Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Preparing for my first Taco winter

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
TacoPlate is on a distinguished road
TacoPlate's Tacoma Gallery
Preparing for my first Taco winter

I live in Vermont and have a few winters under my belt. The last few have been with a Subaru Outback equipped with snow tires. I have a 20(x2) mile highway commute five days a week. I am going to put snow tires on my 2011 TRD Sport Double Cab. I'm skilled at driving in snow, but have never driven in snow with a truck. Here are my questions:

1. When driving at highway speeds, should I leave it in 4WD?
2. How much does driving in 4WD affect gas mileage?
3. Should I weight the back? (I have a hard tonneau cover.)
4. Any tire suggestions/warnings?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Only drive in 4wd when there's snow/ice on the road.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoPlate View Post
I live in Vermont and have a few winters under my belt. The last few have been with a Subaru Outback equipped with snow tires. I have a 20(x2) mile highway commute five days a week. I am going to put snow tires on my 2011 TRD Sport Double Cab. I'm skilled at driving in snow, but have never driven in snow with a truck. Here are my questions:

1. When driving at highway speeds, should I leave it in 4WD?
no you should not, if the roads are bad enough to need 4wd, you should go that fast, read the owners manual, it will help
2. How much does driving in 4WD affect gas mileage?
i get 17-19-mpg in the summer, and 14-15 in the winter, a mix of crappy winter gas and 4x4 and letting the truck warm up prob account for that
3. Should I weight the back? (I have a hard tonneau cover.)
i do not here in CT, im not convinced you need it with 4WD, just carry a shovel and a bag of sand, not for weight but if you get stuck
4. Any tire suggestions/warnings?
if you get a set of snow tires, get them mounted on their own rims, you can find them cheap and it wil save $$$ in the long run, plus the sand/sal wont ruin your OEM rims

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Antilock brakes on our trucks suck when used in the snow. Be prepared. It will always go - but it won't always stop.