1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to DIY bilstein adjustable shocks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grivera, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    grivera

grivera [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I just bought a set of (4) 5100 Billys from Sonny at DownSouth Motorsports. $269. - 15% Paypal one day coupon yesterday-so I did pretty well. Anyone to advise how to install the fronts on my own? Is this possible in a driveway? I'm mechanically inclined enough to do brake jobs and such-just wondering if I can pull this off.

FWIW, my truck only has 1K miles and I haven't had the rear spring TSB done yet. Once I have it done, I will attempt top level out the front.

2. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Your gonna have to compress the springs to swap the strut. Unless you have a spring compressor, you can't do it in your drive way.

3. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I know Advance Auto Parts rents tools for free. I wonder if they have a strut compressor.

Do you know if you actually compress the spring or just keep it from expanding to pull the strut out?

4. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    This is what I know - O'Reillys rents tools for free too and I was going to rent the spring compressor. They didn't have it in when I needed it, so I bought one very similar. It simply wasn't strong enough to compress them. I stopped after about 5 minutes because I didn't want to kill myself and my dogs...

Be safe - have it done. PepBoys does it for $20/side. CarX (where I had mine done) matched that - $40.

And yes - you'll have to actually compress them to get the pressure off the nuts to take it apart...

5. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    maricopa_taco

maricopa_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    6 inch procomp lift, 315/70/17 BFGs AT, Eagle Alloys, Carr step, TRD exhaust
    What I did a 2.5 lift on my 02 tacoma, I removed the strut and took it to a shop that was willing to make the change for a few bucks. The AutoZone spring compressor was too weak and the shop I took it too had a industrial type compressor bolt to their wall.

6. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:21 AM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    $20/side wow! that would definitely be worth it if they do a good job. I wonder how they make any money at that price.

7. Nov 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I did the struts on my old pathfinder w/a compressor from AutoZone. It was the same cheap one they sell in the store. It worked OK and it was kind of a PIA. A section of the threads was rounded like the compressor had been used on springs that were too powerful for it. :eek: I used it anyways, :eek: but in hindsight, if you can get it done for $20/side or even $40/side I would personally do that, especially if the shop has a machine that compresses them! :D

8. Nov 5, 2008 at 6:48 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    They probably don't do many, but it's the concept of "charge a little for this, a little for that, and at the end of the day, you made a lot".

The guy at CarX told me that he got afraid when compressing my springs (they were the eibach springs from ToyTec) and he had the machine! I'm all for doing stuff myself (that's why I bought the compressor from O'Reillys) but I just didn't feel safe with this one...

Now, if you can rent a "powered" compressor from somewhere, that's probably a different story. Just be HELLA careful.

9. Nov 6, 2008 at 1:36 PM
    sixonesix

sixonesix Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma DC SB, TRD Offroad 4x4
    Custom Leather Interior/heated seats, Weathertech in and out, Fog Light Mod, Chrome Grill Insert, Waag Rear bush guard, FabTech Front,Lightforce, Snugtop Cap, 5100's @ 1.75
    Changed out my stockers to the 5100's (4)about a month ago. Did it in the driveway..not that hard.....don't waste your time with trying to find a spring compressor that will work, just take the front two down to a shop. I think it took them 10 minutes with a wall mount. Used a How to...write up ...it was either from here or TN. Set them at 1.75..rear shocks are a piece of cake!

10. Nov 6, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco â•’â•Şâ••

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I had a guy at my local offroad shop put the new coils / struts together for a 6 pack of beer :cool:+

I did the one of them myself with 2 little twist-like compressors but it took me FOREVER. That's when i decided to have the other side done on a real machine!

11. Nov 6, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    grivera

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:

Did you have the rear leafspring TSB done. I've gotta wait for at least that to make sure I don't over do it. Is the consensus that WITH the leafspring TSB, the 5100s take about a 1.75" height adjustment to level out the front?

12. Nov 7, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    sixonesix

sixonesix Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma DC SB, TRD Offroad 4x4
    Custom Leather Interior/heated seats, Weathertech in and out, Fog Light Mod, Chrome Grill Insert, Waag Rear bush guard, FabTech Front,Lightforce, Snugtop Cap, 5100's @ 1.75
    Ya I had the rear leaf spring TSB done prior to installing the 51's. It actually looks like it is sitting slightly low on the rear but I will give it a bit more time to see if anything else settles? Not sure if others have experienced this??....but I may have to figure something out to bump up the rear a bit.

13. Jun 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    The $20 bucks a side, what is actually done for that service?

Products Discussed in

To Top