Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Preventing snow/ice on the windshield

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
Preventing snow/ice on the windshield

So it's still early but pretty soon we'll be waking up to frsoted over windshields. Does anybody use a windshield cover to keep off the snow and ice? I think I've seen then in Sky Mall but I can't think of anywhere else. Does anybody have a recommendation on where to find a "cover"?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Tarp and bungee straps??
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Try RainX... Works awesome for ice build up on windshields and when it's raining.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I've got something very similar that was given to me as a gift about 5 - 6 years ago. I haven't used it once, if you want it, cover shipping and it's yours. The one I have covers the windshield and has 2 flaps that wrap around and get closed in the door to keep it in place. Also doesn't roll up, it folds into a square that zips closed on itself.

PM me if your interested and I'll try to find it. It's been collecting dust for a long time...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Sweet! That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
This

Minus the crappy vinyl siding
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Bought two door mats with rubber backing from Menard's for $3.98 each. Park with the wipers at mid travel and slide the mats under the blade, rubber to the windshield.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
This

Minus the crappy vinyl siding

What's wrong with the siding?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by resq330 View Post
It's vinyl
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
before I built my garage and was worried about late night FD calls I woudl put a heavy moving blanket over the windshileld. It is heavy enough that under normal conditions it won't blow away in the wind and keps the frost and ice off it. Just roll it off and the snow goes with it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
El' Capi-Tan

resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It's vinyl
Some areas say that outbuildings and such must match your house. I would be tickled to have a garage. Wouldn't bother me a bit if it had vinyl either. Of course, I'm a po' folk. My house is vinyl
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by resq330 View Post
Vinyl siding is ugly. Makes your house look plastic.

http://architecture.about.com/cs/rep...el/a/vinyl.htm

Fiber-cement > vinyl

Back on topic though...The rain-x will help to keep it from sticking. Your best bet is to park under some sort of structure.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Vinyl siding is ugly. Makes your house look plastic.

http://architecture.about.com/cs/rep...el/a/vinyl.htm

Fiber-cement > vinyl

Back on topic though...The rain-x will help to keep it from sticking. Your best bet is to park under some sort of structure.
Cedar > Fibre cement > Tar paper > nothing > Vinyl
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You'd like my fence that I'm putting up then.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
El' Capi-Tan

resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

And here I was looking at this house.....

http://www.visualtour.com/applets/fl...=2567032&sk=23
Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Rain-X

Living in the snow country (Reno-Tahoe area), I highly recommend Rain-X.

Rain beads up and rolls off, ice and snow do not stick, easy to remove with a brush or scraper. Also apply it to the side windows and headlights/taillights.

I always go out about 5 minutes early and start the truck up with the defroster on.

You may also want to install an engine block heater. We put these on our patrol rigs. Plug it in, slide the vehicle heater switch to defrost and clear windows all around the cab in the morning.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Try Fla..1or2 rare frost in Jan,,,
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
mmmm I love cedar but it's hella expensive down here in the South a cedar 2x4 costs about 2-3x more than PT Pine. It's typically only used as an architectural accent (i.e maybe just in the gable) You guys have a more abundant supply up there so I'm sure it's cheaper to you. My dream house when I have gobs of money one day will have a cedar shingled roof.

I have fiber cement on my house and I love it! It was actually one of the reasons I purchased in my subdivision and paid a little extra compared to the vinyl shit they were selling in the subdivision across the street. Not to mention those houses with vinyl siding are all covered in moss/mildew now. The vinyl seems to breed it more than other siding products.

Products Discussed in this Thread