Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

skid plate for the transfer case

View Poll Results: front skid plate or full skid plate? What do you prefer ?
Front only 4 25.00%
Full front to rear belly plate 12 75.00%
To much weight ! 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
skid plate for the transfer case

I took a look around and could not find the my answer, anyone know where I can find a good transfer case skid plate? any input about them helps too!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
The greenmonstah

thanks ! I gotta look harder next time !
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked All-Pro Off Road?
Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Have you checked All-Pro Off Road?

That's just mean.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
why???
Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
why???
You might mislead him into thinking All-Pro skids hold up...
Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Get All-Pro if you have stock exhaust. Get ATO if you decide to re-route the low-hanging crossover pipe behind the transfer case.

All-Pro: https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...acomatcaseskid
ATO: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...duct-line.html

Just remember, if your truck is armored like a tank, it will weigh like a tank too...
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone knows if you want real armor, you go with ATO.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
If you really need a transfer case skid plate then shouldn't you reroute the exhaust crossover anyways? That's just a no-brainer to me.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
The greenmonstah

thanks for the info. Ill check them out. I plan on doing something with the exhaust at some point.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Just remember, if your truck is armored like a tank, it will weigh like a tank too...
No it won't. My ATO front and rear bumpers weigh 120 each, the full set of skids is about 150, and the sliders are about 100.

Total is about 490, or three average size passengers.

These trucks have load capacity around 1200 lbs. Subtract armor weight and I'm down to about 700. But then the stock hitch (90#) came off for the rear bumper! So that weight trades out, and we're at about 400# of lost payload. Upgrade your suspension, and you're sacrificing even less.

So yes, you use up some of the GVWR, and you WILL sacrifice some mileage, but it's not like the whole truck sags and the tires are about to pop.

Remember people, trucks are built to carry loads. It's what they're for.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
The greenmonstah

how hard would it be to take off the belly plates, If its not a big project each time it would be worth taking the time to put on and take off each time.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
6 or so bolts depending on mfr. A transmission jack or assistant will speed things up a lot.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
No it won't. My ATO front and rear bumpers weigh 120 each, the full set of skids is about 150, and the sliders are about 100.
Total is about 490, or three average size passengers.
Remember people, trucks are built to carry loads. It's what they're for.
Did you weigh the ATO skids before installation? The front skid being 1/4" probably weighs closer to 100 lb.

V6 DCSB Curb Weight 4155
Fuel (6.073 lb/gal x 21 gal) 128
Front Bumper 120
Rear Bumper 120
Rear OEM hitch delete -90
IFS Skid 100
Transfer case skid 60
Transmission / cat skid 60
Gas tank skid 80
Sliders 100
AT or MT Tires (+15 lb x 4) 60
Total 4833

4833 lb is about the weight of a Tundra Long Bed. You are lugging that around without the benefit of the Tundra's 270 hp engine. The added weight won't damage the truck, but it will hurt its performance (accel, braking, cornering) if you use the truck as a daily driver. Applying the same armor to the OP's 3665-lb regular cab 4x4 results in a 19% weight gain, a lot for the 4-cyl to cope with.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
mines a first gen, no skids, just bumpers and sliders and weighs about 5300 with just me in it ans i manouver just fine
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Did you weigh the ATO skids before installation? The front skid being 1/4" probably weighs closer to 100 lb.
The ATO IFS skid is 70lbs. even.

Quote:
V6 DCSB Curb Weight 4155
Fuel (6.073 lb/gal x 21 gal) 128
Front Bumper 120
Rear Bumper 120
Rear OEM hitch delete -90
IFS Skid 70
Transfer case skid 30
Transmission / cat skid 50
Gas tank skid 60
Sliders 100
AT or MT Tires (+15 lb x 4) 60
Total Who cares? Still well under GVWR.
I've corrected your math above with the actual known weight of each skidplate. To be fair, I did forget the gas tank skid. The sliders I never bothered weighing because of what I bolded above. Same with the bumpers.

Additionally, this is all riding on Icon/Emu suspension with increased spring rates, allowing for acceptable handling.

Quote:
The added weight won't damage the truck, but it will hurt its performance (accel, braking, cornering) if you use the truck as a daily driver. Applying the same armor to the OP's 3665-lb regular cab 4x4 results in a 19% weight gain, a lot for the 4-cyl to cope with.
Well yes. That's the compromise. Do you want to wheel your truck or DD it? Making it more capable at one end of that spectrum makes it less capable at the other. Choose. People who don't take this stuff into account shouldn't be modding their vehicles anyway. I suppose if you're willing to unbolt your skid protection between trips, that helps? Additionally, DDing a truck if you don't use a truck daily for work is just silly.

Frankly, if you're worried about gas mileage, you don't need to be wheeling. You're going to break plenty of stuff more expensive than the extra gas from armor weight.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #18
The greenmonstah

If weight id a concern there is the option of fiberglass panels, hood and no tailgate..
Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
thanks for the info. Ill check them out. I plan on doing something with the exhaust at some point.
You won't have to worry about rerouting your exhaust, there is no low hanging crossover on the 4 cylinder. I have had the Budbuilt skids on my truck and sold them to switch to ATO they should show up in the next few weeks. Your username cracked me up...I have family in Maine so it made me think of the accent.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
The greenmonstah

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
You won't have to worry about rerouting your exhaust, there is no low hanging crossover on the 4 cylinder. I have had the Budbuilt skids on my truck and sold them to switch to ATO they should show up in the next few weeks. Your username cracked me up...I have family in Maine so it made me think of the accent.
haha yeah the "ah" is something that a lot of poeple dont get until they hear it in person.

Good, I'm going to upgrade my exhuast soon, maybe in the spring but i'm doing the skid plate now before wintah.