Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED Gauge Swap..... Done!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
pootermobile is on a distinguished road

pootermobile's Tacoma Gallery
LED Gauge Swap..... Done!

just finished my led gauge swap, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
LED Gauge Swap..... Done!-instrument-cluster-008.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
2011tacotrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
2011tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!!! I love it. SO how hard is it to do and how much did it cost?
Details brother I need this
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Cost is 49 cents per LED plus $4.50 for shipping. I used 26 LEDS so it was only about 18 bucks! And i had never soldered anything before and lets just say it works better than it looks lol. Not that hard, you just need patients and don't leave the soldering iron on the led too long or you'll burn it up
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Are those different colors of blue?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Are those different colors of blue?
No, they are blue backgrounds with white needles. I took a nail file and scraped off all the orange from the needles so they would only show up white.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Ghost9 is on a distinguished road

Ghost9's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Just got mine done couple weeks ago by Yosh and they turned out amazing. Was to scared to do them myself.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I really want to do this and have even practiced my soldering. Only thing stopping me is pulling off the needles and getting them back to the same position. Was that easy or is it just guessimated?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man!! u didn't paint the needles after taking off the orange paint?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TaCo07 View Post
I really want to do this and have even practiced my soldering. Only thing stopping me is pulling off the needles and getting them back to the same position. Was that easy or is it just guessimated?

Mark the needle positions with a piece of painters tape cut in a triangle with one point at the tip of the needles "dead" position. By the looks of my dash the only one really needing a bunch of attention is the coolant temp.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TaCo07 View Post
Not trying to thread jack but, what you do so u don't lose you place is get 4 pieces of tape n mark where the needles are on the cluster with a marker or something. It helps so u can out them back on there no prob
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootermobile View Post
Cost is 49 cents per LED plus $4.50 for shipping. I used 26 LEDS so it was only about 18 bucks! And i had never soldered anything before and lets just say it works better than it looks lol. Not that hard, you just need patients and don't leave the soldering iron on the led too long or you'll burn it up
I thought there was only like 10 or 11 LED's to replace Did you replace every LED on the back of the panel?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I thought there was only like 10 or 11 LED's to replace Did you replace every LED on the back of the panel?
Background for automatics is 11
For manual tranny is 10
But he changed out some other lights n his needles so it starts to add up lol
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Background for automatics is 11
For manual tranny is 10
But he changed out some other lights n his needles so it starts to add up lol

Thanks for clarifying that, much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
For ya east coasters, I'll be doing this for us coming up next month. I'm getting stuff together to make it run smoothly.

If anyone is interested, keep me in mind!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that, much appreciated.
No prob man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
For ya east coasters, I'll be doing this for us coming up next month. I'm getting stuff together to make it run smoothly.

If anyone is interested, keep me in mind!
I 2nd this motion lol
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
There's 7 for the backlight of the gauges, 3 for the odometer, and 7 for the needles. I also did the blinkers(4), low fuel light(1), 4WD/4LO lights(2), headlight "on" indicator(1), and cruise control(1). And there are a lot more back there too. I drew a picture of the whole board and all the LEDs and which way they were notched so I wouldn't forget
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Not trying to thread jack but, what you do so u don't lose you place is get 4 pieces of tape n mark where the needles are on the cluster with a marker or something. It helps so u can out them back on there no prob
^^^^ this for fuel and temp gauges definitely. For the speedo and tach however, I plugged in the cluster and turned the key full on engine off. These gauges always go to zero bc of no speed and no rpms.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootermobile View Post
^^^^ this for fuel and temp gauges definitely. For the speedo and tach however, I plugged in the cluster and turned the key full on engine off. These gauges always go to zero bc of no speed and no rpms.
true that...the first 3 i did i did that way....
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
my led gauge swap is done