V6 6 speed gets 16 mpg at best. If people bitch about gas mileage in their trucks, either sell it or don't drive as often. I bought a 1994 honda civic cx hatchback. It gets 45 mpg and I commute 60 miles round trip every day. I don't bitch about gas mileage or prices. I figure I bought the truck n got what I wanted knowing the mileage it got.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Here's how I look at gas mileage, and how I deal with it. My 2011 AC V6 6 speed gets 16 mpg at best. If people bitch about gas mileage in their trucks, either sell it or don't drive as often. I bought a 1994 honda civic cx hatchback. It gets 45 mpg and I commute 60 miles round trip every day. I don't bitch about gas mileage or prices. I figure I bought the truck n got what I wanted knowing the mileage it got.
I guess you could say between the two vehicles you average 30.5 MPG if you drive equal miles.Not too bad.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I gained 1mpg just by taking a dump.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I gained 1mpg just by taking a dump.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
sparkhill is on a distinguished road
sparkhill's Tacoma Gallery
The government ratings imply an error of +/- 1 mpg, so the numbers are statistically no different. A simplified example: one number could be 20.4 (rounded to 20) and the other could be 20.6 (rounded to 21).
Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
I guess you could say between the two vehicles you average 30.5 MPG if you drive equal miles.Not too bad.
the car gets driven a lot more than my truck.