Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP: Ruptured CV Boots

Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
HMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
HMA's Tacoma Gallery
HELP: Ruptured CV Boots

'10 TRD 4X4. I noticed grease on my fender wells yesterday. I felt around the outer CV Boots and both of them have apparent punctures. I use this truck for Land Surveying and have been working around corn & cotton fields lately. I'm pretty sure corn and or cotton stalks are the culprit. Questions:

-Are the boots replaceable? If so, what level of effort is required? If not,, should I run as is and wait for the joints to wear out, then replace the axles.

-After I resolve the issue, are there any sort of guards made to keep this from happening again? I had the same problem on a 4 wheeler. I bought some guards from "Ricochet" and they seem to work well.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
If they haven't been torn for too long, take the CV's in to a shop to be repacked with grease and rebooted. I've never done the job myself but I heard it can get pretty messy if you do it yourself.

Never heard of people running guards for CV's on Tacos, so can't help you there.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
http://vimeo.com/3089355
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...boot-tear.html
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery

I feel your pain!

If you don't think you can do it yourself have it taken to a shop. Havent really heard of CV guards because of IFS articulation
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
toytaco970 is just really nicetoytaco970 is just really nicetoytaco970 is just really nicetoytaco970 is just really nicetoytaco970 is just really nice
toytaco970's Tacoma Gallery
Boot kits run around $40, you can get the entire axle assembly for a little more from a auto parts store. Rebooting is a messy pain in the ass but not hard to do. I recently replaced both my axles with EMPI axle assemblies. $100 each on autopartswarehouse, no core. Kept the oem axles and will reboot them in the future for spares. If you think this will be an ongoing issue due to your job/truck use, having two sets might be your best bet
Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
HMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
HMA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. I read where several guys had Toyota replace them under warranty. I'm going to give this a try, but I don't expect it to work. I'll probably end up replacing the axles with aftermarket ones. I still want some sort of guards or something to keep it from happening again. Any help on this is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytaco970 View Post
Boot kits run around $40, you can get the entire axle assembly for a little more from a auto parts store. Rebooting is a messy pain in the ass but not hard to do. I recently replaced both my axles with EMPI axle assemblies. $100 each on autopartswarehouse, no core. Kept the oem axles and will reboot them in the future for spares. If you think this will be an ongoing issue due to your job/truck use, having two sets might be your best bet
Rebooting them is cheap and not too difficult. I would do that. Aftermarket CV axles are nowhere close in quality to the OEM Toyota axles.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
danimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud ofdanimal92sport has much to be proud of
danimal92sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Rebooting them is cheap and not too difficult. I would do that. Aftermarket CV axles are nowhere close in quality to the OEM Toyota axles.
I agree on both points here. I have replaced a couple of CV boots in the past and it's a filthy nasty job, but relatively quick and easy.

I've also read lots of horror stories regarding aftermarket CV axles on many Toyota forums. With such a critical component, why take the risk when your axles likely just need new boots and grease?

Dan
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMA View Post
Thanks for the help. I read where several guys had Toyota replace them under warranty. I'm going to give this a try, but I don't expect it to work. I'll probably end up replacing the axles with aftermarket ones. I still want some sort of guards or something to keep it from happening again. Any help on this is appreciated.
As shady as it sounds, I would at least try to play the dumb card at the dealer.

Fink