1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP: Ruptured CV Boots

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HMA, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    HMA

HMA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hal
    Bainbridge, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '10 Taco Surveying Machine '22 Lunar Rock
    '10 TRD 4X4. I noticed grease on my fender wells yesterday. I felt around the outer CV Boots and both of them have apparent punctures. I use this truck for Land Surveying and have been working around corn & cotton fields lately. I'm pretty sure corn and or cotton stalks are the culprit. Questions:

-Are the boots replaceable? If so, what level of effort is required? If not,, should I run as is and wait for the joints to wear out, then replace the axles.

-After I resolve the issue, are there any sort of guards made to keep this from happening again? I had the same problem on a 4 wheeler. I bought some guards from "Ricochet" and they seem to work well.

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    If they haven't been torn for too long, take the CV's in to a shop to be repacked with grease and rebooted. I've never done the job myself but I heard it can get pretty messy if you do it yourself.

Never heard of people running guards for CV's on Tacos, so can't help you there.

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  4. Oct 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    [​IMG]

I feel your pain!

If you don't think you can do it yourself have it taken to a shop. Havent really heard of CV guards because of IFS articulation

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    toytaco970

toytaco970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    avon/vail, co
    Vehicle:
    05 trd offroad 4x4
    Front: Icon IVD coated extended travel coilovers Rear: 5125's with AAL and 1" block. Front sway bar removed. Brute Force Fab bumpers AllPro stuff: UCAs , front skid plate, sliders, rear u-bolt flip kit, e-locker guard Kenwood/Garmin single DIN DVD-NAV system, amp and sub. V1 radar, Foglight anytime mod,
    Boot kits run around $40, you can get the entire axle assembly for a little more from a auto parts store. Rebooting is a messy pain in the ass but not hard to do. I recently replaced both my axles with EMPI axle assemblies. $100 each on autopartswarehouse, no core. Kept the oem axles and will reboot them in the future for spares. If you think this will be an ongoing issue due to your job/truck use, having two sets might be your best bet

6. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    HMA

HMA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hal
    Bainbridge, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '10 Taco Surveying Machine '22 Lunar Rock
    Thanks for the help. I read where several guys had Toyota replace them under warranty. I'm going to give this a try, but I don't expect it to work. I'll probably end up replacing the axles with aftermarket ones. I still want some sort of guards or something to keep it from happening again. Any help on this is appreciated.

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Rebooting them is cheap and not too difficult. I would do that. Aftermarket CV axles are nowhere close in quality to the OEM Toyota axles.

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    I agree on both points here. I have replaced a couple of CV boots in the past and it's a filthy nasty job, but relatively quick and easy.

I've also read lots of horror stories regarding aftermarket CV axles on many Toyota forums. With such a critical component, why take the risk when your axles likely just need new boots and grease?

Dan

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    As shady as it sounds, I would at least try to play the dumb card at the dealer.

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top