1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POLL: For those who have DTRL and its melting your lights.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brian, Oct 13, 2011.

?

DTRL Melting your lights?

1. I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug, no issues.

31.4%
  2. I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug, no issues

24.2%
  3. I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket

38.6%
  4. I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket

5.9%
  1. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    wacked

wacked Well-Known Member

Member:
    Katy, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner
    Any updates on the theory on this? I have two wires and a browned socket and melted lenses.

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Either the 2nd filament is not being used, or it is running at the same time as the primary filament.

The DRL/turn signal switching is handled through the flasher and harness under the dash.

To "properly" disable DRL requires a shorting jumper and an 8-pin flasher.
    The DRL harness and 12-pin flasher is unplugged from the underdash fuseblock, the 8-pin flasher is plugged in to one socket, and the shorting pin is plugged into the other.

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    My 2010 Canadain truck (50,000 miles ) has melted both lenses and completely burnt both harnesses and the sockets for the bulbs . 2 wire socket , no blacked out head lights .

I am suprised the truck hasnt burnt my garage down yet cuz I run the truck in the mornings with my command start . Suprisingly , the dtrl still function

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Biodegradable

Biodegradable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 DBLC LB
    ALL-PRO Skid, Nokian R-SUV winters, weather tech, bak flip fibermax
    Victim here of cracked and cracking lenses. I took pictures to send to a dealer and here is their response (I've left it for now but will bring it up with them shortly). I had a WTF moment, and could literally feel the bristles against my face from the brush off.

Me:
    "Headlights, see attached picture (I'm only including one picture), both have cracks (from inside of lens forming on both head lights), can this be warrantied?"

Dealer:
    "[FONT=&quot]I received the email back from my Toyota rep and from the picture we see he stated it does not look like a warrantable item. He stated that normally this happens when pressure is put on them, and there is no pressure from inside out. We can take a look at them and get some more pictures to send him.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Thanks,"[/FONT]

5. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Can you post the pic here? This thread is about burned/cracked DRL lenses, which are the inside lenses over the turn signals.

The DRLs won't cause cracking of the clear outer shell.

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I sure hope this issue was resolved long before the '13. Makes me glad I can turn off my DRL's if I want too in the '13 model.

7. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I have an '09 sport dcsb which did not come with dtrl. However, I noticed my bulbs are dual filament and only two wire. Only the brighter filament comes on with the blinkers. I spliced into the parking lights and fed the spice into the back of the socket where there was a plugged wire port. Now I have dtrl with the dimmer filament on with the the parking lights. The brighter filament still only lights with the blinkers. No melted lenses after 4 years. Wonder if it's the brighter filament being on all the time that is melting the lenses on other trucks. I'm sure it gets hotter and isn't meant to be on all the time, just blink.

8. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    MadMedic35

MadMedic35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sandhills, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT DCSB
    Fox 2.5 coilover, TC UCA, FOX 2.5 res rear shock, OME leaf pack, SCS Ray-10 gold, Nitto Ridge Grappler, SoftTopper. On order: Relentless Fab Summit Bumper, HC rear bumper with tire carrier, sPOD, Powertray,
    Here's my story: Noticed both DTRL were melted right around 45k miles. Brought it to service department attention and was offered free labor if I buy the lights since it was out of warranty. I declined since it wasn't that big of deal to me. Then I researched it and found it was a huge prevalent deal. At the 50K service I asked to speak with service manager and the GM. After some rapport building and negotiation they offered to pay for lights if I pay for labor at the warranty labor rate. So I am paying $170 for lights instead of $600. Not the best answer as Toyota should be recalling this issue but they aren't so I am relatively happy.

9. Apr 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Rokon

Rokon Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR DC - Stock
    How the truck is driven could influence the issue. I haven't had the problem but don't spend any time not moving in traffic and most of the miles are at highway speed. The additional cooling provided by moving could make a difference. If most of the problems are in congested areas you may need to factor this into the analysis.

10. Apr 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    MadMedic35

MadMedic35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sandhills, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT DCSB
    Fox 2.5 coilover, TC UCA, FOX 2.5 res rear shock, OME leaf pack, SCS Ray-10 gold, Nitto Ridge Grappler, SoftTopper. On order: Relentless Fab Summit Bumper, HC rear bumper with tire carrier, sPOD, Powertray,
    Not to be a complete ass...but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I live in a rural area in the Sandhills of NC. Most of my driving is at 55 mph or higher. This is a Toyota design flaw and they know it

11. May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    RoninTaco

RoninTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road Super White
    I have 09 DC with two wires and melted lens.

12. May 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    No issues and I actually put silverstars in mine before I did the BHLM. 2 Wires by the way.

Definitely no issues now :)
    DSC_0340_243645c93f0243d5c4f42afe9e04d0caf81b9f58.jpg

DSC_0338_74429130e281d407656327466b655485027e4277.jpg

DSC_0342_80a5aa83d0ff351fc37553d57af8485fce9bf51f.jpg

Stock Lens taken out of the head light. The round circles in the middle are there from the factory.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  13. May 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    When my first blinker burned out I just went and got a pair that said 3157/4157 on the package. Couple of weeks later the other side blinker burned out so I replaced it as well. About 6 months later I noticed the lenses were melted/cracked. I went and got some blubs that just said 3157 and put those in, not sure if it made a difference but it so far doesn't look any worse.

Is there an LED bulb that will work without having to run a separate resistor? If so what's the brand/part #?

14. May 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I would like to know that myself as I blew a fuse with the cheap led bullshit I bought off of Amazon.

15. May 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    "CK" type LEDs will work without blowing the fuses, but you will get hyperflash without adding a resistor... and I wouldn't run a resistor on a DRL. That's a lot of heat.
    Probably better just to hook up a lower wattage bulb in parallel with the LEDs and stash it under the hood where it'll stay dry and ventilated.

16. Jun 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    SWCCBEE

SWCCBEE So Cal Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Santa Rita, GU
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner, SR5, TRD Sport
    WeatherTech floor liners, In process of Debadge, Leveling kit, Tires, Limo tint, Custom TRD SPORT Decal, "ImMrYo" Rear view lifting bar, Ultra gauge, relocated horn.
    I have a friend at work that noticed mine were in the process of melting. He told me his melted and cracked the inner lens, he bought new lights, and right as the second set started to melt he replaced the bulbs w/ lower wattage ones. No issues in three years.

17. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Hmmm.. hyperflash mod? :D

18. Jun 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    elsenordave

elsenordave HaoleBilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave Smith
    |-| /-\ \/\/ /-\ | |
    Vehicle:
    Blown 2013 NBM DCSB Sport
    AFE CAI TRD Exhaust TRD Supercharger 3" Cornfed Spacer 2" Toytec AAL
    My advice is to report instances to your local dealer. Even if they don't fix them have them submit a product report...TMS says is a localized issue to the hotter tropical climes...ie hawaii, Florida & PR...if collectively we force the issue and report it can affect change...I do a handful a month and send in a product report and pictures...oddly none of my 2nd gens had the issue but I didn't own them long enough to find out...just my two cents

19. Jun 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I had burn in on my lenses on my 2009. Not sure how many wires because I sold it. My 2013 has switchable DTRLs. I keep them off probably 98% for this reason. I just wish the DRL switch was on the other side of off.

20. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Zarny

Zarny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prem
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    How?
    I don't see any switch for mine?

Products Discussed in