Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveshaft Spacer

Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Driveshaft Spacer

anyone ever seen a driveshaft spacer for sale? its basically a spacer that goes between the two flanges on the rear driveshaft to push the slip yoke back together so it gets rid of driveline vibes. i know you can have a shaft lengthened for like 200 bucks but the spacers would be like 60 and work just as well. anyone know where i could get one? or can anyone make me one? i dont know the bolt patter on our driveshaft flanges, is it 65mm x 65mm? any info would be great, and i think this could be a solution to alot of our driveshaft noise/vibe problems for cheap money.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
anyone ever seen a driveshaft spacer for sale? its basically a spacer that goes between the two flanges on the rear driveshaft to push the slip yoke back together so it gets rid of driveline vibes. i know you can have a shaft lengthened for like 200 bucks but the spacers would be like 60 and work just as well. anyone know where i could get one? or can anyone make me one? i dont know the bolt patter on our driveshaft flanges, is it 65mm x 65mm? any info would be great, and i think this could be a solution to alot of our driveshaft noise/vibe problems for cheap money.
....Or..... Install double cardan shaft
Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
the carrier bearing drop?

go to ace hardware and buy some top notch grade 8 washers and bolts.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
the carrier bearing drop?

go to ace hardware and buy some top notch grade 8 washers and bolts.
no not the carrier bearing drop, and the double kardan shaft is like 500 bucks. what im saying is if there is a driveshaft spacer i.e. a 1" thick piece of aluminum or steel block with 4 holes in it (that are the bolt pattern of our driveshaft flange bolt holes) that would literally act as a spacer for the driveshaft to push the slip yoke back together = less wear on the slip, and no more vibes or noise. you guys see what im saying?

here is a link to a site with the spacers im talking about, im just not sure if any of these will fit out 2nd gen trucks.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ftSpacer.shtml
Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
6L PSD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired
6L PSD's Tacoma Gallery
www.longfieldsuperaxles.com
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L PSD View Post
sick thanks dude, u think those will work on our trucks?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no not the carrier bearing drop, and the double kardan shaft is like 500 bucks. what im saying is if there is a driveshaft spacer i.e. a 1" thick piece of aluminum or steel block with 4 holes in it (that are the bolt pattern of our driveshaft flange bolt holes) that would literally act as a spacer for the driveshaft to push the slip yoke back together = less wear on the slip, and no more vibes or noise. you guys see what im saying?

here is a link to a site with the spacers im talking about, im just not sure if any of these will fit out 2nd gen trucks.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ftSpacer.shtml
I think 4runner ds is the same lengths as your RC ds, used one is probably under $100 on junkyard. Toyota had cheap out on trucks and now only installs single u-joint. Used tobe DC to prevent vibes especially with raised truck
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
6L PSD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired
6L PSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sick thanks dude, u think those will work on our trucks?
I'm not sure on the pattern...probably best to call. Super nice folks to deal with. They may be able to make you one for the Tacoma if the stock listed ones won't work??? It still may be cheaper to buy multi-pattern flanges from someone like Marlin Crawler than to have a driveshaft customized...I know that to be true in my neck of the woods anyhow!!?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I've been trying to think of ways to fix this problem too, without buying a whole new driveshaft. I don't understand how spacers would help anything unless the spindles of the slip yoke are tapered towards the ends. Is that true? I've never had it apart before.

Maybe there's some sort of grease that would work to fill in the annular space around the spindles? It would have to be something that doesn't break down easily.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #11

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
I've been trying to think of ways to fix this problem too, without buying a whole new driveshaft. I don't understand how spacers would help anything unless the spindles of the slip yoke are tapered towards the ends. Is that true? I've never had it apart before.

Maybe there's some sort of grease that would work to fill in the annular space around the spindles? It would have to be something that doesn't break down easily.
youre not getting it. this spacer would be probably an inch thick, would mount BETWEEN the end of the rear d-shaft, and the rear diff flange. it would be like lengthening your driveshaft without paying a lot of money to have a shoop cut it and add a piece to it - so it WOULD work and WOULD make a difference as it would put the slip yoke back together so we dont get any vibes or noise from it.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #13
MAUIxROCKSTAR is on a distinguished road
MAUIxROCKSTAR's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know the spacing between the bolts on the pinon flange for a spacer?