Notices

DTRL Melting Lens

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Poacher is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jim
Poacher's Tacoma Gallery
Angry DTRL Melting Lens

Both my daytime running lights are melting the interior lens on my 09. Went to the dealer and they searched on the computer and found the issue, but said it is a 3 year/36K mile warranty--I have 40K on my rig. So they give me Toyota's 800 # and I just spent an hour with them to have them say that given my loyal customer status bullshit, they will pay for the parts and I can pay for the labor--on a reimbursment basis ($800+ total and they will pay me $589 back).

That is not a bad deal, but they are stock bulbs and I have my Taco serviced at the dealer, so what happened to the 47 point inspection when they service my rig???

I know you guys can help, so give it up before I explode
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
$800 for new headlights

The daytime running lights melting is a known problem. You should lay into them for it to be free. Serious. It happens to every truck eventually.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There are many threads on this. No one has come up with a reason. My 2010 doesn't have this issue.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Air Force:
Poacher's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking my first response will be to just send me the new assemblies and I will install them myself. Then when they poo-poo that let them have it.

Konaborne,
I can't get ebay at work, so how much of the entire light set can I get? It is all one deal, is it not?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy the entire assembly for 70, and if you seal them up they should be fine. Doesn't take too long to put em in yourself either.

Try make them pay for it though, since it is their problem.

800?! Bah....that's horsebananas
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
09taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher View Post
Both my daytime running lights are melting the interior lens on my 09. Went to the dealer and they searched on the computer and found the issue, but said it is a 3 year/36K mile warranty--I have 40K on my rig. So they give me Toyota's 800 # and I just spent an hour with them to have them say that given my loyal customer status bullshit, they will pay for the parts and I can pay for the labor--on a reimbursment basis ($800+ total and they will pay me $589 back).

That is not a bad deal, but they are stock bulbs and I have my Taco serviced at the dealer, so what happened to the 47 point inspection when they service my rig???

That's bull $hit they are being this firm about the mileage. I had the same problem that I didnt notice until around 45K miles and the delaership took care of it under warranty.

They did also tell me that the headlights were $800 new!! (highway robbery)
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
09taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher View Post

Another option is to disassemble your current headlights and remove the inner lens that is cracked then you wont have that problem ever again.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Air Force:
Poacher's Tacoma Gallery
I need to think about what to do, but it sucks that I have to fight them over it or do it myself.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Last week I did the DTRL mod by jumping the wire from the side marker and utilising the "low" element of the bulb for the DTRL's. I've been reading avout the lens melting and bubbling problem for the last few days and decided to change the bulb to a lower wattage to be on the safe side. I stopped after work at Advance Auto and picked up a pair of 3057A bulbs for $6 total. I liked the spec's on the 3057 because the wattage was lower than the stock 4157 on both the "low" AND "high" element side.

For reference:
The 4157 is 28.5 / 7.5 watts
The 3157 is 26.9 / 8.3 watts
The 5702 is 26.9 / 8.3 watts (also a smaller bulb = further from the lens)
The 3057 is 26.9 / 6.7 watts

For people who have stock relays, any bulb will be better as you will utilize the "high" element for the DTRL's.
For people who modified as I did, the 3057 is the better choice as it's the lowest wattage for the "low" element (the element used for the DTRL's)

Also as a side note:
When I replaced the bulbs this evening, I could hold the 3057 while it was lit in my hand without burning. The same cannot be said of the stock 4157, as it's VERY hot.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
My mom's '05 Highlander did this a few years ago. Told Toyota about it and they didn't do crap. Said she could buy new lights and that was it. Stock bulbs. No idea why it happens.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
The daytime running lights melting is a known problem. You should lay into them for it to be free. Serious. It happens to every truck eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There are many threads on this. No one has come up with a reason. My 2010 doesn't have this issue.
It seems to be an issues with very few as far as this board shows. If this happens to all Tacoma's with a little time, why have not all the owners of at least the '05 model complained? There are about 6 threads on this.. total.. you could find more posts on which floor mat to buy... doesn't sound like a major issue at Toyota. Shit happens, not need to blow it out of proportion.

Frank
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Air Force:
Poacher's Tacoma Gallery
I called Toyota back and said I would pass on their offer and that since it is a known problem with a TSB and I have it serviced by their dealer, they should do something about it.

I don't expect much.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The melting DTRL are not an eventuality for every Tacoma , DTRL has been mandatory on every Tacoma sold in Canada since the '05's and I haven't seen this as a prevelant issue here .

It happens , but it's the exception not the rule .
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The melting DTRL are not an eventuality for every Tacoma , DTRL has been mandatory on every Tacoma sold in Canada since the '05's and I haven't seen this as a prevelant issue here .

It happens , but it's the exception not the rule .
o.k. I was just putting 2 and 2 together. If you shop on ebay, nearly every single used headlight has a melted drl.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Im glad mine came with the DRL delete.....
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
o.k. I was just putting 2 and 2 together. If you shop on ebay, nearly every single used headlight has a melted drl.
Really.. ? Find just 3 and post links.

Frank
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
It seems to be an issues with very few as far as this board shows. If this happens to all Tacoma's with a little time, why have not all the owners of at least the '05 model complained? There are about 6 threads on this.. total.. you could find more posts on which floor mat to buy... doesn't sound like a major issue at Toyota. Shit happens, not need to blow it out of proportion.

Frank
43K miles on my truck with most of it added during the day so my DTRLs are on a lot. Not one indication of melting but I haven't checked in a few months.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, look, 9 assemblies that remind me of my hunks of junk.

Toyota Dealership near me says bring it in, they'll call a manager to look at it and "go from there."

Stay tuned....