Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

axle shims

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
axle shims

Just putting on the aal from toytec and trying to fit axle shim. the pin from leaf would not fit into axle and would be floating with shim......is shim really needed. What if you use driveshaft bearing drop to help angle???? Any thoughts would be appreciated as my truck sits on jacks............
Old 11-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My Rear axel isnt shimmed, nor is the carrier bearing dropped. At 2" of lift in the rear, the vibes I have are minimal. I think you will be fine without the axel shim.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
another suggestion

i got a little shake, no shims w/ carrier drop. thought about shims but its not too bad. Check your u bolts. at first i tightened mine to much in the front first and it pulled the angle of the drive shaft down. I loosened the front and tightened the rear after putting a jack under the shaft and lifting it some, then snugged the front. I didn;t removed the wheels or nothing for this.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Got a grinder?

Grind the outside diameter of the head slightly until it fits in the spring perch. I've had to do that on other vehicles.

The axle shim doesn't have to be attached to anything as long as the centering pin head goes entirely through the shim and into the spring perch.
The u-bolts will hold the shim down with pressure.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks for ideas guys, this is what I did........pin wouldn't fit in hole if shim was in place......grabbed shims and flew em in the bushes..........put it back together and had a little vib to 25 mph....put in spacers for carrier bearing and vib is now to 10mph...........the shifter shakes pretty good from 0 to 5mph.........otherwise everything looks good. OME 885's w/ 140s is perfect....... rides like a truck now....aal and 182s feels good too...... cant wait to hit a few trails and see how it handles then UCA's in the mail and then some shiny new shoes...Any comments on this setup going offroadin??????
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILOTOY View Post
Hey thanks for ideas guys, this is what I did........pin wouldn't fit in hole if shim was in place......grabbed shims and flew em in the bushes..........put it back together and had a little vib to 25 mph....put in spacers for carrier bearing and vib is now to 10mph...........the shifter shakes pretty good from 0 to 5mph.........otherwise everything looks good. OME 885's w/ 140s is perfect....... rides like a truck now....aal and 182s feels good too...... cant wait to hit a few trails and see how it handles then UCA's in the mail and then some shiny new shoes...Any comments on this setup going offroadin??????
If you're still experiencing driveline vibrations - I'd fix that soon before you start ruining u-joints.

The shifter shakes? You'd definately got something that you need to fix.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
what do you think could be causing this.........when I pull out, it shakes ,then stops at about 5mph....clutch related.....bought truck with 46k miles on it ..........any ideas would be helpful Mahalo
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
any ideas what would be causing this..... clutch..... bought with 46k miles on it, other than that it runs smooth to 60 mph...... slows down smooth, wife couldnt tell difference from stock suspension
Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
sorry redundant..........didnt think the first one went thru
Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
any ideas what would be causing this..... clutch..... bought with 46k miles on it, other than that it runs smooth to 60 mph...... slows down smooth, wife couldnt tell difference from stock suspension
You need to give us more information....
Why do you think it's the clutch?

What exactly is it doing?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
well, when I pull out it shakes a little, then goes pretty smooth thru all the gears (4th) and no shake slowing down. let my friend, whose a mechanic drive it around the block and he wasnt sure if it was from the drivetrain or clutch. pretty sure it wasnt that bad before the lift......dont get me wrong, it isnt that bad, but Im such a OCD and want to get it right
Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well, when I pull out it shakes a little, then goes pretty smooth thru all the gears (4th) and no shake slowing down. let my friend, whose a mechanic drive it around the block and he wasnt sure if it was from the drivetrain or clutch. pretty sure it wasnt that bad before the lift......dont get me wrong, it isnt that bad, but Im such a OCD and want to get it right
When you start moving - is the clutch totally out / foot off clutch?

How hard are you taking off from a stop? I mean....are you taking off slowly or are you taking off quickly?

Sometimes when you take off - the initial torque on the driveshaft will pivot it upward a bit beyond the 'sweet spot' and give you some slight vibrations until you get moving. But that's only a guess based on the info you're giving.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Janster, thanks for coming up with a few ideas... drove good today.....pulled out slow, no shake .....pulled out fast very little shake.....no extra vibration...........must have been my OCD coming on yesterday...........Ive tried it a few times and it seems ok.............front end starting to squeak a little from the lift and that is starting to get to me.......other than that everything seems okay Thanks again