Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower Valence Painting

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Jabe is on a distinguished road
Name: Gabe
Jabe's Tacoma Gallery
Lower Valence Painting

Hey guys im looking to paint the lower valence. Just a few questions. 1st- What paint works the best or which have you guys used and 2nd- whats the process, like just some light sanding ?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-dip FTW. Had mine on for over a month and can't believe how well its been holding up. It can just peel off like a sticker. No sanding or anything
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabe View Post
Hey guys im looking to paint the lower valence. Just a few questions. 1st- What paint works the best or which have you guys used and 2nd- whats the process, like just some light sanding ?
Krylon fusion, sand, adheision promoter, primer, paint, clear coat. For the best finish.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine Plasti-dipped too (when I had a stock bumper)...I cleaned the surface and put on 6 coats...after all the wheeling out here in the desert with rocks and everything else...NOT 1 CHIP!

Plus its removable
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Krylon fusion, sand, adheision promoter, primer, paint, clear coat. For the best finish.
x2 if you must paint it
Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Personal experience with plasti dip, I wouldn't recomend it to my best friend or my worst enemy. Waste of $6.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Personal experience with plasti dip, I wouldn't recomend it to my best friend or my worst enemy. Waste of $6.
thats weird...worked great for me and everyone else I know...you must be special
Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
thats weird...worked great for me and everyone else I know...you must be special
Eh lots of mixed opinions on the stuff. I used it on my BDF light bar and it just seamed weak. That was after multiple coats and cure time. I'd rather paint or powder coat personally. Just comes down to preference.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Eh lots of mixed opinions on the stuff. I used it on my BDF light bar and it just seamed weak. That was after multiple coats and cure time. I'd rather paint or powder coat personally. Just comes down to preference.
I agree...I mean it worked fine for my valence and I'm even running it on my rear bumper....I have 11 coats of that shit on there...all thin coats and it looks mint...just looks like matte black paint. I agree that each circumstance is different though

Its just a easy fix type thing....nothing I'd recommend as a permanent job ya know? Some people go ape shit over the stuff...like using it inside the cab of the truck and every other fuckin place LMAO!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #10
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

Name: Michael
Chronism's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine Line-X'ed a little less than 11 months ago (along w/ skid plate) and it's held up fine. Looks nice too with the added texture. Should be a pic in my gallery.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I used Rustoleum Bedliner and it came out great. It has a nice texture to it that I like also. Very minimal prep work required for bedliner, just a quick rough up with a rough sponge, tape it off and have at it. If you use the Rustoleum, spray something else to get used to the spray, it comes out a lot thicker than normal spray paint and it's easy to get runs if you're not careful.

In my opinion, if you're on the fence about painting your valance because you don't know if you'll like it, use plasti-dip, if you've made up your mind and want it permanent, use either paint or bed liner.