Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Re-Worked Bumper good advice guys

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #21
plurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
plurpimpin's Tacoma Gallery
Not gonna lie, the first version looked like crap. It looked like someone punched your truck and gave it a fat lip. But this one looks awesome! I'd totally rock that on my truck
Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #22
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I think they both look good. In fact, I think the first one's corners are stronger and will take more abuse.
Good job!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Both are more than I could produce so I give you credit for making your own bumper! That being said, the second one looks much, much better! How come you stopped the sides short and didn't extend them to match the fenders though? Seems if you came down on the right spot you'd miss the plate bumper and land straight on the quarter panel.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #24
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work.

You should consider cutting a few holes in the front to allow more air to flow to the radiator.

Also, you might want to give a little more space between the headlights and the wings. When you flex the truck offroad, the bumper will not move (frame mounted) but the cab will flex on its mounts. You'll end up popping your flares and headlights loose if it becomes a contest of cab vs. bumper.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #25
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Both are more than I could produce so I give you credit for making your own bumper! That being said, the second one looks much, much better! How come you stopped the sides short and didn't extend them to match the fenders though? Seems if you came down on the right spot you'd miss the plate bumper and land straight on the quarter panel.
I am still giving that area some thought. I will eventually fabricate an add on to the bumper to cover that area. Thanks bro
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Nice work.

You should consider cutting a few holes in the front to allow more air to flow to the radiator.

Also, you might want to give a little more space between the headlights and the wings. When you flex the truck offroad, the bumper will not move (frame mounted) but the cab will flex on its mounts. You'll end up popping your flares and headlights loose if it becomes a contest of cab vs. bumper.
Thats a good Idea I may do that. I left a half inch between the cab and the bumper so I will keep an eye on things Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
I am still giving that area some thought. I will eventually fabricate an add on to the bumper to cover that area. Thanks bro
Work in progress, I like it! Still, a lot of work has gone into making that bumper. Looks good, keep up with the tweaks and you'll have a great looking plate bumper. 80 lbs is nothing, I'm surprised it's so light. I think most are about 100.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
MUCH better. Props
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #29

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Work in progress, I like it! Still, a lot of work has gone into making that bumper. Looks good, keep up with the tweaks and you'll have a great looking plate bumper. 80 lbs is nothing, I'm surprised it's so light. I think most are about 100.
used 3/16 plate all around.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #30
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Much improved

I suggest cutting some sort of hole in the front to allow air thru in the front tho, wrapping in around the sides slightly, maybe a mount on the side of the frame rails, and some more gussetting.

You're definitely on the right track tho

Edit: Make sure you have enough room under the lights/fender so that the frame flex doesn't cause it to come in contact!
i agree with all of this!

looks great dude, wish i could make something like that...