Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dash Kit modification

Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Xumalady is on a distinguished road
Xumalady's Tacoma Gallery
Question Dash Kit modification

Good evening, I absolutely love my truck! 6 years and going strong! However, due to an unfortunate incident , a product dripped on my dash (radio and clock area) and caused damage. After getting a quote from the dealership for $2000 for repairs, their insurance company is sending me a check. However, I stumbled across this forum, now I'm getting other ideas...I thought perhaps you might can give me some ideas....

I think I can get the dash kit for under $50, and new stereo for under $200, and probably do the work myself or find someone near who can help me out. However...the dash has the hazard light switch, clock, passenger airbag and security light built into it. This was all melted. I don't know where to get that replacement part. The dealership would like $300 for that. Does anyone have any ideas? I estimate I might can do it myself for under $700, and use the rest for some of these great ideas on the forum. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Well. I was just about to post about selling a spare Hazard clock that I have. I bought it from another member here because I needed a spare while I did a project on my Tacoma. I was blacking out my cab. Now I have this spare. Ill take some pics and post them up if you want. You would likely save a lot of cash at least on this part.

If you need an OEM radio, I have one, but it was painted black, so I'm not sure if you'd want that.

Just tell me if you are interested.

Edit: Here are the photos of the hazard clock...
Attached Thumbnails
Dash Kit modification-dscf0724.jpg   Dash Kit modification-dscf0725.jpg   Dash Kit modification-dscf0726.jpg   Dash Kit modification-dscf0727.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
What the heck did they spill on it?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Musta been some serious stuff.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
It was a gel air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. Everywhere it dripped, it melted the plastic. Go figure. Anyway, you all seem to be very knowledgeable, and I'm fairly handy with tools, so I think I can probably replace the dash with one from tacotunes.com and get a nice radio w/usb and bluetooth, install it myself, and come out much, much cheaper than the dealership wanted just to replace the original parts. Does that seem like a reasonable plan, or pie in the sky?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You'll use up less money if you eBay the radio dash kit. Like for example search for the "scoshe" or "metra" kit for the Tacoma. If they do not come with the wiring harness, you can easily get it for like 1 buck at eBay as well. That is what I did. Only part I spent real money on was the radio itself and even then I did not pay that much for the one I have and love.

TacoTunes is nice and all, but expensive as hell.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xumalady View Post
It was a gel air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. Everywhere it dripped, it melted the plastic. Go figure. Anyway, you all seem to be very knowledgeable, and I'm fairly handy with tools, so I think I can probably replace the dash with one from tacotunes.com and get a nice radio w/usb and bluetooth, install it myself, and come out much, much cheaper than the dealership wanted just to replace the original parts. Does that seem like a reasonable plan, or pie in the sky?
Damn. Gel air freshener. Fail.

But with 2000 bucks, you should be set. If it was my truck, I would just buy used parts( there are a plethora of them out there) and use the rest of the money for other truck parts. Just me though.

Sounds as if you have a good idea about what you want. Tacotunes could be pricey though
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Thank you, guys! Great ideas, I think I'm on the right track! The damage to the dash has a similar effect on me as a crooked picture on the wall, I want to fix it everyday. My cousin sent me a link to this site, and it has been VERY helpful and informative. Now, I just have to youtube how to solder. LOL!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

Why do you need to solder?

If you use this type of crimp:

You can take care of any radio connections for the aftermarket harness. Apart from that, I do not know of anything that would need soldering. Everything should have it's OEM harness in good condition no?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
LOL! Thank you for the welcome. I'm looking to upgrade the stereo, I spend long road trips of 12 hours or so to visit family in North Carolina and would like to have a unit that is bluetooth/Iphone compatible.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
BTW, does anyone know the exact measurements of the stereo opening on the Scoshe unit, and recommendations for a stereo? Is there a wattage recommendation, I don't plan to change out the speakers.

As for the soldering, the unit with the temperature/navigation went out last year, and I thought I would follow the advice on one of the threads to see if there was a disconnection. It was recommended to solder it back, but I would be OK with a crimp if that would work. I really liked that unit, and would enjoy having it work again. The dealership offered to order me one for $230 + installation, and I just can't do that at the moment. These threads have been helpful and informative.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xumalady View Post
BTW, does anyone know the exact measurements of the stereo opening on the Scoshe unit, and recommendations for a stereo? Is there a wattage recommendation, I don't plan to change out the speakers.

As for the soldering, the unit with the temperature/navigation went out last year, and I thought I would follow the advice on one of the threads to see if there was a disconnection. It was recommended to solder it back, but I would be OK with a crimp if that would work. I really liked that unit, and would enjoy having it work again. The dealership offered to order me one for $230 + installation, and I just can't do that at the moment. These threads have been helpful and informative.
For radio units they are measured as single din or double din. Single din's are the smaller units, Double din's are the ones that usually have navigation and such.

I would honestly recommend the Pioneer 3300BT unit. It is an awesome unit that gives you plenty of control and will give enough juice to stock speakers to make them sound good. This will consist of simple taking out old radio and putting new one in. You can get a harness for like 1 buck at eBay and I'm sure we can help you here with the connection of wires. The unit I'm referring to is a double din. It has Ipod connection through a USB in the front, as well as Bluetooth integrated. I use it daily. I love it, although I have the previous version, the 3200BT. The 3300 should be even better though.

As for soldering, I did not know you were referring to the temperature display. I thought it was for audio stuff. If it is for the temperature display, you will have to solder. An inexpensive solder form RadioShack will suffice along with practicing a bit before doing it on the piece. If you order a new one from dealer it will eventually break again. It is not worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Why do you need to solder?

If you use this type of crimp:

You can take care of any radio connections for the aftermarket harness. Apart from that, I do not know of anything that would need soldering. Everything should have it's OEM harness in good condition no?
what are those called
Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
what are those called

Crimp caps or Bell crimps and they are worth their weight in gold...