1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Kit modification

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Xumalady, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    Xumalady

Xumalady [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner, Speedway Blue
    Running boards, tonneau cover
    Good evening, I absolutely love my truck! 6 years and going strong! However, due to an unfortunate incident :mad:, a product dripped on my dash (radio and clock area) and caused damage. After getting a quote from the dealership for $2000 for repairs, their insurance company is sending me a check. However, I stumbled across this forum, now I'm getting other ideas...I thought perhaps you might can give me some ideas....

I think I can get the dash kit for under $50, and new stereo for under $200, and probably do the work myself or find someone near who can help me out. However...the dash has the hazard light switch, clock, passenger airbag and security light built into it. This was all melted. I don't know where to get that replacement part. The dealership would like $300 for that. Does anyone have any ideas? I estimate I might can do it myself for under $700, and use the rest for some of these great ideas on the forum. :) Thanks!

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Well. I was just about to post about selling a spare Hazard clock that I have. I bought it from another member here because I needed a spare while I did a project on my Tacoma. I was blacking out my cab. Now I have this spare. Ill take some pics and post them up if you want. You would likely save a lot of cash at least on this part.

If you need an OEM radio, I have one, but it was painted black, so I'm not sure if you'd want that.

Just tell me if you are interested.

Edit: Here are the photos of the hazard clock...

DSCF0724.jpg
    DSCF0725.jpg
    DSCF0726.jpg
    DSCF0727.jpg

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    What the heck did they spill on it?

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers //TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    265/70/17 BFG KO2/17"x7" Pro Sema Wheels/OME 884/Bilstein 5100 front & rear/HeadStrong 1/4" TP spacer/Deaver 1.5"-2" AAL/Mud-Flap delete/Westin Bed mat/UltraGauge/ WeatherTechs/AFE Pro Dry Drop in Filter/debadged/AVS in-channel window visors/color-matched OEM grille/Kicker 6.75" Components in front door/Alpine KTP-445U power pack behind factory head unit/
    x2

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have you checked e-bay?? LKQ has a fairly healthy selection of used part for cheap.

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Musta been some serious stuff.

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Xumalady

Xumalady [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    It was a gel air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. Everywhere it dripped, it melted the plastic.:eek: Go figure. Anyway, you all seem to be very knowledgeable, and I'm fairly handy with tools, so I think I can probably replace the dash with one from *********.com and get a nice radio w/usb and bluetooth, install it myself, and come out much, much cheaper than the dealership wanted just to replace the original parts. Does that seem like a reasonable plan, or pie in the sky?

8. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    You'll use up less money if you eBay the radio dash kit. Like for example search for the "scoshe" or "metra" kit for the Tacoma. If they do not come with the wiring harness, you can easily get it for like 1 buck at eBay as well. That is what I did. Only part I spent real money on was the radio itself and even then I did not pay that much for the one I have and love.

********* is nice and all, but expensive as hell.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Damn. Gel air freshener. Fail.

But with 2000 bucks, you should be set. If it was my truck, I would just buy used parts( there are a plethora of them out there) and use the rest of the money for other truck parts. Just me though.

Sounds as if you have a good idea about what you want. ********* could be pricey though

10. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    Xumalady

Xumalady [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, guys! Great ideas, I think I'm on the right track! The damage to the dash has a similar effect on me as a crooked picture on the wall, I want to fix it everyday. My cousin sent me a link to this site, and it has been VERY helpful and informative. Now, I just have to youtube how to solder. LOL!

11. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Why do you need to solder?

If you use this type of crimp:

[​IMG]

You can take care of any radio connections for the aftermarket harness. Apart from that, I do not know of anything that would need soldering. Everything should have it's OEM harness in good condition no?

12. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    Xumalady

Xumalady [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    LOL! Thank you for the welcome. I'm looking to upgrade the stereo, I spend long road trips of 12 hours or so to visit family in North Carolina and would like to have a unit that is bluetooth/Iphone compatible.

13. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    Xumalady

Xumalady [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    BTW, does anyone know the exact measurements of the stereo opening on the Scoshe unit, and recommendations for a stereo? Is there a wattage recommendation, I don't plan to change out the speakers.

As for the soldering, the unit with the temperature/navigation went out last year, and I thought I would follow the advice on one of the threads to see if there was a disconnection. It was recommended to solder it back, but I would be OK with a crimp if that would work. I really liked that unit, and would enjoy having it work again. The dealership offered to order me one for $230 + installation, and I just can't do that at the moment. These threads have been helpful and informative.

14. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    For radio units they are measured as single din or double din. Single din's are the smaller units, Double din's are the ones that usually have navigation and such.

I would honestly recommend the Pioneer 3300BT unit. It is an awesome unit that gives you plenty of control and will give enough juice to stock speakers to make them sound good. This will consist of simple taking out old radio and putting new one in. You can get a harness for like 1 buck at eBay and I'm sure we can help you here with the connection of wires. The unit I'm referring to is a double din. It has Ipod connection through a USB in the front, as well as Bluetooth integrated. I use it daily. I love it, although I have the previous version, the 3200BT. The 3300 should be even better though.

As for soldering, I did not know you were referring to the temperature display. I thought it was for audio stuff. If it is for the temperature display, you will have to solder. An inexpensive solder form RadioShack will suffice along with practicing a bit before doing it on the piece. If you order a new one from dealer it will eventually break again. It is not worth it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    what are those called

16. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:

Crimp caps or Bell crimps and they are worth their weight in gold...

Products Discussed in

To Top