1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

100,000 mile tranny fluid BS!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by acdronin, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Whats the tranny tsb? My truck is long out of warranty and the cross member has been hacked out.

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    acdronin

acdronin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's something called a propeller shaft and it has to do with which factory your truck was built in, mine was built in Fremont CA at NUMMI and is not part of the TSB.

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Oh the driveshaft... im running a tom woods one currently. They wouldn't touch mine anyways cause of the lift.

4. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Thanks Whipper!

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I won't let them touch my gas pedal... I promissed I wouldn't put two or more floor mats on the driver's side LOL!

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Picked up the fluid last weekend. Planning to do the drain method by disconnecting the cooler return line.

Truck will have about 19000 when I finally get to it.

Even though it is not the approved fluid, I'm refilling it with Mobil 1 ATF.

The Toyota WS fluid does not seem to get very high marks from oil industry folks.

Also hoping to have the remote filter parts to install during the fluid change also.
    I also opted out of the Toyota Pink coolant. $30 per gallon was a bit to rich for my pocket. Also, the leak that slowly loses fluid that the dealer can't find under warranty, will be easier to keep topped off with easy to obtain Peak fluid.

BTW, you might want to replace the oem power steering fluid too. I was shocked to see how much crud came out of that system with only 18k miles on it. Yes I went with M1 in the steering also.

PK

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Got my tranny flush done at 55k. Toyota changed the recommended tranny service from 100k to 60k back in 2009. A lot of techs are still not up to date.

8. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Hey let us know how you work out with that Mobil 1 ATF in Autotranny (you have 5 speed auto right?)

9. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I would never fuck with an auto tranny. I don't care what they say, 30k changes every time. Unless synthetic which I might wait for 40k. I have had to replace three trannys in the past.

10. Oct 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i thought i knew all i need to get a tranny flush. i tow occasionally. and i also wheel when i go on my many many hunting trips.

i called my local independent shop. for $208 plus tax, he said he will attach my truck to some machine and do a complete flush. pump out the old, pump in the new. 14 quarts of new juice.

for fun, i called my local dealership. for $385, he said he needs to manually change the fluid. take some out, add some, take some out..add some. monitoring tranny temps the entire time. he also stated that our trucks are not "pumpable" with the change machine.

now i am confused. what says you tacoma freaks?

11. Oct 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    MARSHBUSTER

MARSHBUSTER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alamogordo NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4X4 Tacoma TRD
    Grill Gaurd/ Winch Bumper, Mile Marker 9000 LBS Winch, Custom Head Ache Rack, Custom Rear Bumper, Marathon Camo Max 4 Seat Covers
    In my 2005 I had the dealer change my Tranny Fluid at 60,000 miles, wasnt having any issues with it I just wanted the warm fuzzy feeling that it was changed. I spoke with my regular mechanic and he said with the synthetic he would recomend changing it at 60,000 and not to wait till 100,000 so thats what I did. The filter in there is just a screen that gets washed out and put right back in. Now on the full system flushes, I have had bad experiences with that and so have afew other people i know. I was told when they do a full system flush they reverse the fluid when they do it.

12. Oct 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    I was @ my local dealership on Monday to get the pedal shaved and asked about a tranny flush. They quoted me $250 and made comments about it taking a whole day as they temp had to be just right to do the job properly....got me thinking about going to a local tranny shop for a little bit less.....hate to have something go wrong over 50-80 bucks.

13. Oct 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Think I would agree with you on that one

14. Oct 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Keep it simple and just do a drain n fill every 60k. Open the fill then drain it, for every bit that comes out, put the exact same in. Ya won't have to worry about the trans temp. This is what I call the KISS method ( Keep It Simple Stupid)

15. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    So I need to replace my extension housing seal (toyota came out with a new double lipped seal to replace the old single lipped one that is leaking on my truck). Local shop said $140 to replace the $6 seal and $140 to flush the tranny (in which they drop and clean the pan and screen which seems like a great idea vs. draning and refilling w/out cleaning the pan like the dealer would do for $250). So basically I would get the new seal and a flush for $280.

OP Just curious about the WS fluid......what did the 15 quarts cost and would a shop have this or should I go and buy it from the dealer to be on the safe side?

Thanks for the info!

16. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

wow... What an idiot. Is this at toyota?

17. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Anyone with issues after a trans fluid service? Mine shift just fine and I'm at 48k and wants to get the fluid change at 50k. I'm a little worried to have it done. I've heard stories where shift actually worsened after a full flush. Also my truck is an 05 so I wonder if its due because of age.

18. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Dang, all of you are crazy. Changing out the fluid between 50k miles and 100k miles?! I change mine every 10k miles to 15k miles.

19. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    BoTacoGA

BoTacoGA Damit man

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Newnan, GA
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged OffRoad TRD
    Hid headlights an fog lights, LED blinkers an brake light bulbs. anytime fog light mod, brighter reverse light mod, Access Vanish bed cover, color match grill, black rocker guard painted skid plate, rear TSB, 5100's with front set at 1.75, BF T/A KO 265/75/16, yo mama riding shotgun.
    I do a drain an fill every 30,000 miles along with plugs, diff fluid, brake fluid, air filter, in cabin filter, an a coolant. I only use Toyota stuff. Better to be safe than sorry.

20. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    1st gens ftw, my tranny fluid had 132k original miles on it..dropped the fluid out of that beezy and it was discolored..but not burnt/faded/breaking down.

then threw redline in it and 8k miles later I toasted the transmission(typical w59 problem, broke the shift fork in it), but that has nothin to do with the fluid. then 15k miles later i toasted the rear axle(too much pinion play, blew the bearings out and seized the carrier bearing LULZ)..then I sold it!

I know it had the original fluid in it because my dad bought the truck from a guy with 8,000 miles on it and I bought it from my dad with 94,000.

Products Discussed in

To Top