LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best lightbulbs? NON Retro or HID

Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Best lightbulbs? NON Retro or HID

So I don't currently have the cash or patience to do the retrofit projectors on my truck, so I was just curious as to what bulbs you guys are running in your headlamps? (Silverstar or Sylvania seem to be popular brands)... I plan on doing the BHLM and figured I would swap some different bulbs in when I do. Just want some feedback and input on what you guys are using.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
So I don't currently have the cash or patience to do the retrofit projectors on my truck, so I was just curious as to what bulbs you guys are running in your headlamps? (Silverstar or Sylvania seem to be popular brands)... I plan on doing the BHLM and figured I would swap some different bulbs in when I do. Just want some feedback and input on what you guys are using.
I used silverstars before on my car when they were the best output available without ballasts or Fing something up (ebay)

They were pretty good.

edit: sylvania is silverstar
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If I didn't have the HID's I would def go with the silverstars. They make some called "cool blue" that give off a HID look but are super bright.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
If I didn't have the HID's I would def go with the silverstars. They make some called "cool blue" that give off a HID look but are super bright.
Any idea where they fall between temp( like 5000k, 6000k?)

Also, where can I get those?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i believe those are actually only like a 3500 but you can get them at autozone or other auto parts stores

edit: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lBlueProducts/
i think the silverstars would be brighter and more white light in them though. i think what the cool blue does is the color of the tip of the bulb makes it more blue
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
i believe those are actually only like a 3500 but you can get them at autozone or other auto parts stores

i think the silverstars would be brighter and more white light in them though. i think what the cool blue does is the color of the tip of the bulb makes it more blue

Yea, at 3500 I would think it'd be almost all white, given that usually ya get the blue around 6000 or so. But now that you mention the tip, that may be why.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post

This^^

They don't really look that blue. They are def no substitution for HID's. Just giving OP some options to consider.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
which exact model silverstar have you guys used? gonna get me some. can post pics please of the package or model number thankyou
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
go with silverstar ultras if more light is worth replacing them every 12-36 months
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
40 year old teenager
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
go with silverstar ultras if more light is worth replacing them every 12-36 months
I agree....somewhat....they are brighter than stock but in my Scion, I was replacing them every 3 to 6 months. Not worth the hassle to me.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Silverstar ultras....

Don't get the blue bulbs........it doesn't help in bad weather, and blue is irritating to the eyes (yours, and oncoming traffic).

Those "hid look" bulbs are a joke......the blue u see from say a factory high dollar lexus,bmw, or mercedes is just the cutoff or colorband on projector hids...its an artifact that's just happens to "look cool" I guess.

Been there, had em, seen it.....the fx/r, with phillips 4300K (brilliant white) has a thin blue cutoff or colorband.....while driving with em, u see just a fine narrow little bit of it, its just a hairline bit of color....the rest is white as day.

Oncoming vehicles see the blue band more because bumps, and dips in the road cause both vehicles and persons in the vehicles to move up/down......this causes the car coming at the projectors move in and out of the cutoff/colorband.

Someone somewhere exploited this many years ago and made people think.....buy my blue bulbs and u too can appear to have HIDs.

In reality, unless its a higher wattage blue halogen bulb.....ur getting less usable light, irritating ur eyes more, and others.....and making driving in rain, snow, dust, and fog MUCH worse than u would think.

Been there done that about 15yrs ago too......blue is horrible for headlights.
YES PLEASE do NOT put blue bulbs or buy high 'K' color HID's.

It is a waste of money and increases glare to everyone, I don't care how great your cut-off is.

The higher energy, i.e. blue/purple, your light has the more prone it is to scattering, i.e. glare.

The result is that you get less return for the same wattage due to scattering, so people buy even brighter rated lights to try and compensate and it just adds horribly to the issue.

PLEASE read this:
http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

I used to make and sell HID light kits (complete proper kits), adding blue lights or HID lights to non-HID housings is not a good idea.
Illegal too.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever is stock. I already get people flashing their brights at me as is.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
JustATaco is on a distinguished road
JustATaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sylvania just came out with a new bulb called the XPE and its the whitest I've seen. I've had the SS and SSultras and these are even whiter than both. Picked them up at advanced discount auto while the where on sale. Norm 59.99 for the set. Shoot me a message aand I'll try and get you a pick. Currently posting via BB.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
JustATaco is on a distinguished road
JustATaco's Tacoma Gallery
lights

Maybe this will work. These are the new headlights I installed last month. Now if they only made them for the fog lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Best lightbulbs? NON Retro or HID-img-20111010-00176.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I used to have PIAA Xtreme White's and never had a problem with them
I've got those PIAA's now, they're pretty neat. They have a blue reflection in the headlight bowls when the lights aren't on and are nice and white when they are on. The Philips Xtreme bulbs are great, I think even better than the PIAA's. The only reason I changed from them was I got hit and one of them blew out. I think the light output from the Philips bulbs was better than the PIAA's.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
FY01CPO is on a distinguished road

Navy: Machinist's Mate
Name: Jeremy
FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustATaco View Post
Sylvania just came out with a new bulb called the XPE and its the whitest I've seen. I've had the SS and SSultras and these are even whiter than both. Picked them up at advanced discount auto while the where on sale. Norm 59.99 for the set. Shoot me a message aand I'll try and get you a pick. Currently posting via BB.
x2 on the XPEs. I have them and they are definitely white as white is. I like them and they do make a difference. I hope their longevity is better than the Silverstars.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
l1tech is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
l1tech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustATaco View Post
I just put in a set of these too. Been very happy so far.