Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goo Gone vs. WD 40 - searched couldn't find an answer to my ?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Goo Gone vs. WD 40 - searched couldn't find an answer to my ?

OK I have searched and read a 100 threads, just want to know if WD 40 works better than Goo Gone as an adhesive remover?

I debadged my truck and painted them black, there is still a ton of adhesive on there, I used a ton of Goo Gone and a lot of work and didn't get far. I have used goo gone before to remove badge adhesive, window tint, stickers, etc. this stuff is just not working this time. Will WD 40 work better, also does Autozone or Home Depot carry the 3M eraser wheels for drills, just curious I am going to the store tomorrow.

Any other suggestions, anyone ever put their badges back on on top of some adhesive residue?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i would think it would work better, i work with duct tape alot and spray glue, have used alot of mastic removers, orange sol (all types) neugenic mastic remover (low odor) and have used wd-40 to remove the glue on my hands, i have used goo gone on some projects and i didn't think it work as well as wd-40. when i de-badged i used gasoline which seem to take it all off, over a year of having my truck. you shouldn't have any problems re badging on a smooth surface.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
robsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobsled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robsled's Tacoma Gallery
I have always used 3M Adhesive Remover. It's made specifically for removing residual adhesive. A few drops on a paper towel....wipe back and forth and the adhesive "balls up"......turn the paper towel over with a few more drops.....wipe again and it's clean.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
I've used a product called "goof off" with decent results, surpassing wd40 and Goo gone. It may be made by the same co. As goo gone (Lilly industries) it comes in a little can with one of those flip-up type nozzles. It's billed as the ultimate adhesive remover.However they all take a back seat to a good spray brake cleaner
Goof Off eats paint and clear coat , it say so right on the bottle
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Go Texas Rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... ......to the OP
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
Lol
Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Dilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (AW)
Dilley's Tacoma Gallery
Fingernail then goo gone..
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Scamilton is on a distinguished road
Army: I plug bleeding holes
Name: Soldier
Scamilton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post

Hell yes!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Use your fingernail, that gets 90% of it off. For the remaining 'outline' the you will undoubtedly have, take some Cleaning Compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound and rub it by hand in a circular motion around the area, use a little bit of pressure. Put some fresh wax on and you're good to go.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I always used WD40. works great, doesnt eat clear coat (In my experience)

Use it to get adhesives off from decals, overspray of sunscreen from tourists, etc
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
While I'm not going to debate wether WD40 damages your paint or not, its always smart to use the proper tools and chemicals for the job at hand, ESPECIALLY when giving advice to others. Remember that you're telling someone to use a lubricant with a primarily petroleum based product on their paint of their 30 thousand dollar truck. WD40 also contains solvents.... something to keep in mind.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley View Post
Fingernail then goo gone..
Yep, fingernail then Goo Gone, it took a while, but it worked.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch
YFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Moe
YFZ450MOE's Tacoma Gallery
I used goo gone and an old crappy credit card. But didn't push very hard. Sprayed it on and let it sit for 5 minutes then scrapped it right off.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I used both to remove the crap left behind on my door trim on my Ram. Both seemed to work about the same to me. Just took a lot of time, soaking it, and elbow grease. A real PITA.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
I've used a product called "goof off" with decent results, surpassing wd40 and Goo gone. It may be made by the same co. As goo gone (Lilly industries) it comes in a little can with one of those flip-up type nozzles. It's billed as the ultimate adhesive remover.However they all take a back seat to a good spray brake cleaner
Brake cleaners are usually terrible for paint...ha
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
OK so I am pretty sure my truck was debadged and rebadged at one point because the glue from them was not budging, I got most of it off but the rest wasn't moving.

I tried goo gone, another safe for paint adhesive remover (I forget the name), WD 40, and even went as far as trying gasoline (used to use it all the time to strip wax off surf boards), nothing worked. Thoroughly washed my truck after each attempt and finally waxed the areas as well, no issues wit my paint.

I painted my badges, and reattached them over the little glue that was remaining, I doubt they will fall off or have any issues, while the job doesnt look 100% professional it look great to the average passer by and I am happy with it. If inspected closely you can see some of the glue but you really have to be looking for it.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
Brake cleaner sprayed onto a rag always worked best for me but it will dull your finish so you will need to wax and buff when done.

Oh and to the other off-topic Texans, GO RANGERS!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Get the residue warm, not burning, and it helps a lot to get it off.

Used the 3M remover as well, works great and I haven't harmed paint yet.