Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS Disabling Mod, and ABS light / Fuse

Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Natemx is on a distinguished road
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
ABS Disabling Mod, and ABS light / Fuse

I was pulling ABS fuses like I have done before with no issues. I had pulled the 30amp (ABS No.2) and the 50amp (ABS No.1) fuse with no issues. The ABS light goes on, Traction light goes on, and I go for a spin in the dirt. This time I thought I'd go one step further and see what ETCS stands for. It stands for Electronic Throttle Control System ( I suppose.) Now the ABS, Traction, and E-Brake lights stay on even with all fuses back in. I had a P2118 code which said "Throttle.........."

1. Had error and lights on.
2. Cleared codes, lights went off.
3. Pulled 50amp ABS fuse No.1 to see which fuse gives the code.
4. Now have Throttle code and cannot clear it.

Will be having my mechanic look more deeply into OBD2 codes. Will also be looking into individual wheel sensors...

Glad I opened up this can of worms on Friday night...
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
pull battery for a few minutes, ten if you have time to kill, during this time make sure all fuses are plugged in.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
DaleD will become famous soon enough
Name: Take a guess.
DaleD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natemx View Post
I was pulling ABS fuses like I have done before with no issues. I had pulled the 30amp (ABS No.2) and the 50amp (ABS No.1) fuse with no issues. The ABS light goes on, Traction light goes on, and I go for a spin in the dirt. This time I thought I'd go one step further and see what ETCS stands for. It stands for Electronic Throttle Control System ( I suppose.) Now the ABS, Traction, and E-Brake lights stay on even with all fuses back in. I had a P2118 code which said "Throttle.........."

1. Had error and lights on.
2. Cleared codes, lights went off.
3. Pulled 50amp ABS fuse No.1 to see which fuse gives the code.
4. Now have Throttle code and cannot clear it.

Will be having my mechanic look more deeply into OBD2 codes. Will also be looking into individual wheel sensors...

Glad I opened up this can of worms on Friday night...
Next time don't go 1 step further?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Natemx is on a distinguished road
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
Next time don't go 1 step further?

Good idea Dale D.

Already pulled the battery for a few seconds while I cycled the key, I'll pull it for longer.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Im over the ABS on this truck in the winter here in Jackson, Wy. Seems to go off way to easily, and i drive SLOW on slick roads....Has almost caused me to slide through intersections multiple times every winter, way to sensitive on solid ice at intersections, and I cant stand it going off anymore!!!

Anyone got a pic of what fuses to pull? Can any harm be done to the system by pulling the fuse? Great write-up on the disable mod Crom did, I just want to pull the fuse and be done with it though...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
ABS mod for trucks with lockers: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html

ABS mod for truck without a locker but with VSC: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-abs-stop.html
Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a fuse to just pull without having to do the mod, not really interested in installing a kill switch. If this is the only way to go looks like a radio shack visit is in order. Don't care it the idiot light is lit all winter either, just want the ABS disabled till May.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
What about disabling it for tacos without a locker or vsc?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
IDK. Search it up. That's how I found the threads I posted.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
IDK. Search it up. That's how I found the threads I posted.
I keep finding threads but none actually say this can be done on one without a locker or vsc...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't work for me...just popped a fuse
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-up-pics.html
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
SPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant future

Air Force: HQ AMC Port Dawg
Name: Jason
SPENCAF's Tacoma Gallery
I know VERY little about electronics so forgive me if this sounds stupid. Dose the connector just plug onto the splice that is attached to the blue and yellow wire? I've never used one of thease splices before.

thanks...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cut the blue wire in half....the extend BOTH ends of the wire to the switch...that's it...super easy. Just use a quqick splice.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Like so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic_QM...e_gdata_player
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natemx View Post
Good idea Dale D.

Already pulled the battery for a few seconds while I cycled the key, I'll pull it for longer.
When you disconnect the battery you can tap both battery cables in the truck together, obviously while the battery is completely disconnected this will clear any memory the truck has stored and might take care of your problem.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
SPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant future

Air Force: HQ AMC Port Dawg
Name: Jason
SPENCAF's Tacoma Gallery
I found this video, is this what I would need to do???
http://youtu.be/8gZwpMdyiz8
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
that will work but don't forget that you are running 2 wires...one from both ends of the cut wire (blue/yellow) so the t tap isn't that ideal for it, but it will work. You would be better of just crimping the wires with with connectors.