1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member- Initial Impressions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mbrogz3000, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Hi all, just want to introduce myself. For about a week, I've been the proud owner of a brand new 2011 Silver Tacoma DC SB TRD Off Road. I am a 'car-convert' from a 2004 Mazda6 V6, but it was time to move on to something with much more utility for doing stuff and all terrain capability for the seriously inclement weather which has become much more frequent in the past years.

So far I've been pretty happy with the decision, which actually took me about a year. Originally I had been looking at the new 4Runner, but once the $1000+ price hike occurred shortly after the Japan Tsunami and nuclear reactor crisis, the overall cost of the one I really wanted (Trail+KDSS++ a forced Navi option in my region) which already was expensive to me became exorbitantly expensive for what it was. After much consideration on other cars/trucks/crossovers I ended up down selecting on a Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed(no JBL) since it seemed to have most of the utility and off road features that the 4Runner Trail has at a great price. I saw a fresh 2012, base model on the lot and to me the updated headlights and bumper did not warrant the extra cost, headache of added haggling, and temptation to get the $2000 Entune system. I never imagined I’d be driving a truck, but during both supervised and unsupervised test drives was impressed and loved the way the steering, handling, braking felt for such a larger vehicle in comparison to what I had been driving as well as my wife’s 2010 Rav4 Sport V6. As one review I found similarly stated, it has a refined road feel up front and a typical truck feel in the rear, which I pretty much agree with. Acceleration is so-so, but at the same time I’m still avoiding ‘sudden acceleration’ while the drivetrain continues to break in. I’m on my 2nd fillup (“Free tank of gas” was barely touching F in case you were wondering), I averaged 19.6 mpg, and am hoping to see that get even better as it breaks in and becomes more of my vehicle.

My negotiated price of the truck ended up at $29,870, which included reverse-cost VIN etching + $900 worth of typical dealer add-ins (both no cost to me). I’m looking to keep the truck for a very long time, so the fact that it’s a 2011 vs. 2012 did not matter to me + they had 3 of the exact model and colors I wanted on the lot giving me some more bargaining leverage. Anyway, that’s my initial take on the truck. I can see there is already a wealth of mature information for the various Tacoma models here, and I look forward to adding whatever I can to the site.

2. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Welcome to TW

3. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :wave: Glad you found the site!

4. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
  5. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW from Nova Scotia.

Frank

6. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Welcome to TW :wave:

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    Welcome home. Hope you like to mod your truck. If you don't you aren't human. LOL

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    Welcome. Now, go cut up all your credit cards immediately. You'll thank me later.

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    FY01CPO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    Where were you when I joined? LOL I think I have paid as much for my mods as I did for the truck! And I am not anywhere close to being done.

10. Oct 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Thanks! I am well aware of how easy it is to go all out on a new vehicle. I'm looking to sell my CP-E intake to my Mazda6 and then get an exhaust. The intake, which also had an air/fuel ratio mod for the ecu, added a true 20hp and 20ft-lb of torque throughout most of the rpm range. It was a semi-sleeper, but never had quick off the line acceleration. I had a complete suspension upgrade on my Mazda which included thicker front/rear sways, 0.75" lowering with linear springs, Koni yellow shocks..the thing handled like it was on rails. But that Mazda "quality" came through on all aspects of the vehicle almost exponentially in the last 2-3 years of the 8 years I owned it, which led me to get rid of it before it got even worse.

All I'm looking to do right now is change the exhaust and intake...the engine feels like it has some intentional restriction when you get on it and let it ride all the way up through its RPMs. I asked my wife, but the supercharger kit is a no go :(. Right now I'm still getting used to just driving the truck around in heavy traffic which I'm finding to be a challenge at times.

11. Oct 12, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    FY01CPO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Yeah, I feel that being in traffic with it is painful at times. It will just take some time to get used to it. I added side marker LEDs for my turn signals right under my side view mirrors. The whole mod cost me something like $15. They are very visible during the day but at night, they really help.

Here is the link to the DIY that I used: Side marker Turn Signals

12. Oct 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Welcome:wave: and TRD off road FTW! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top