1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceTaco, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Please dont shoot me!!!

im going to be buying a new TACO!!...i know good choice

i want to do about a 3 inch lift on it so i have a few questions

what should i use to do it??, im not going to be hardcore wheeling often and when i do nothing crazy.. im basically doing it for the looks ( i hate the stock height of these trucks)
    i dont want a rough ride and i dont want to use cheap parts i dont mind spending the money to do it right the first time.. so basicly what your opinion for the best setup

How much roughly will i be looking @ in parts and install

Thanks ahead for your help..hope to be a new satisfied taco owner soon

2. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    ToyTec adjustable coilovers
    Bilstein 5100s all around
    Total Chaos UCAs
    ToyTec AAL

Roughly $1500-ish and I installed it myself (without a lot of mechanical expertise).

3. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

+1 to that....I went with a cheaper setup (3" strut spacers and Pro-Comp AAL in the rear)
    So far so good....

4. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......

you are the man!!!!

Hay Jason, im curious .....did u get rear TSB done?

5. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Yeah, got the TSB done. It's for that reason I haven't installed the AAL and rear 5100s yet (it's still pretty level).

Plan on doing the rear soon.

6. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    Wilkerson, thats a good setup but the actual figure after install would be like $2,300. I went with the Toytec setup and got it all done under $500. With install. I think our trucks ended up looking pretty similar. Your definately performs better. I think what nicetaco is looking for is looks. So both are good setups its a matter of how much you want to spend. GL

[​IMG]

7. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    nice setup! I almost went with the access cab!

I know that he's looking for looks, but wasn't afraid of spending money. I've never had spacer lifts, but I had heard that they ride a little rougher.

Just offered my opinion (but it's likely there are better, more qualified opinions out there!) :)

$2300 sounds a little high, unless you have it installed somewhere. My total was just over $1800, but that included lifetime alignment from Firestone, the cost of tools I didn't have, etc...

Keep in mind, I installed all mine myself.

8. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    so you got every thing wilkerson said except the shocks or am i wrong....truck looks sweet by the way

9. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Wilkerson....are you talking about part # TTAFCS-6005 on the toytec site...it comes all in with the bilstiens, was this what you were refering to
    what AAL's

10. Nov 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    No way bro. I went with the spacer and a long AAL. I admit it rides a little rougher but I like a stiffer feel. Speed bumps are were I feel it most.

Wilkerson. The Access Cab Rocks! I'm so glad I went with it. I still get the bed and there is still legroom for passengers. The DC with long bed is too long of a truck for me. Plus, access cabs are rare for the 2nd gens. Sharp truck.

11. Nov 4, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    No, part # TTAFCS-CK. I bought the 5100s off ebay. I also ordered the top plate seen in the part number you are referring to for about $130.

I love the look of the access cab, but I got the double cab because of my two border collies. Access cab == not enough room for them...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Nov 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    but the ones im referring to would be the same thing although maybe more expensive but it the same setup all in one ..or am i wrong..what part number on there site for the AAL setup

i need part number and places to find these things....

who makes the 6 inch lift for these things.. i may wanna go higher

13. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the one you're talking about is the same as what I did, only all together from ToyTec. I thought I was gonna be clever and save money by buying all the parts separately, but when all was said and done, it probably cost me about $50 more - but I ended up with the rear 5100s too. So I ended up ahead on the long run! :) If I did it again, I would just buy what you're talking about and not have to worry about stuff.

Part #s:
    Coilovers - TTAFCS-CK
    Diff Drop - TAC-DR
    AAL - TAC-AL-HA (however, they have a new part number for the AAL if you have the TSB springs)
    I don't know the part number to the top plate I got, but if you get the coilovers and shocks together, you won't need it.

6" lifts - I haven't done it on my Tacoma, but I hear good things on this forum about the FabTech kit. However, be prepared to spend a lot more money and make more major modifications to your truck. Just search the forum for 6" lifts - tons of info!

14. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Thanks man!!! i apperciate your help

15. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Good luck and post pics when you're done!

16. Nov 5, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    stro1965

stro1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica Tacoma 4x4
    Would a 3" lift with the stock tires look goofy? Truck is brand new and I'd like to get some use from the new tires.

17. Nov 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    nah. There is already a thread on 3" lifts with stock tires with pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top