1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nocking sound from engine or Transmission??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigwaverdr, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    bigwaverdr

bigwaverdr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Hanalei Bay Kauai
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    Bilsteen Shocks in front (level kit) K&N Air Intake, Custom Sound System
    Hello,
    This nocking noise from engine or transmission is driving me nuts. I have a 2008 Tacoma PreRunner w/automatic trans. and when I start off driving it shifts from first to second normal, but when it goes into 3rd, theres this nocking noise and lack of power. The noise started about a year ago, very slight, you could barely hear it, but now, you can hear it all the time. It doesnt happen when I first start driving, it happens after the engine has been running awhile and when I do alot of stopping and starting around town. I know the normal Toyota engine sounds, its not that. The noise sounds like one of those old cars with worn out valves climbing a hill, but not as bad. But it only does it when it goes into 3rd gear and I stay at a crussing speed of 35-40 and if I give it gas to speed up, then you can really hear it and then it goes away. The truck only has 44,000 miles on it. Ive cleaned the throttle body, tried all 3 different gas grades and it doesnt matter, that noise happens on all 3 grades. Im running Royal Purpal oil in it (just changed it) before that I was running Moble 1. It seems like the trasmission is not shifting right. It goes into first and second normal, but then it shifts into a gear that makes it bog down. Its like riding a motorcycle in the sand, and your in first gear and you get enough speed to go into second gear, but you dont, you go into 4th gear witch makes you bog down into the sand and your engine makes a tireing noise. Anyway, its driving me nuts. The Toyota dealership wont give me a straight answer. They want my money. Do any of you guys have an idea of what it maybe or have you heard of this problem before? Ive gone threw the forum list and I cant find anything.

PLEASE HELP, Thank you so much, Bill

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Hello, i dont have the answer for this particular issue but this forum is for new members to introduce themselves to everyone else. You would get a better response if you post this problem in the right forum. Look above and click on "Forum list" and from there you can select where to get a answer for your issue, by the way welcome to TW!

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    bigwaverdr

bigwaverdr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Hanalei Bay Kauai
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    Bilsteen Shocks in front (level kit) K&N Air Intake, Custom Sound System
    Mahalo, I'm new to this. I noticed your from Hilo, I'm from Hanalei Bay Kauai. I miss the islands, can't wait to move back home. Mahalo!

Products Discussed in

To Top