Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Could my Mechanical LSD possibly be stuck/locked?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
Could my Mechanical LSD possibly be stuck/locked?

I have a mechanical LSD on my truck and lately (couple of months) ive began to notice the inner wheel, depending on which way im turning, the tire seems to spin as if im im peeling out. About 9 months ago I changed the diff fluid with some Royal Purple. My question, is this common for this type of differential? Should I worry? Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
The mechanical LSDs don't like synthetic.
Regular old dino oil is the best with 4oz of limited slip additive.
Then after you change it, go out and do some figure 8s to get the additive into the clutches.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
I use to have an 01 Toy DC Prerunner Off Road and it does exactly the same as when I would locked the differential.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, first time I changed fluid and used synthetic mine did it too. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, it's the clutches grabbing too much.
Then do the figure 8 trick or run it in circles and it'll be good as new.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
mine did the same thing, when i turned right the right wheel spun faster than the left, after a bunch of speculation and taking it to a few shops we figured out that the clutches in my LSD are worn out so now i basically have an "open diff"
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
mine did the same thing, when i turned right the right wheel spun faster than the left, after a bunch of speculation and taking it to a few shops we figured out that the clutches in my LSD are worn out so now i basically have an "open diff"
well that sucks
how many miles on your truck?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
well that sucks
how many miles on your truck?
yeah it started at 96K, im at 98700
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
rcfreak,, what do you mean by "open diff"? is that the same as what comes on an off road edition when its not locked?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
rcfreak,, what do you mean by "open diff"? is that the same as what comes on an off road edition when its not locked?
not sure about the offroad but its the same as the base model i think
Old 10-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
I always get stares because people think im peeling out of every stop and corner. Im gently on the take offs to avoid it. Royal Purple claims to have the additive already in it,,, dont want to replace it, $$$. But a new diff is alot more.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Try adding more additive.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Mine does it too. Dealership has always taken care of my rear end.... I don't mess with it. I'm pretty sure its normal. I've got 93k on my truck with no ill effects and its done it since day one. I hate it on a wet day and you're trying to jump into traffic, I have to step on the gas driving straight and THEN turn, otherwise I will fish tail into traffic.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
I feel so Devo

ok... I have to back up here.

A LSD will try to keep both tires spinning the same speed under power.

BUT you said it started only a couple months ago AND you indicated you are not flooring it around corners... hold on... I have to go drive around the block a few times...

OK... So if I drive around corners, easy on the gas, no spinning. Give it a little more and the inside tire will start chirping. Floor the gas and it will fish tail (on gravel).

However! I will say it doesn't seem as "active" as when it was newer (now has 103,000 miles). So maybe yours is acting normal.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
yup it feels like it wer locked. i love the way it reacts when going straight off of a light but i dont get any chirping when turning, just extra spinning. playing in the sand and gravel is another different story.