Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need your thoughts on tires

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
JustATaco is on a distinguished road
JustATaco's Tacoma Gallery
need your thoughts on tires

I'm going to need tires soon. I don't have the money to the suspension lift so would you just buy regular truck tires and wait or buy the bigger tires and strut tower spacers for now then buy the suspension lift parts as I can?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
FY01CPO is on a distinguished road

Navy: Machinist's Mate
Name: Jeremy
FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
How much of a lift are you thinking? I have seen some guys on here run the 265/75/16s on 1.5-3" lifts IIRC. I don't have a lift and run that size tire too with nothing but a grin on my face as I am driving! I guess you won't be needing much in the way of snow traction down your way though...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
1) Get the tires
2) Save every penny you can to get the lift.
3) Wear out the tires you buy and get the lift between now and then and don't forget-you can take the tires you buy now and trade them in for a set of bigger ones down the road...
4) Replace and upsize down the line.

I personally don't like spending money I don't have to-Even if it is only a couple 100 bones for a spacer lift. You lift will work fine with smaller tires-but depending on the type of lift and the size of bigger tires you want...you might have trouble fitting them.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
i found that 265x60x18's fit on my reg cab,
Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
1) Get the tires
2) Save every penny you can to get the lift.
3) Wear out the tires you buy and get the lift between now and then and don't forget-you can take the tires you buy now and trade them in for a set of bigger ones down the road...
4) Replace and upsize down the line.

I personally don't like spending money I don't have to-Even if it is only a couple 100 bones for a spacer lift. You lift will work fine with smaller tires-but depending on the type of lift and the size of bigger tires you want...you might have trouble fitting them.
X2
Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
One can trade in tires?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
One can trade in tires?
In FL and LA there are used tire dealers all over the place. I got my up-sized spare +cash for my 4 good stock tires.
The dude had piles of tires all over the place...and would work a deal in a hot second.
So it is your used tires for other used tires- but yeah...less cash than new tires and less waiting for tires to wear out.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
In FL and LA there are used tire dealers all over the place. I got my up-sized spare +cash for my 4 good stock tires.
The dude had piles of tires all over the place...and would work a deal in a hot second.
So it is your used tires for other used tires- but yeah...less cash than new tires and less waiting for tires to wear out.
Interesting. I have not heard of such things. A lot of places around here shy away from used tire sales due to the possibility of failure and the associated liability.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
I got my ties cheep when they said they where on back order for 16's they had 18's ready to go so I took them at the 16 inch price and they bought my old ties from me for a few bucks !
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Answer is easy: You don't have the money for a lift. That is all that needs to be said. By smaller tires and live with it. Take a look around. There is no telling if we are at the bottom or headed for a nose dive in this economic mess.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
JustATaco is on a distinguished road
JustATaco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys! I looked at replacing with the same tires that are on the truck and they are more than the larger tires I want. I think what I may do based on the advice is buy one size up and then get the suspension lift when I can then when these replacement tires wear out upgrade the tires and wheels.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
"Its all ball bearings nowadays"
elykTacos is a glorious beacon of lightelykTacos is a glorious beacon of lightelykTacos is a glorious beacon of lightelykTacos is a glorious beacon of lightelykTacos is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kyle
elykTacos's Tacoma Gallery
FY01CPO, are the tires in this photo the 265/75/16s you refer too?