Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tire pressure sensor (spare?)

Old 10-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
little red will become famous soon enough

little red's Tacoma Gallery
Question tire pressure sensor (spare?)

I have been told my 2006 tacoma has the 5 tire monitor system that monitors all four tires on the truck as well as the spare. My question is how does this system work. I don't see any wires going to the spare tire area. (I know the tires are not plugged into any wires but something has to relay the pressure from the sensor in the wheel to the warning light)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by little red View Post
I have been told my 2006 tacoma has the 5 tire monitor system that monitors all four tires on the truck as well as the spare. My question is how does this system work. I don't see any wires going to the spare tire area. (I know the tires are not plugged into any wires but something has to relay the pressure from the sensor in the wheel to the warning light)
it operates wirelessly by radio frequency (RF)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
most places will inform you if them and ask if you want to keep them or add them in your next set of tires/rims.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
From the FSM
The 06s did have them in the spare. I ended dropping my spare & flipping it over to make check tire pressure easier. It will trigger the light on occasion.
The system takes up to a max 5 codes. The sensors have id numbers that get registered in the system. The docs explain that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tpms1.pdf (130.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: pdf tpms2.pdf (180.3 KB, 160 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
the wires are invisible.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt even know we had this!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
little red will become famous soon enough

little red's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
From the FSM
The 06s did have them in the spare. I ended dropping my spare & flipping it over to make check tire pressure easier. It will trigger the light on occasion.
The system takes up to a max 5 codes. The sensors have id numbers that get registered in the system. The docs explain that.
I'm glad you told me that because I was tempted to turn mine over to make it easier to check and fill. I don't want the light to keep coming on so I may go to plan B. They make extensions that can be hooked up to the valve stem and dropped down through the wheel so you can get to it. (I have seen them on trucks with dual rear wheels to you can get to the inside tire)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
FTL911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
FTL911's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are great!!!
I am running all around checking all my tires and figuring I have a faulty sensor in one of my tires, since my dash sensor is illuminated. I never stopped to think about the spare. Thanks for solving my problem, fellas.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
From what i understand the tpms sensors have batteries that need replacement after around 7 years. Anyone had theirs replaced yet and how much did it cost?
Sensors are anywhere from $75 to $200 each depending on where you buy them.

Batteries are not technically replaceable.
It can be done, but not with OTC batteries.

Buy 5 new sensors, write down the serial numbers, have them installed, inflate the tires, and someone with a techstream will need to register the new serial numbers with your ECU.

You can thank our nanny government and Ford's erroneous inflation recommendations on a SUV tire for this. This Federal requirement is a direct result of the Explorer/Firestone tire failure issue.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
jeez rich, that sucks! i didnt know they were so expensive. didnt know it was a direct result of the ford/firestone thing either. another reason to make fun of my friends i guess. gotta love ammunition.

i've heard rumors of a dissableing code that can be done to get rid of that light. is this true?

i really dont mind the system too much though, as long as it works. . . .i dreaded it when i bought it, but then again im prone to hating anything government mandated
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
About the time the batteries/sensors need replacement is when i'll be putting something over the dash to cover the light. I refuse to spend that kind of money on something i can easily do with a $5 tire gauge.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
wonderful news about the non-serviceable-proprietary batteries.
The batteries aren't proprietary... they are basically standard CR3023 type lithium cell with solder-tabs welded on.
They are available, just not from Walgreens.

The units can be taken apart and the batteries replaced, but there is the risk of damaging the unit during disassembly.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Fury is on a distinguished road
Fury's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all.

The spare was dropped from the TPWS on the 2009 MY.

To access the spare's valve, drop it down a bit and rotate the spare so the valve faces straight back (then lift it back up). The valve can then be easily reached to both check the pressure and fill if necessary, without flipping the spare to the incorrect position.

Cheers
Ray.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. Sub'd
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
zackn291 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
zackn291's Tacoma Gallery
I work at Chrysler and deal with TPMS all the time. One thing alot of people do is they say "I just checked my tire pressure, inflated the tires and the light is still on". Well if you inflate the tires too much it will set a code and the TPMS light will come on. Make sure you look at the door sticker and go by what it recommends and USE A GAUGE. Just my 2 cents as a tech dealing with it all the time lol
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL911 View Post
You guys are great!!!
I am running all around checking all my tires and figuring I have a faulty sensor in one of my tires, since my dash sensor is illuminated. I never stopped to think about the spare. Thanks for solving my problem, fellas.
From the owner's manual:

When the light comes on: Low tire inflation pressure.

When the light stays on after blinking for 1 minute: Malfunction in the tire pressure warning system.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The batteries aren't proprietary... they are basically standard CR3023 type lithium cell with solder-tabs welded on.
They are available, just not from Walgreens.

The units can be taken apart and the batteries replaced, but there is the risk of damaging the unit during disassembly.
Thank you for elaborating on this. Personally, I'd take a stab at repairing them should the need ever arise.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
geoff7877 has a spectacular aura aboutgeoff7877 has a spectacular aura about

geoff7877's Tacoma Gallery
So, I've heard that the TPMS sensors can be reset to read at a lower PSI by holding down a button located under the steering column. My steelie sensors didn't fit my new wheels. Can I reset the with "0" PSI and get rid the light? Just a thought.

Sorry for the side track.