Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do you tell if your Tacoma has the towing package?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
How do you tell if your Tacoma has the towing package?

It has been brought to my attention that the towing package nearly doubles the towing capacity of I4 5-speeds. We brought our Tacoma used and there is no written record of a towing package except that when you run the VIN, it comes back as being able to tow 6,500lbs. So, before I blow my engine trying to do something I may not be able to do, how/where/what can I check to see if I have the towing package?

Thank you!!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the 6,500 pound was for the v6 with the towing package, not the I4
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car-...number=7746527 Take a look down at the bottom. I may be reading this wrong, but it sure sounds like they're talking about mine. I also checked the online PDF manual from Toyota and it says on "page 465" http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_6-1.pdf
Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car-...number=7746527 Take a look down at the bottom. I may be reading this wrong, but it sure sounds like they're talking about mine. I also checked the online PDF manual from Toyota and it says on "page 465" http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_6-1.pdf

I see what you are reading there but it just doesn't seem right for the I4

On my truck it came with the receiver, wiring and on the fan clutch is pink on mine, that is really all I can think of, mines an '08 with a V6.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't. When we bought, I even stopped the sales guy and asked "really.....really??"

I don't understand how they COULD double the towing capacity from a 1st gen to 2nd while still keeping a 2.7 and similar torque etc.

That's why I'm thinking there has to be a physical way I can check this, besides hooking it up to a 16' and going up a hill :P
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
No expert here; just trying to help. My manual has you at 3500 lbs pg. 487, of the attached file.

Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota Tacoma 2011 User Manual Sections 5-7.pdf (3.86 MB, 308 views)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No tow package for the 4 bangers.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #8

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
From the mouth of Toyota Dealership Service Desk: 4-Cyl can have a towing package and that can boost the capacity to 6,500lbs. HOWEVER, they searched my VIN in their database and no, I do not have a towing package. Despite some jerkwad putting a trailer hitch on and giving me false info. BITCHES!!

Edit: not you guys being the bitches....the sale sheet that gave me faulty info!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
From the mouth of Toyota Dealership Service Desk: 4-Cyl can have a towing package and that can boost the capacity to 6,500lbs. HOWEVER, they searched my VIN in their database and no, I do not have a towing package. Despite some jerkwad putting a trailer hitch on and giving me false info. BITCHES!!
It really can't and dealerships have been proven to be morons. It can move the weight but that isn't towing.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
scratch that. read the manual wrong.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #11

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It really can't and dealerships have been proven to be morons. It can move the weight but that isn't towing.
Again, I asked, and I clarified, and I asked again just now, on the phone. They swore up and down that 4-cyls can have them. Going through the manual, though, there is NO MENTION of a 4-cyl with tow, so, forgive me, but I really do believe you now
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
i know i would never tow over 3000lbs with my 4 banger!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Tow package on my V6 added engine oil cooler, auto transmission oil cooler, high-capacity alternator and battery, wiring for brake controller and connector for it and trailer lights at rear bumper, and, of course, the hitch receiver bar. That's all I can find different; I don't even think there was a higher capacity radiator added. Nothing different with springs or shocks which are the same as the 4 banger.

I see no reason why someone couldn't tow 6500 lbs with a 4 banger if they wanted to... with the right hitch of course. It will just be a dog doing it so they should slow down and save the engine.

There are after-market oil coolers you can get for oil and tranny to keep lubricants from breaking down early and adding to engine and tranny wear. The only need I see for the alternator and battery are to aid with trailer batteries for brakes and accessories, let your trailer's needs guide you there.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07DCSB View Post
This.
However note that the ABILITY to do the work doesn't make the work fall within the vehicle's specifications. Have a look at the vehicle's GCWR rating. Basically, the hauling limit is GCWR MINUS TOTAL TRUCK WEIGHT.....
Understood. But what goes in to setting that number?

See your point about the corvette... a unibody vehicle should never be used to tow more than a bicycle trailer. But a Tacoma frame, body and suspension is the same whether it's 4 banger or V6.

The weight differential, though, is worth thinking about even on a V6. The way the semi's do it is to have the (relatively) flyweight tractor carry 1/2 the load directly over the rear axles with a 5th wheel. Tacoma 5th wheel's are kinda theoretical, but an appropriate equalizing hitch should do much the same thing and go a long way to keeping even a 6500lb load under control. IME, highly recommended regardless of whether it's 4 or 6 banger.