Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Favorite/Preferred LSD

Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
eodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud of
Navy: EOD
Name: Jerron
eodrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Favorite/Preferred LSD

I've been thinking, looking, forgetting about, remembering, looking, and thinking again about getting an LSD for my 2011 Tacoma prerunner. Who here has an LSD in theirs? I know a bunch of you do. I guess I got two questions for anyone willing to respond. What is your preferred brand/type of LSD and why'd you chose it? Also, did you do a gear change when you did the LSD? Thanks for anyone who responds.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Your already have a LSD? The are standard equipment on all prerunners.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
LSD is only standard on TRD Sport models. TRD Off-Road models have the locker. SR5 packages have an open diff.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
The electronic LSD comes standard with your Prerunner. I can testify to how well it owrks on slippery (or sand) boat ramps and muddy trails in my 4x2.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
walter is on a distinguished road
walter's Tacoma Gallery
4way lotus flower!!
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Toyota-Tac...expert-review/
third paragraph down all tacomas come with lsd
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
My Off-Road has LSD as well as the locker. I can turn it off, but unless I do so, or go into 4 lo, it is always available.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
LSD is only standard on TRD Sport models. TRD Off-Road models have the locker. SR5 packages have an open diff.
Only on 2005-2008 Sport TRDs

Now (2009+) all Tacomas have TRAC and AUTO LSD in 2WD.

TRAC is a limited slip with engine output regulation (and brakes a spinning tire).

AUTO LSD is a stronger limited slip without the engine regulation.

The 4WD Tacomas ('09+) also have TRAC in H4, but it is the same as AUTO LSD because TRAC in 4WD has no engine regulation.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
4way lotus flower!!
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Toyota-Tac...expert-review/
third paragraph down all tacomas come with lsd

All models and trim levels of the Tacoma receive as standard equipment Toyota's Star Safety System, which includes anti-lock brakes (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TC). An Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type limited-slip to help reduce wheel-spin, is standard on all Tacoma models with the exception of those fitted with TRD Off-Road packages, like our test model; those will have a separate locking differential.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
eodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud of
Yeah, I know i have the auto LSD. It sucks. I hate that thing. It's really not worth much in my opinion. Put a brake wheel LSD (auto LSD) against a true LSD (Mechanical) and the mechanical proves ahead of the game every time.

I wasn't sure if there were many out there who upgraded to a true LSD. It kind of sounds like most haven't. I just want power from both wheels, not a reduction in power to one.

Ah well, I'll keep looking.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
mountaincanoe is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
mountaincanoe's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear of my 05. Works great and was a good improvement over stock. I would highly recommend but not sure how it will work with your stock traction control system.

It did not affect my gas mileage and does require a gear setup. So it would be a good time to re-gear.

Works great in the snow here in Canada and also in loose sand and mud. Draw back is if your stuck and buried only one wheel will spin. (It is not a locker) That just means you have to get more traction to that tire. I use an old jacket and put that under the tire. Usually drive right out. To me it works better than all that traction control stuff that comes stock as there is no buttons to push, it is automatic and very strong. Here is a link: Check it out!

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221471

Hope that helps!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodrunner View Post
What is your preferred type of LSD?
Blotter.
Then Microdot.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
i thought you was talking about something else at first lol. Than I was like ok
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I know i have the auto LSD. It sucks. I hate that thing. It's really not worth much in my opinion. Put a brake wheel LSD (auto LSD) against a true LSD (Mechanical) and the mechanical proves ahead of the game every time.

I wasn't sure if there were many out there who upgraded to a true LSD. It kind of sounds like most haven't. I just want power from both wheels, not a reduction in power to one.

AUTO LSD indeed works as a limited slip... (transfers power from spinning wheel to traction wheel). It sounds like you are seeking a locking differential (power to both tires even when one has less traction)?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
Yeah the thread was definitely not about "That" LSD. haha.

I want something that isn't open. I just don't like having one tire spinning, pushing, having all the power. I would like to have more traction on the day to day grind, that will also benefit me in the dirt and hard sand. Where i life the roads suck and if I'm on any kind of incline after it rains it takes forever to go anywhere the roads are so porous. My one leger just sits there and spins even when VERY minimal throttle is given. It just bugs me enough that I want something different. I suppose it's a good thing I don't spend much time anywhere near home.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #15
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincanoe View Post
I installed a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear of my 05. Works great and was a good improvement over stock. I would highly recommend but not sure how it will work with your stock traction control system.

It did not affect my gas mileage and does require a gear setup. So it would be a good time to re-gear.

Works great in the snow here in Canada and also in loose sand and mud. Draw back is if your stuck and buried only one wheel will spin. (It is not a locker) That just means you have to get more traction to that tire. I use an old jacket and put that under the tire. Usually drive right out. To me it works better than all that traction control stuff that comes stock as there is no buttons to push, it is automatic and very strong. Here is a link: Check it out!

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221471

Hope that helps!
I dont know if your detroit trutrac is different from mine but when one of my tires start to spin it kicks the power over to the one that has traction.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Sadly this is something majority can not grasp...
Factory LSD out of the 05-08 TRD sport does that. Its set to "speed up" slow wheel instead of slowing down the fast wheel.
But Toyota no longer sells trucks with it so its eother buy new one from Toyota and install yourself or get one from parts truck.
Your other choice is Truetrac which is actually very good limited slip.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
mountaincanoe is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
mountaincanoe's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
I dont know if your detroit trutrac is different from mine but when one of my tires start to spin it kicks the power over to the one that has traction.
Mine is the same, but when your stuck and not moving forward the traction turns to tire that has less traction. Therefore not a locker. I am saying stuck and on ice or buried in sand/mud it will revert to one tire fire.

The Detroit Truetrac is great because it is streetable with no full time locker related issues and will give you great traction in snow, rain slick roads, sand and mud.

It is a true mechanical LSD and is very strong. I have been using mine for just over one year or 25 thousand km and have no issues. It is a great improvement over stock.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
I really appreciate everyone giving me their testimonials and preferences. It helps quit a bit. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the detroit truetrac as soon as I get back.