Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

synthetic winch rope

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic winch rope

hello all!!!

i'm installing my warn VR1000 winch on my truck today, and while installing it with the steel rope on i couldn't really lift it in place and push through the bolt, so i took out the steel rope and what a difference it makes, this rope is heavy. I'm looking at some good synthetic rope, does any body know of a good site to order this from? or what's a good brand of synthetic rope? any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
masterpull
viking
amsteel blue

amsteel is cheaper but still great quality

http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=445

http://www.masterpull.com/

http://www.winchline.com/winchline.html
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
You can sell the steel braided cord as there is still very much a market for it to recover some of your costs. Remember that if you are using a roller fair-lead setup to check with the synthetic line manufacturer as some ask you to not use metal fair-lead rollers with their products.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
worn sells a kit. they sell it for every winch they make as far as i know. idk how much it is or anything.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
amsteel FTW
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse1 View Post
You can sell the steel braided cord as there is still very much a market for it to recover some of your costs. Remember that if you are using a roller fair-lead setup to check with the synthetic line manufacturer as some ask you to not use metal fair-lead rollers with their products.
i ordered one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU7005...8131033&sr=1-1
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
what's your experience with these?
mostly camping equipment lol but i have run a winch with it on a recovery truck for a local mud bog. i like it for the fact that no matter how much weight is on it, if it snaps it just falls to the ground. it wont fly around and cut someones arm off. i also like how freaking light the stuff is
Old 10-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
mostly camping equipment lol but i have run a winch with it on a recovery truck for a local mud bog. i like it for the fact that no matter how much weight is on it, if it snaps it just falls to the ground. it wont fly around and cut someones arm off. i also like how freaking light the stuff is
i still don't believe that synthetic rope is stronger than the steel ones, is this proven? i'm getting synthetic mainly for the weight.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
i still don't believe that synthetic rope is stronger than the steel ones, is this proven? i'm getting synthetic mainly for the weight.
i dont know the numbers on steel but i know amsteel can hold a hell of a lot of weight. and it wont rust out on ya. oh and its a lot easier to work with
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #15

samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
i dont know the numbers on steel but i know amsteel can hold a hell of a lot of weight. and it wont rust out on ya. oh and its a lot easier to work with
will they hold up to the element? rain snow sun etc.........
Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it is stronger.

3/8 amsteel is 17,000 strength
3/8 steel line is only 12000

it is also so much lighter so its actually 3x stronger pound for pound

steel springs when it snaps, syn doesnt
when steel frays, it will cut you. syn wont

synthetic is better although steel is more durable as far as dragging on rocks/abrasion resistance
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yes. you can also get protective nylon sheaths for each end. Not sure on your winch but some drums while powering out can get hot enough to melt the syn. so you use a sheath on the first 6' and then you can use one on the last to protect againsy abrasion and sun. though I think its UV stable

syn is stronger and safer but less resistant to abrasion so the nylon sheath is a good bet

you can also splice it back together if you snap it. You ca fit more feet of syn n a winch using same dia rope as steel. so 100' steel, probably 125' syn.

forgive my typing, broke my hand, typing one handed
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
affirmative......IMHO it holds up better than steel. but then again im at the beach alot
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
yes. you can also get protective nylon sheaths for each end. Not sure on your winch but some drums while powering out can get hot enough to melt the syn. so you use a sheath on the first 6' and then you can use one on the last to protect againsy abrasion and sun. though I think its UV stable

syn is stronger and safer but less resistant to abrasion so the nylon sheath is a good bet

you can also splice it back together if you snap it.
x2
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #20

Quote:
I just ordered this. cheaper than other ones i've found. anybody have any comment on this line and rollers?

http://www.amsteelblue.com/item.cfm?itemid=44863

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU7005...8131033&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU7003...f=pd_sim_auto3
IMO good choices

read:
http://www.okoffroad.com/editorial-rope.htm
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2005/winch%20rope/
http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/...inchline-7.htm
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...inch-line.html

Quote:
Synthetic Winch Rope: Synthetic winch ropes are the new kid on the block and there’s lots to talk about. As few premium winch packages come new with synthetic rope. Most winch manufacturer’s are offering a synthetic rope upgrade and you can buy the rope separately to upgrade most types of older winches.
On the plus side, synthetic is light; a 120 foot roll with a hook weighs about 5 pounds. Synthetic generally drops dead with minimal “snap” when something breaks. It’s often stronger than an equivalent diameter wire rope and has appendage-friendly surfaces. It floats and in an emergency you can tie a knot into it. Knots do weaken it but if you perform a long splice at a break, it’s as good as new. Splicing 12 strand rope is lots easier than wire rope.
Synthetic rope also has a few disadvantages. It’s more susceptible to chafing than wire rope. It has a high initial cost, though it’s superior performance makes it a good value overall. The most significant potential operational problem has to do with synthetic’s ability to withstand heat. The common planetary winch has a one-way brake built into the center of the winch drum. When spooling out under power, i.e. lowering the vehicle under a load, that brake will generate some serious heat. Winch manufacturers caution against this lowering practice and advise doing it only in short 20 foot increments with long cooling periods. Rope damage from heat can go unseen on that first layer and damage may start occurring at temperatures as low as 150 degrees.
There are several ways around the temperature dilemma. Some winch rope has a higher temperature resistance but comes with lower tensile strength, so you would have to use a larger diameter rope to maintain the same tensile strength. An interesting cure is to have enough of the high temp rope spliced onto a stronger rope to cover the first later of the drum. Larger diameter rope can be spliced smaller to compensate for the strength difference. An even easier solution is to place an insulating sheath of nylon over that first layer. The easiest solution is to follow the winch manufacturer’s recommendation and not power out in long stretches. Remember that most worm or spur gear winches do not have this problem

Products Discussed in this Thread