Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oversize tires + increased MPG?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Five lugger is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Five lugger's Tacoma Gallery
Oversize tires + increased MPG?

My 2 wheel drive Taco is on order, expected for the end of November. For appearance, ground clearance (another inch or two would be perfect, compared to my Frontier) AND a hopeful increase in MPG, I am thinking of a Readylift 69-5510 lift kit, 16" or 17" wheels and tires with an OD of about 30" with the hopeful benefits of a larger diameter, 10% lower RPMs, speedometer off (current truck was off 10% from new, in 1999 and still is), and acceleration compromise are OK, flatland interstate highway almost exclusively. Four wheel drive is just a bigger expense initially and at the fuel pump than I want. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not overly familiar with the 5-luggers and how they're geared but that worked for my V6. I went with a 1" taller tire and increased my MPG's. No noticable decline in acceleration. There are a lot of things to consider though, if you go from a light, H/T tire to a heavy A/T tire that's taller, then you might off set any gains. Also, a lift kit can hurt your fuel economy even without changing the tires.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five lugger View Post
My 2 wheel drive Taco is on order, expected for the end of November. For appearance, ground clearance (another inch or two would be perfect, compared to my Frontier) AND a hopeful increase in MPG, I am thinking of a Readylift 69-5510 lift kit, 16" or 17" wheels and tires with an OD of about 30" with the hopeful benefits of a larger diameter, 10% lower RPMs, speedometer off (current truck was off 10% from new, in 1999 and still is), and acceleration compromise are OK, flatland interstate highway almost exclusively. Four wheel drive is just a bigger expense initially and at the fuel pump than I want. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you.
A lift is going to increase drag, bigger tires= more weight and drag. You will Decrease your MPG's garanteed. Why get a lift/bigger tires if you dont plan on getting 4x4? Your reasoning is flawed man.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
A lift is going to increase drag, bigger tires= more weight and drag. You will Decrease your MPG's garanteed. Why get a lift/bigger tires if you dont plan on getting 4x4? Your reasoning is flawed man.
Best Answer (read correct).

Frank
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
wingspar will become famous soon enough

wingspar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
And, your speedometer will probably be incorrect, which will give you false MPG’s.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
And, your speedometer will probably be incorrect, which will give you false MPG’s.
True. There are ratio calculators which can work this out for you. When I had 33" on my last truck; when I was going 100 KPH, I was really going 120 KPH. So my odometer was not reading 20 KM for every 100 I did.

Frank