Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad: Hauling Dirt

Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad: Hauling Dirt

I need to make a couple of trips to and from a place called Living Earth to get loads of topsoil. Is it OK to have them fill the bed to the brim, or should I do half loads? Will only be driving 10-15 miles on it. I am asking in terms of weight of the load for the suspension.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Forging Elite Fitness
TACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
TACODACKS's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to the top of the bed, just make sure you cover it with a top so it doesn't blow all over the road.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guestimating here because I can't find exact figures on the density of your particular topsoil or the volume of a short bed on a tacoma but I'd be leery of filling the bed to the top.

Assuming a 5'x5' bed at 2' deep, that's 50 C.F. According to THIS website, topsoil runs around 83#/CF. Doing the math, that comes to approximately 4150#. A bit much for a Taco.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah... half loads!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
I'm guestimating here because I can't find exact figures on the density of your particular topsoil or the volume of a short bed on a tacoma but I'd be leery of filling the bed to the top.

Assuming a 5'x5' bed at 2' deep, that's 50 C.F. According to THIS website, topsoil runs around 83#/CF. Doing the math, that comes to approximately 4150#. A bit much for a Taco.
NO WAY a cubic foot of top soil weighs 83 lbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Home depot has 1 cubic foot of top soil weighing 33lbs

33lbs x 50cf = 1650lbs

still a little much for the taco which is rated at 1300lbs in the bed or something like that. Although I wouldn't go with a FULL load, I'd say that it is doable. I would stick with like 3/4 loads or just light loads.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what's better than owning a trailer?

answer: having a friend that owns a trailer.

i just recently towed 2 yards of topsoil to my home. i used this trailer. really helped to minimize my trips. can you rent/borrow a trailer?
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad:  Hauling Dirt-cellphone-pics-114.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what's better than owning a trailer?

answer: having a friend that owns a trailer.

i just recently towed 2 yards of topsoil to my home. i used this trailer. really helped to minimize my trips. can you rent/borrow a trailer?
You can rent trailers from U-Haul and many DIY landscaping stores too.

For the record I once hauled 1.1 tons of gravel in my '85 I had.
The guy with the giant loader (you know the ones that fill a dump truck in 2 or 3 scoops) jiggled the bucket to get 'just a little more' to slide off into my bed. Well a crap load slid off.

I only had 5 miles to go and it actually handled it pretty darn well.
I would never do it again though.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
NO WAY a cubic foot of top soil weighs 83 lbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Home depot has 1 cubic foot of top soil weighing 33lbs

33lbs x 50cf = 1650lbs

still a little much for the taco which is rated at 1300lbs in the bed or something like that. Although I wouldn't go with a FULL load, I'd say that it is doable. I would stick with like 3/4 loads or just light loads.
Could be the difference between bank and loose densities. I just did a google search and that's what I came up with.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
Have the fella loading it dump slow, and cut him off when your truck squats. Dont rest the bumpstops on the leaf springs. Who cares what weighs what.

Tell a guy with an endloader to give you exactly 1350lbs of topsoil and see how much he laughs at you.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Well since the Tacoma's bed isn't 5 feet wide, and you loose quite a bit of volume with the wheel wells, and I don't think the bed is two feet deep...you should be perfectly fine with a full load of top soil, as long as it isn't saturated with water.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Reel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really nice

Name: Gary
Reel Tuff's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

The guy loading it will know when to stop. I wouldn't put 1600 lb in it. Like one poster said, just watch it.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I've put two cubic yards of dirt in the bed of my Tacoma and even when going over speed bumps and a curb to get to the site I never hit the bump stops. I have an '09 Access Cab with the TSB springs so that might have made a difference but I never felt like the truck was overloaded, just had to give it more gas!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
The place you are getting it from should know how much it weighs. Just tell them you can't haul more than 1,200lbs (leaving a little room for error).

Fink
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
urbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant future
urbanplanner's Tacoma Gallery
You'll most likely buy the topsoil in 1/2 yard increments. A 1/2 yard in my short box fills it 3/4 full and is about all the weight I'm comfortable with including my add-a-leaf.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
PudgiesinWaverly is on a distinguished road
Name: Pudge
PudgiesinWaverly's Tacoma Gallery
FULL LOAD

I put a yard (little less than to the brim) of quarry process. Rock. In a 97 access cab. Full load of dirt is nothing in comparison. C'Mon, thought we all believed these were reliable push it to the edge TRUCKS.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Lonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud of

Lonewolf's Tacoma Gallery
Full load. here is a pic of my truck filled with about 150 square feet of 4 " thick grass and dirt. Drove 50 miles w no problem.
Check it: