LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Yet Another Auto LSD / Trac Question

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
Yet Another Auto LSD / Trac Question

In David K's very informative thread, "A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)" he says:

"Also, in 2WD you can have 'enhanced' LSD with even heavier braking action to the spinning tire with a quick push of the VSC Off switch, which turns on 'AUTO LSD'.
Only in 2WD can you go into AUTO LSD."

This got me wondering if the rear axle limited slip action is stronge, in 2H with the Auto LSD engaged, than in 4H/4L(yellow wire) with TRAC?

That does seem to be the case.

If so, wouldn't it be nice, especially for people like me with an SR5 4x4 and no A-TRAC, to be able to have AUTO LSD engaed/active in 4H and 4L. The net effect might be like having A-TRAC in the rear axle.

Assuming my line of thinking is correct, which is 50/50 at best, we should devise of a yellow wire mod type of thing to get AUTO LSD in 4H and 4L, for the SR5 guys.

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 10-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
TRAC in 4wd is pretty much ALSD.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
In David K's very informative thread, "A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)" he says:

"Also, in 2WD you can have 'enhanced' LSD with even heavier braking action to the spinning tire with a quick push of the VSC Off switch, which turns on 'AUTO LSD'.
Only in 2WD can you go into AUTO LSD."

This got me wondering if the rear axle limited slip action is stronge, in 2H with the Auto LSD engaged, than in 4H/4L(yellow wire) with TRAC?

That does seem to be the case.

If so, wouldn't it be nice, especially for people like me with an SR5 4x4 and no A-TRAC, to be able to have AUTO LSD engaed/active in 4H and 4L. The net effect might be like having A-TRAC in the rear axle.

Assuming my line of thinking is correct, which is 50/50 at best, we should devise of a yellow wire mod type of thing to get AUTO LSD in 4H and 4L, for the SR5 guys.

Let me know what you think.
I hope you have discovered the answer already, but for anyone who wasn't clear the way I wrote it... (and Whipper is pretty close to being right):

AUTO LSD is a 2WD traction aid (traction control without engine output regulation).

In 4WD (H4) High, the traction control (TRAC) is automatically on without engine output regulation. Only in 2WD is TRAC operating with both brakes and regulting the engine output.

So, AUTO LSD and TRAC in H4 is the same, but on different tires (back only vs. all 4).

If you are stuck, and have a 4WD truck, skip the AUTO LSD and just go into H4... or L4 with A-TRAC.

If you are stuck in a 2WD only truck, that is what AUTO LSD is for... to try it!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
Atrac is pretty nice to have... too bad it wasn't offered in 08 when I got mine. The lockerand airing down has proved it's usefulness more than a few times however.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowayman View Post
Atrac is pretty nice to have... too bad it wasn't offered in 08 when I got mine. The lockerand airing down has proved it's usefulness more than a few times however.
Agree fully, air pressure has a ton to do with helping traction! If you are stuck or can't climb a hill... lower your tire pressure! 15 psi vs. 32 psi is pretty amazing!

The rear locker (as I also had on my '01 and '05 Tacomas) is a great addition. The A-TRAC device may not get you any further than the rear locker and lower pressure do, but it is just comforting to know that there is a slip control on the front tires, with it... and I basically have no fear off roading solo... Not, that I have ever feared off roading with any of my Tacomas... but there is a sense of complete traction with the A-TRAC system.