1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering new Taco 2.7 stick

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by norfla71, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    norfla71

norfla71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've started looking at new vehicles for commuting and remembered what vehicles used to be like when I was in high school: basic, shift for yourself, your muscles powered the windows and you could perform all basic maintenance without an engineering or technical degree. Plus they seemed to last forever, even when beaten on.

I have all gas hogs and will be replacing one of them with something basic that gets decent mileage. The only thing that even remotely fits is a base Taco R/C. A car would be better for fuel mileage but won't last nearly as long as a basic truck (and I've seen trucks from the mid 80's with over half a million on the clock still running. My closest friend's dad had a beige one with a 4 speed and brown vinyl bench, no a/c or radio, and factory bias ply tires!) Plus, I have a lot of good memories about dropped mini's in the 80's, though this one will only receive minor bolt-ons to increase efficiency.

2. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    love mine go for it

3. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Get the truck, you wont regret it! Great MPG's , Less maintinence, and super reliable. I love the 5 speed paired with the 2.7L!

4. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    95Gstman

95Gstman Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 Reg. Cab 4x4 Tacoma
    Love my 09 reg. cab. Has manual windows/locks/transmission just like I like it. Mine is a 4x4 though so mileage is just ok. About 23 mpg.

5. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    It's a great set up but don't expect it to be a power house but it gets the job done with no problems.

6. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    2011TacoBeav

2011TacoBeav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 v6 auto DCSB
    Self made rear bumper Colormatched Bush Wackers CB Center console lock box Camo seat covers Weathertech Digi blk Bilstein 5100s set at .85 Eibach coils LR UCAs Rear 1.5" block
    Honestly... If your looking for a reliable commuter I'm not sure this is the best fit.

It's kinda hard for me to co
    Pare these new taco as to the older reliable tricks to yesterday years. I was born in the 80s and I doubt trucks will ever be as reliable as those old yotas.

I have a 4x4 2.7 4 cyl and get about 22 mugs which is really good for me. A five lug will get better

I guess in comparison to other vehicles of same class pick ups thus would probably be the best choice.

But for my experience so far... A plastic bed that cracked in the first few weeks I got the truck along side a bed that was mounted a full 1.5" off center from the frame... I would say Toyota has fallen very very far from it's roots.

This is not to say my truck is a hunk of junk. Lol. I absolutely love it. But I love it in a way that I dont have over expectations from it. I realize quality as a whole has gone down and realize this is the best of mid size pick ups you can get these days.

Bottom line... Get a car if your looking for reliability and good mpgs alone.

If your looking to carry things around... With decent dependability and mpgs get a Tacoma

If your looking to have a ton of fun... Join this forum and buy a 4x4 taco and you'll never be short of awesome things to do

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio

Sounds like you know what you want. Get the base model 4x2; not the pre runner or 4x4, for maximum simplicity and lowest cost.

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have an 09 5lug 2wd regular cab 5speed as my work truck. It's 3 years old now, 54K miles. It is loaded down with probably 1000 pounds or so of high rise shell, parts, and tools. Getting 17-19 miles per gallon. Mostly in town, occasional freeway at 70MPH for 20-30 miles.

We just put the third set of tires on. The originals were crappy to begin with, the boss does not believe in rotating tires:rolleyes: and buys the cheapest ones he can get as well. Other than that, it goes to Jiffy Lube every 4500-5000 miles for an oil change, I change the air filter as needed. No other maintenance has been done or is likely to be done on this truck. The bosses 2005 has 110K on it and has been treated the same. The only issue he has had was the rear wheel bearings failed at 80K miles. But I don't fault the truck for that, I have seen him with 1000 pounds in the back and a trailer hooked to the rear bumper with the suspension resting on the bump stops more than a few times. And I am sure it's never had the rear end fluid changed before that happened.

So far the only thing I have any concerns about is the life of the clutch. I am the second guy to drive it and have had it for 20K miles. The clutch has been squealing when slipped to start on a hill for at least 25K or so, the last guy who drove it mentioned it to me when he turned it in. And it's also very easy to get the clutch hot trying to back out of a steep, winding driveway as well. That seems to just be how the new Tacos are. My six speed 4x4 also seems to have a sensitive clutch. And it's not just me, lots of guys talking about this on the board here.

I don't work on it myself, but I have maintained past vehicles myself, and it appears to be quite reasonable to access most things you might need to replace or maintain.

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    base model is the 5 lug? and pre runner is 6 lug? im a 6 lug and have no "prerunner" badge on mine. but ive seen others with it. what is the difference?

10. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It sounds like someone decided to leave the badge off on yours. If it's a 6lug 4x2, it's a prerunner.

11. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Prerunner is the 6 lug and has the 4x4 suspension components (roughly: spindles, hubs, upper lower control arms, struts, springs, shocks.)

If you have a prerunner with no prerunner badge, it just means someone took off the badges.

12. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    ahhhh okay thank you guys. always wondered that. :D

13. Oct 12, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    norfla71

norfla71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info guys; just fishing to get a feel from other owners. I have a Super Duty 250 and Ram 3500 for the grunt work; this will be strictly for commuting and having fun on weekends, so the bed will actually get little use from me and will be covered with something to make a big trunk. I don't want another car (Yota or otherwise); it's hard to find any car that will go more than a couple of hundred thousand without huge problems anymore, and I can fix nearly anything on the Taco. Maintenance, at least for serviceability, reminds me of old German cars- they were meant to be driven hard for many, many years and fluids were easy to change. That's part of the reason why older BMW's are so popular.

14. Oct 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I love my 5 lug. Aside from some very minor issues, I'm completely satisfied. I regularly get 27+ MPG. And maintenance is very easy on the 2.7.

15. Oct 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    so far i love my AC 2.7 5 speed, you definately wanna go with the manual, they get better MPGs and get up and go way faster, plus they are a blast to drive! i have only put 8k miles on my truck but have had zero problems with it yet!

16. Oct 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have the 2.7L 5 speed. It has better pickup than my old 22re engine did. The ride feels solid too. The only thing I question right now is the cheap paint and the questionable pay load.

Products Discussed in

To Top